• Just a reminder that you won't be able to start new posts or reply to existings posts in the Archive forum.

This is where all the old posts go so they can still be used for reference and searched.
  • Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Nitrogen in tires

RajinCajun

Bronco Guru
Loc.
HawleyTX, La orig.
They put it in the planes tires and struts because of the extreme temp changes while in flight. Filtered air can also be used (such that you put into breating cylinders for diving). They do not want the water vapor in the tires or struts to condense at any point, or freeze and cause a heavy spot in the tires that go from 0 to 200mph :)

For a vehicle to me it is a waste of time and $.

bmc69

Contributor
Bronco Guru
They put it in the planes tires and struts because of the extreme temp changes while in flight. Filtered air can also be used (such that you put into breating cylinders for diving). They do not want the water vapor in the tires or struts to condense at any point, or freeze and cause a heavy spot in the tires that go from 0 to 200mph :)

For a vehicle to me it is a waste of time and $.

Actually..nitrogen is used in struts, high-pressure accumulators and all sorts of those kinds of things because it behaves pretty much like air when ir comes to gas law calcs, it is easy to produce, is 'dry' with regard to creating corrosion by oxidation, and..a real biggie..it no go boom when compressed to sharply or too much. It is, plain and simple, the cheapest completely inert gas we have t work with.

bmc69

Contributor
Bronco Guru
I don't know how they got it in but I've seen equipment tires filled with lead powder.

I've heard of tires being filled with cocaine..I wonder if that was also for improved tire milage or better tire wear...;D

Skiddy

Bronco Guru
I've heard of tires being filled with cocaine..I wonder if that was also for improved tire milage or better tire wear...;D

i don't know but i should be up longer and faster;D but i have heard after it is all used up they go flat real fast:p