• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

No Fire! Two Many Problems to List!

Lance

Loc.
Austin
Open to any suggestions, Sunday I took my bronco for a spin.I drove about three blocks for my house and it stalled, so I put it in park and started it up again and drove another block and it stalled again. So this time it wouldn't turn over, So I'm thinking I will turn to aux. tank and pump the gas peddle, and try to start it still nothing . After time had passed I tryed to turn it over and it started making a ticking sound and still no fire it was like the battery was dragging . The Lights and horn all work. Just will not turn over.

So I change the voltage regulator, and the Solenoid. I check to see if gas is flowing to the carb. And the starter and ing coil are fairly new Like 2 months or so. I try to start it again last night and still nothing just make that ticking sound. Please help if you can?

Skiddy

Bronco Guru
Sounds like your battery might be dead, or you have ground problem from your battery also your fuel filter could be clogged make sure it's getting spark also. If all that is good your starter may have gone south

67bondobronc

Also you may want to clean off battery terminals, solenoid, and starter connections just to make sure you are getting complete fire through them.

daddyg

Bronco Parts Collector
Loc.
Toney,AL
The clicking sounds like the battery doesn't have the juice to trip the solenoid. If you're sure the battery is charged make sure the battery connections are clean at the battery, solenoid and the ground on the block.

If you're sure you have fuel going to the carb, then make sure that fuel is getting to the engine by pressing the throttle connection at the carb and at the same time looking down in the carb. If your sure the engine is getting fuel then make sure you are getting a spark at the plugs. You can do this by sticking a screw driver in the end of a spark plug wire and then holding the screw driver close to the block and watching for an arc as someone spins the engine.

Good luck.

OP
OP
Lance

Lance

Loc.
Austin
Okay, here is the deal, Yesterday I changed the ground wire, check the battery and it was good. I blew out the fuel lines, and change the fuel pump cause their was no fuel coming out the line that connects to the carb. It turns over and then it dies. let me know what I should do next, does the carb need to be adjusted , How do I level out the bowls on the carb. I dont know what the hell to do?????????? Please Help:-[

Skiddy

Bronco Guru
OK seems to be a fuel delivery problem. Pour some gas down the carb and try to start it (not while standing over the carb) and see if it will start then. If so your pickup tube has rusted off or there still is a filter that is plugged. btw make sure there there is gas in the tank. I know it sounds stupid but I have done it%) %) (gas gauge it lil off)

Skiddy

Bronco Guru
Lance said:
Okay what pickup tube ? where the is that ??
Unfortunetly it is in the gas tank. I would save that one as the last resource though.

Jeepster

Bronco Guru
Lance said:
Okay, here is the deal, Yesterday I changed the ground wire, check the battery and it was good. I blew out the fuel lines, and change the fuel pump cause their was no fuel coming out the line that connects to the carb. It turns over and then it dies. let me know what I should do next, does the carb need to be adjusted , How do I level out the bowls on the carb. I dont know what the hell to do?????????? Please Help:-[

When you say "it turns over then it dies" what do you mean? Are you saying that it fires for a couple sec and dies or it just turns over without firing then won't turn over any more?

Lets clarify shall we. Engine turns over, you have spark,

will it run if you pour gas in the carb?

if yes, then is the carb getting gas on its own?

if no disconnect gas line from pump to carb/turn engine over/ should spurt gas.

if no disconnect gas line from tank to pump at pump and connect a temporary hose long enought to stick into a plastic jug of gas{or plastic gas can} turn engine over/ should have fuel spurting out now/

if not bad fuel pump/

if yes something wrong in gas tank/fuel line to tank/sending unit messed up/no gas in tank.......blow into line you disconnected at pump that goes to tank/ can you hear bubbles? Yes gas in tank/no=empty or pick up tube broken in which engine would run on a full tank till level droppes below pick up tube or stub of tube.

Either way you should be able to run engine sucking gas out of portable gas can if you reattach line to carb.............

Fix tank or set plastic gas can on passenger seat and call it good.;D

KempEl

Lance said:
Open to any suggestions, Sunday I took my bronco for a spin.I drove about three blocks for my house and it stalled, so I put it in park and started it up again and drove another block and it stalled again. So this time it wouldn't turn over, So I'm thinking I will turn to aux. tank and pump the gas peddle, and try to start it still nothing . After time had passed I tryed to turn it over and it started making a ticking sound and still no fire it was like the battery was dragging . The Lights and horn all work. Just will not turn over.

So I change the voltage regulator, and the Solenoid. I check to see if gas is flowing to the carb. And the starter and ing coil are fairly new Like 2 months or so. I try to start it again last night and still nothing just make that ticking sound. Please help if you can?
change battery i had the same problem. i relaced everything. didnt need to it was just the battery.

OP
OP
Lance

Lance

Loc.
Austin
Okay, I have blown out the fuel lines, checked battery its good, I put more gas in both tanks. I put a new fuel pump on. I had my dad adjust the idle mixer screws, and it ran fine. Today, I drove it to work and it ran fine but at lunch it die in line at mcdonalds, It was if it was starving for gas , I get it start and got the hell out of the way of people behind me. After work I am driving it home and it stalls out at the red light. I crank it up again get get to my house and it dies, try to start it up nothing. It turns over but no fire

Paco

Loc.
Pueblo, CO
Have you changed the fuel filter or filters lately? If yes, then you may have something blocking the pick up in the tank.

Jeepster

Bronco Guru
You need to get a clear fuel filter and put it in line before the carb/after the pump so you can see any junk in the fuel. Also even if you have fuel.http://www.dansperformanceparts.com/buggy/fuel/00-9065-0.gif they are about $7

You say no "fire"....is it sparking or just starving for fuel? If you crank it and spray starting fluid in the carb will it start?

I think you might have a fuel issue where maybe you have something in the tank plugging the flow. A clear filter will help to ID.

Wes harden

Sounds like it runs with a high level of fuel in the tanks, A dirty fuel filter will cut out under load, not so much at red light. I would be looking at the fuel pick ups in your tanks, but to have them both go bad at the same time. The problem happens on both tanks ?? I drop one tank to inspect the pick up. It sounds like it's the only thing you havn't done to the fuel system. One other thing not mentioned in any reply is vapor lock, how hot is the engine when the trouble starts, make sure your fuel lines are clear of your exhust.

OP
OP
Lance

Lance

Loc.
Austin
well I changed the ing. coil and it fires now. It runs in park. I drive it down the road and it stalls. So I guess I will need to check the drop tube. I talked to guy and he said to take off the sock filter that is might have something to do with it stalling. Does anyone have any thought on that!

Wes harden

the sock is a nylon screen on the end of the pick up tube when they get soft and mushie and can block off the tube, not nessasry if you maintian a good paper fuel filter before the carb.

Paco

Loc.
Pueblo, CO
Lance, did you change the fuel filter? I re-read your posts and I don't see that you changed the fuel filter.

OP
OP
Lance

Lance

Loc.
Austin
Wes harden said:
the sock is a nylon screen on the end of the pick up tube when they get soft and mushie and can block off the tube, not nessasry if you maintian a good paper fuel filter before the carb.

Okay so if i take off the sock and it's covered in crap , you think that could be the cause of the blockage. Also it it nessary to have the fuel vent line to the gas tank?

OP
OP
Lance

Lance

Loc.
Austin
Paco said:
Lance, did you change the fuel filter? I re-read your posts and I don't see that you changed the fuel filter.
Paco, sorry I did change the fuel filters.