• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Newest/Best PS BOX

greatguy57078

Contributor
Bronco Guru
I know that this has been covered before, but I thought there might be a newer solution/option out there as the last thread I read was a few years ago on this issue.

I am looking for the best upgrade modern day. The truck that I am buying for will probably never see the trail again, as I have too much money into it now.

I have read about the Delphi as well as the Borgeson boxes. Some are $500 all the way up to $900. I am running the Explorer front dress with the Explorer pump right now.

What's the best option for a 99% street machine Bronco?:cool:

DirtDonk

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Do you have a stock power steering box now?
Nothing wrong with running one of those if it's in good shape. Having it rebuilt if it's not, and even converting it to 4-turn from 6-turn if yours is an older one.
With smaller tires, if you're going to be running a smaller sporty steering wheel too, even the 6-turn boxes don't seem so bad with the smaller steering wheel. That's what I run on my '68, but eventually will still probably try a 4-turn box anyway. But it's perfectly acceptable at the moment.

A local rebuilder "might" be less expensive, but then again might not. Then there are the national rebuilders that you access through the big box stores. Probably the cheapest, but also the most questionable. And you need to be able to have your vehicle down for anywhere from 2 weeks to many months.
Sometimes the new box is still the better deal after all.

What size tires will you be running? Even if on the street there are still strength limitations to the stock boxes. But there are thousands of them still running around with 33" and even 35" tires and are still alive.
But a new Delphi box would probably be the better choice anyway, if you're running larger tires.

Good luck. Tough choice in a way. But basically there's no reason to go to the trouble of installing a 4x4x2 box, or scouring the junkyards for a Nissan or Toyota box of the appropriate model, when there are still two perfectly good choices.
I may be out of touch on this, but I have not heard of anything new coming down the pike in the way of "new" steering box options.

Paul

OP
OP
greatguy57078

greatguy57078

Contributor
Bronco Guru
I have a 2.5" lift...and a 1" body lift....with 33x12.5" tires/wheels. I was wondering why the big price jump between the $500 and the $900 boxes?

Mine is a stock '76 4 turn box, but I did not have the sector replaced when I had it rebuilt a few years back...and I probably should have.

I am looking to buy a new box so that I don't have to wait to drive my Bronco. I will be building another Bronco at some point so an extra PS box laying around wouldn't hurt my feelings.

Jfryjfry

Call Lee power steering. Hands down the best. They can set you up or just give you advice.

Timmy390

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Loc.
Conway, AR
I've been running the Borgeson version of the Delphi box for several years now. 2.5SL, 1 BL and 33's with no issues. I've used both the stock pump and the canned ham.

No matter what box you use I suggest upgrading the frame in the mounting area. I added plate to both sides and knocked out the stock inserts and replaced them with 1/4 wall DOM.

Tim

Broncobowsher

Total hack
For what you are asking, I would probably steer you to Duff's. It's a Delphi box like so many others. Hard to beat new parts, rebuilt is good but new is usually better.

But remember the steering is only as good as it's worst part. Wore out parts, bad geometry with the lift, cracked frame, and even what the rear suspension is like. A bad leaf spring bushing can sure feel like a loose front end.

OP
OP
greatguy57078

greatguy57078

Contributor
Bronco Guru
I have the Explorer serpentine setup with the Explorer pump. What fitting do I need for the Explorer end?

DirtDonk

Contributor
Bronco Guru
What’s the diffference between the 14:1 box and Toms $900 3.75 box?

I'd say it's because it sounds like a custom box made for them, and sold by them at lower volume than the other boxes available. Which are sold perhaps in the millions and slightly modified to work with an EB.
Close to the same reason that original power steering boxes are over $1000 and new ones are not. Number of units available for sale.

I have the Explorer serpentine setup with the Explorer pump. What fitting do I need for the Explorer end?

Takes a 16mm x 1.5 to -6 adapter. Ours is the F2068 with o-ring. https://www.wildhorses4x4.com/product/Fitting_6x16mmx1-5_lower_O-Ring/Off-Road_Hydraulics_Plumbing
You can also have custom hoses made with factory Explorer fittings at one end and whatever the box is at the other end.
Personally though, I like the re-usable hydraulic hose and fittings fitted to an AN fitting at each end. You can route them any way you want, as long or as short as you want, as clean as you want, and re-do it easily even on the trail or long lonesome highway while out looking for Bronson.

Paul

DirtDonk

Contributor
Bronco Guru
And speaking of which... A particularly clean way of routing a hose on an Explorer setup is to have the pressure side come out towards the passenger side, loop over and around the top of the main bracket, then down along the underside of said bracket all the way to the box.
Except for right up at the pump you hardly even see the hose through it's entire length.
There are even convenient studs on the bolts where you can attache hose clamps.

Paul

Shimmy

Contributor
1977 Bronco
Loc.
Maple Valley
Who is the PS box rebuilder in Washington State?

redheadsteeringgears.com

they've been around for a long time and the owner used to run a couple others shops.
i just got a quote from them and it's $618 plus parts to rebuild a stock 77 box. if a new sector shaft is needed they said it's an additional $250. not sure if that's truly beneficial when a borgeson box is $500 shipped these days

edit: didn't realize this thread was so old!

Last edited:

DirtDonk

Contributor
Bronco Guru
And no, I would no longer rebuild a stocker over an updated upgrade box.
Unless a full restoration is being done.

Broncobowsher

Total hack
Explorer pumps can work just fine. Nee the correct fitting from Lee's power steering (not the one that "fits" from the speed shop that holds the bypass valve open.

Generally takes a severe case to run into the limits of the Explorer pump. It's not like the Saginaw is the only pump that will work.