• Just a reminder that you won't be able to start new posts or reply to existings posts in the Archive forum.

This is where all the old posts go so they can still be used for reference and searched.
  • Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Nitrogen in tires

1970mule

Bronco Guru
so i get my tires rotated and stuff, and then the guy asked me for an extra $4 a tire we can put in nitrogen instead of regular air, i look at him and ask OK why. He then says because air is very caustic to tires and breaks them down fasters nitrogen. i say OK, sure sure%) .. i then ask him ok you but nitrogen on the inside so it wont break down what can you do for the outside since that pesky air is all around us and all on the outside of my poor tire. He looked at me and then realize he i guess i cant sell this eskimo a deep freezer. . what a stupid scam..

ep67bro

Contributor
Bronco Junky
Loc.
Easton, MD
I think it has to do with the moisture in compressed air. The nitrogen would not have the moisture content. But it still sounds like crap to me. I got a parts 71 bronco once that had the original tires on it and they were rotted on the out side not inside!!!

73stallion

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Eugene, OR
exactly! i worked in many tire shops, and have changed car and big truck tires. i never saw a tire dry rotted INSIDE.....

allenfahey

Bronco Guru
I was told by the mechanics at the dealership that the plus for the nitrogen in the tires is it holds air pressure better. Also the tires will last longer too. The machine that is used will change the air in the tire. Didn't cost me anything to do my tires but I haven't seen a difference yet in the wear???

mango

Loc.
Sarasota, FL
A friend of mine tried to convince me to go with the nitrogen. I passed on it. Might be a plus for fleet vehicles where the drivers might not check the air pressure regularly. I do.

Amac70

ME
I think the only plus with nitrogen is tire pressure should not very as much with heat. meaning your tires will stay the same pressure or closer to it with the nitrogen over regular air through heat and cool cycles.

broncnaz

Bronco Guru
X2 aon what Amac said the nitrogen doesnt heat like regular air does. So pressure stays more constant. In a 4x4 I probably wouldnt bother with nitrogen as we tend to air them up and down. Now a tow vehicle or passenger car its a good idea.

Broncology

So filling your tires with 100% nitrogen is going to make a difference over filling it will "regular" air that is already 78% nitrogen??? Its a scam....

broncnaz

Bronco Guru
So filling your tires with 100% nitrogen is going to make a difference over filling it will "regular" air that is already 78% nitrogen??? Its a scam....

Theres a big differance in 100% nitrogen and the stuff thats in the air we breathe. The aircraft industry has been using nitrogen in there tires for years mostly because its inert but also since it doesnt carry water and protects the rims and less pressure variance.
A lot of the over the road truck are also using nitrogen in the ned is it worth it? For most of us probably not.

gearida

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Newburgh, IN
Many guys are using Nitrogen in drag car tires for the reason mentioned above, they don't have to set tire pressure before each round. Plus some are using Nitrogen for gear actuators too, so with more reasons to use it, they feel it is worth it.

blubuckaroo

Grease Monkey
Loc.
Ridgefield WA
You would still have air in there unless you ran a vacuum pump on the tire first.
Works for those shops. A new sucker will come along.
Sort of like distilled water in your coolant. If it were important, they would sell water in the part store along with the anti-freeze.

broncnaz

Bronco Guru
You can have my tap water for your radiator then. While not manditory it does help especailly where I live the water is hard. Now you dont even need to use tap water as they sell a 50/50 mix not sure if they use distilled water or not but I would imagine that they would. Last gallon of distilled water i bought was way less (about 1/2 price0than a gallon of drinking water. Sure they are both more than tap water. But why add minerals to your radiator that dont need to be there.

The parts stores want you to buy a new radiator.

blubuckaroo

Grease Monkey
Loc.
Ridgefield WA
You can have my tap water for your radiator then. While not manditory it does help especailly where I live the water is hard. Now you dont even need to use tap water as they sell a 50/50 mix not sure if they use distilled water or not but I would imagine that they would. Last gallon of distilled water i bought was way less (about 1/2 price0than a gallon of drinking water. Sure they are both more than tap water. But why add minerals to your radiator that dont need to be there.

The parts stores want you to buy a new radiator.

Balderdash!
The horse and I breath the same air and drink from the same stream!

Bukin 67

Bronco Abuser
I air down too often to worry about paying extra for nitrogen every time I air back up. Not worth it at all to me.

BobbyA

Right now they can only get it to 96% nitrogen anyways. I work in a tire shop and I think it is a crock.