• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

No fire to distributor

Bulldoglover

Broken inside the plastic coating to the distributor..Fixed it now

Last edited:

Viperwolf1

Contributor
electron whisperer
Go to the MSD website and look at the troubleshooting procedures for your system, whichever one it is.

wesleydax

could be the coil. how old is it? do you have a way to check spark at the plugs? with switch on do you still have 12v to the coil.

nvrstuk

Contributor
Just a Bronco driver for over 50 yrs!
X2 what Viperwolf said because the MSD will NOT have 12v to the + side of the coil with the key turned on...it's a capacitive discharge system and that isn't the way they work.... I built several of these decades ago...

Go to MSD's website before you waste $ on a new coil.

wesleydax

but shouldnt there still be a switched power wire going to the msd somewhere. It has been many many moons since ive messed with msd.

nvrstuk

Contributor
There should be a hot (recommended, but not by me) or switched 12V source which is the hvy gauge red wire to the main MSD module (at least the 6AL).

Pos side of the coil when running has something like 400 or 500 V...enough to feel like your elbow has just been ripped from your body if you touch it... : ) The small red wire coming from the MSD module is the switched source- check it for 12V when the key or module should have power.

This is memory, check it out...

malonejy

Bronco Guru
I've been following this post because I seem to have a very similar problem. Unfortunately I haven't figured it out yet. One area we're looking into now is the coil and does it need a ballast/resistor. (it is getting stupid hot) I wish I could recommend just searching this site but the conflicting information on ballasts/resistors is insane. Just something you may want to look into. I highly recommend finding out from the manufacturer. Don't just search and go with whatever the first post says.

nvrstuk

Contributor
Not quite right on the "only need a ballast resistor if you have points...".

You need a resistor wire or ballast resistor with a Duraspark system.

With a MSD system-- coil, module, distributor, you do not need voltage reduction at the coil because you do not wire the coil straight to 12V power...

2BroncFamily

Loc.
Hood River, OR
I've been having the same problem as described above. Bronco drives along nicely, then it dies just like the key was turned off. I had the electronic ignition module tested and it tested as failing, so I replaced it. That wasn't the problem. I pulled the wire off that runs from the coil to the distributor and had my wife turn the Bronco over, and I only got spark when the key was released. I could use some help in figuring this one out. Any ideas?

Justafordguy

Bronco Guru
I've been having the same problem as described above. Bronco drives along nicely, then it dies just like the key was turned off. I had the electronic ignition module tested and it tested as failing, so I replaced it. That wasn't the problem. I pulled the wire off that runs from the coil to the distributor and had my wife turn the Bronco over, and I only got spark when the key was released. I could use some help in figuring this one out. Any ideas?

Your problem sounds like the pickup in the distributor has gone bad. It's easy to check with an ohm meter. Check it for open circuit and short to ground.

Viperwolf1

Contributor
electron whisperer
Your problem sounds like the pickup in the distributor has gone bad. It's easy to check with an ohm meter. Check it for open circuit and short to ground.

400-800 ohms between org and pur wires. More than 10K ohms between either of those and blk.

DWB120958

Loc.
Zebulon
Whoa now. Sounds like we are all having a similar problem. Mine has the MSD ESpark modue which does require the Ballast to prevent shorting out the module. I started having misfires on cylinder 2...After a few late evening, going thru checking I have decide to spend 41 buck for a complete points distributor. If all wokrs out good then I will probably get another module but consider another set of points in the box (spare) set for about $10 or anpther module for $60. Thats a lot of Gas.
Dirtywhiteboy