• Just a reminder that you won't be able to start new posts or reply to existings posts in the Archive forum.

This is where all the old posts go so they can still be used for reference and searched.
  • Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Newbie Needing Help

CallmeGoof

Loc.
Crivitz, WI
Hello. I purchased a 66 Bronco Half Cab that is in the most crapy condition. It is full of rust and I want to rebuilt it to full condition. I saw an Trucks espisode where Stacy rebuilt a 66 half cab called Crazy Horse and that is where I got the idea. But since I am new I was wondering what others might suggest. I really would like to put 40'' tires on it but my hubby says it is not possible unless I do some major body reconstuction. Does anyone have any suggestions for me?

Thanks,

Jen

broncomanbrad

Loc.
Roseau, MN
Yup, get ready for a lot of work. If it's 40 inchers you want it'll definitely take some lifts and cuts. It'd probably help the Bronco pros on here if you'd give them a couple of pictures. If there's a lot of rust i'm guessing they'd suggest a new fiberglass body.... HAVE FUN! ;D

broncobsession

Bronco Guru
Welcome aboard. If you are just looking for tire clearance: cut the fenders and quarters up close to the body line, add chucks 6.5" suspension lift (plus any mods needed to fit said lift), add alloy shafts and big u joints to a dana 44 (or since you don't have one to start with just get a dana 60), at least 31 spline (even better with 35) shafts for a big bearing 9" (again, you have a small bearing 9" to start with), add some 5.13 gears...then figure on disc brakes, power steering (maybe even ram assist for those 40" tires), and you might start to get the picture. Do you have any more details? Like what is your motor/trans combo and what axles are you running? Does it have rust everywhere or just in specific places (floors, rocker panels, etc.)? Welcome to a wonderful yet money and time-consumptive hobby ;D

OP
OP
CallmeGoof

CallmeGoof

Loc.
Crivitz, WI
More details huh? Well this what I got and have done. I have riped out the entire dash & steering. Removed the seats, carpet (which was indoor/outdoor) and there are holes of rust through out the floor boards. I am planning on learning to weld very soon. I bought this bronco off of ebay from some (excuse the term) hillbillies. SO this thing is in aweful condition.

Currently it has Dana 44 front and 9'' on the rear. A inline 6 engine, CID? 3 speed transmission and a Dana 20 transfer case, I think.

Future mods, Aluminum stroked 302, tranny to be determined (suggestions?) and either a Clune V Atlas or a 203/205 doubler (suggestions?). Axles probably a Ford 9'' front and rear with true high 9's (suggestions?). And far future mod four link front and rear with coil overs.

Vehicle will be used for on and off road purposes. Rock crawling, I should say.

Jen

Working on pics

broncobsession

Bronco Guru
Wow...that's a pretty nice start and you've got sweet plans for it. Do you want to wheel it now while gathering parts or just keep it out of commission and do the whole project in one shot? I you wanted to wheel now you could throw an NP435 granny tranny and go...the 6 cylinder will give you the low end and since you've already got the d44/9" you would do alright. As for the future, sunray makes a sweet front 9" hybrid and that true high pinion 9" looks to be the real deal. For the engine/trans question, Tazz (do a search) on this board has a NP435/CluneV/Atlas combo and I think he likes it ;) check it out here: http://www.classicbroncos.com/forums/showthread.php?t=40738

For trannies, the ZF and NV4500 are pretty nice -- both have 5 speeds with a low 1st gear and ~.75 5th gear so you get the best of both worlds. Good luck and post some pics when you get a chance?

broncobsession

Bronco Guru
Where are you by the way? Rust is defined differently from Cali to Texas to New York (right 2bad ;) ) so you may have it pretty easy compared to some others around here. Do you know all the parts houses already? If not, there are links around the border of every page here at CB.com and you pretty much can't go wrong with any of these places.

Amac70

ME
heres a pic of jim coles bronco "cage offroad" Hes running 40 mtr's I believe hes only running 3.5 suspension and a body lift. and a lot of fender trimming to get them under there.

cage.jpg

OP
OP
CallmeGoof

CallmeGoof

Loc.
Crivitz, WI
The Bronco was bought in Nebraska and it now is laying dead in my driveway in Wisconsin (far northern). (And no I am not a Packer fan.)

Bronco will most likely be out of commision for a year or two. Hopefully, will be complete before it has it's first taste of wheeling.

Thanks for the Pic. I think that is the route I will take but I do not want a body lift unless I have to. I was thinking 6'' of lift. What do you all think?

Jen

BoltBuster

Bronco Guru
I guess you have to ask yourself first if your in for the long haul on a project that may last you 4 years or longer. Unless you have Jesse James money and resources, its going to take time.

Then ask yourself what you want this vehicle to do for you. Trail, Street Show or Daily driver and set it up from there. Its not impossible for 40s but if your going that direction then your going to have to really dump some money into it with gears,horsepower, cooling and lift or suspension.

I'm not a huge fan of fiberglass tubs. I have read some new composites out there that are stiffer than what was sold in the past. If I was at that level of reconstruction at purchase then I would go that route verses purchasing, installing and finishing the metal work that exist now.

Welcome aboard to the longest lasting addiction known to man other than a wife and lawyer~ ;D

casadejohnson

Bronco Alchemist
Just my opinion but I don't like fiberglass for anything but hoods. I had a buddy with a fiberglass tub and we destroyed it rock crawling in Wyoming. We both slid our rig into the same tree on a muddy hill. I got a small dent in my passengers side quarter panel from the tree and he got a quarter panel busted into three pieces! I wish I still had the photos.

Anyway, I wish my wife had your passion for bronco's. I'm sure my mods would progress faster is she was a bronco fan!

73stallion

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Eugene, OR
welcome to the bronco world, it's nice to see another lady bronco owner. looks like you have quite a project ahead of you.

OP
OP
CallmeGoof

CallmeGoof

Loc.
Crivitz, WI
Well time is not of the essence. I am not in a hurry. I am just getting tired of riding in the passenger seat. (Hubby has a 95 Bronco with a killer SAS.) I still need to learn how to weld. I am planning on taking a class for that.

Don't think I will need a fiberglass body. Body needs repair but I think it is do-able with the accessories and pieces out there for the early Bronco. I need to pull the body off but I have to wait until I replace the floor pans, door striker and rocker panels before it will be sturdy enough to remove. Then I can get a good look at the frame. Looks ok from what I can see.

FYI, my hubby does not know how lucky he is. I was completely there when he did his SAS and I think I know more about his vehicle than most women do about there hubby's ride.

Jen

feitctaj

FNG
Loc.
Group W Bench
build a rotisere, it will be your savior, and time saver. and you can and should build this in your welding class , Great to practice on and get yourself moving on things you need. ;)