• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

No IC lights help!

firekiller15

Loc.
Dallas, Tx
I have no power to my instrument cluster gauge lights...just replaced the headlight switch thinking it might be a bad rheostat, still have no power to the lights. I do have power to the ignition wire going to the IVR, and the turn signal lights function properly. Also, my gauges do not function. I did test them w/ a 9v battery and they tested fine while I had the cluster out of the dash, bulbs also appear in working order as well as the IVR. Are gauges and gauge lights on the same circuit or are they seperate. Please Help!

Viperwolf1

Contributor
electron whisperer
The ground is the same. Lights won't work without a ground and gauges will max. There is a fuse for the cluster lights too.

OP
OP
F

firekiller15

Loc.
Dallas, Tx
Where is the fuse located? Also, my high beam indicator and turn signal indicator lights do function properly. Could it be a bad IVR or ground?

Viperwolf1

Contributor
electron whisperer
It's the small fuse in the fusebox.

If the indicator lights work, the ground is probably OK.

Viperwolf1

Contributor
electron whisperer
The fuse is good...how can I check to see if it is grounded properly?

Fuse clips typically get rusty, preventing current flow.

Turn your lights on. Take a voltmeter and put one lead to the back of the cluster and the other to a nice bare spot on the firewall. Reading should be less than 0.5V. If it's more, the ground is bad.

OP
OP
F

firekiller15

Loc.
Dallas, Tx
Fuse clips typically get rusty, preventing current flow.

Turn your lights on. Take a voltmeter and put one lead to the back of the cluster and the other to a nice bare spot on the firewall. Reading should be less than 0.5V. If it's more, the ground is bad.

I'll double check the fuse clips...also just noticed there is no power going to the instrument panel fuse w/ the ignition and headlight switches on. Is that normal? Does'nt seem so.

Viperwolf1

Contributor
electron whisperer
I'll double check the fuse clips...also just noticed there is no power going to the instrument panel fuse w/ the ignition and headlight switches on. Is that normal? Does'nt seem so.

Nope, not normal. Do all the other lights work?

Viperwolf1

Contributor
electron whisperer
Yes. Could it be a bad connection coming out of the headlight switch wire harness/block to the fusebox? they seem tight.

Could be. There are (should be) no other connections between the sw and fuse though.