• Just a reminder that you won't be able to start new posts or reply to existings posts in the Archive forum.

This is where all the old posts go so they can still be used for reference and searched.
  • Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

no start help!!

dash8mx

I have ton's of trouble lately but now when i turn the key i don't even get a click from the solenoid at all. I have a new battery alternator, voltage regulator clean terminals and new 1/0 ground cable, starter and solenoid. I can jump the truck across the solenoid and the truck will start fine and run .It will turn off with the key, but no re-start with the key. Is this a symptum of a low battery or bad ignition switch or other? any insight or suggestions appreciated. Severely frustrated in va.Thanks william

2badrotties

Just a Bronco guy !
Loc.
Niskayuna N.Y.
Is your truck a automatic ? If so try holding the shift lever up when turning the key maybe neutral saftey switch. Try wiggling the lever around. I don't know, just a thought .

74bronc

Bronco Guru
Good thought on the neutral safety switch. If it is an automatic, I would start there. If not, pull the "S" terminal off the starter solenoid and check for voltage when the ignition switch is in the START position. If no voltage, your problem lies between the ignition switch and solenoid, start tracing wire back from there. Electrical diagnostics are a party!!! ;D

John

Since you can start it by jumping across the solenoid, it definately Sounds like the neutral safety switch. I had the exact same problem with my full size about ten years ago. Luckily it was under warranty and Ford fixed it. <br>I don't think they are hard to replace, a couple of bolts and a wire connector.<br><br>All this info is for an automatic. If it's not automatic, I don't know!<br><br>John

Blue71

Contributor
Bronco Guru
I had my wires to the solinoid crossed and it did the same thing. I could jump it from the solinoid but had the turn the key to off or pull the coil wire off to stop it. Took me a week to figure that one out. Coulda been worse I guess.<br><br>Blue71

Rustytruck

Bronco Guru
It could be the start switch itsself and since you changed all of the parts I too would check for the backward solonoid hook-up. When you jump across are you jumping large pole to small pole or large pole to large pole if you are going large to large then you can suspect the solonoid itsself. Between the neutral switch and these suggestions you should have it covered if you have power when running to the turn signals you can rule out power to the switch.

Gordys74

Loc.
Southern Iowa
The same thing happened to mine last spring. The new solenoid was no good and I had to replace it. Started right up and still does today. Its frustrating that some new parts are no good, but thats the way it goes, I guess.<br><br>Good Luck!<br>Gordy

OP
OP
D

dash8mx

You guy's were absolutely correct with the neutral safety swich idea. Thankyou very much .