• Just a reminder that you won't be able to start new posts or reply to existings posts in the Archive forum.

This is where all the old posts go so they can still be used for reference and searched.
  • Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Non Dash-mount radio??

jdbronco

Loc.
Panama City Beach
Has anyone ever added a standalone radio and speaker to their Bronco? I have a '66 radio delete model so I really don't want to cut my dash but would like to have some tunes for cruising around. Just looking for some ideas.

Toddpole

Contributor
Put it in a Tuffy console. You can lock it and leep it away from prying eyes. Other option is hang it from the bottom of the dash like the old skool 8 track players from the 70s.
I think I just should my age.

tasker

Contributor
all knowing of nothing
Loc.
NH
have a tuffy as well, mine sits outside with just a bikini top from feb. to nov. never had a problem with moisture either

englewoodcowboy

Lick Creek Restorations
have a tuffy as well, mine sits outside with just a bikini top from feb. to nov. never had a problem with moisture either

Now thats some good info to know there. Thanks Tasker! I am planning on a tufty as well...

OP
OP
J

jdbronco

Loc.
Panama City Beach
I guess the console is my best option. Unfortunately when I went to search for the console on Tom's I saw their whole seat and console set with the fold and tumble rear seat. Now I guess I will have to drive in silence till I can afford it, that looks like a sweet setup!
I'm not sure I have enough space for the console without moving my seats a little anyways.

rockerZ71

Loc.
Lawrenceville GA
theres also the BC wiper cover w/ built in speakers and amp for you to connect a phone to

when I first started driving my bronco on a daily basis, I just had my dewalt radio that runs off and charges 18v batteries for tunes

i recently bought a logic analyzer so I can figure out how my XM receiver works and hack it to control via my phone - radio in the console is convenient for pressing buttons since your hand is just kind of there but trying to look at the display sucks.

OP
OP
J

jdbronco

Loc.
Panama City Beach
i recently bought a logic analyzer so I can figure out how my XM receiver works and hack it to control via my phone.

Rocker, you're hurting my head with that electrical talk. I learned just enough of that to get through college.

I just remembered I don't even have an antenna or a place to mount one. Guess that's something else to add to the neverending upgrade list although I like the way it looks without one.

rockerZ71

Loc.
Lawrenceville GA
Rocker, you're hurting my head with that electrical talk. I learned just enough of that to get through college.

I just remembered I don't even have an antenna or a place to mount one. Guess that's something else to add to the neverending upgrade list although I like the way it looks without one.

haha well im not completely sure what I'm doing either but its close enough to what I do for work im sure i can figure it out given a day and a case of beer

I bought a cheap rubber antenna off of ebay, shoved it under the console where you can't see it. No running wires or anything. Works fine.

Buldozer

Bronco Virtuoso
Loc.
God's Country
Built my own......

Attachments

• 2-9-09 006.jpg
    2-9-09 006.jpg
    113.4 KB · Views: 132
  • 2-9-09 008.jpg
    2-9-09 008.jpg
    93.3 KB · Views: 128
  • 2-14-09 002.jpg
    2-14-09 002.jpg
    112.8 KB · Views: 131
  • 2-9-09 011.jpg
    2-9-09 011.jpg
    98.7 KB · Views: 112
OP
OP
J

jdbronco

Loc.
Panama City Beach
I bought a cheap rubber antenna off of ebay, shoved it under the console where you can't see it. No running wires or anything. Works fine.

Awesome to know that works! I guess I just assumed it wouldn't.

Built my own......

Now that looks like what I want! I guess I could scrounge up some plate and try to fab one up. Is that 1/8" or 1/4" plate? Looks bulletproof.

Dusty

Bronco Guru
^^^^what Broncobowsher said. That's what I run now (not that specific one in his link though), after having toasted a couple of regular style car audio decks due to dust on the trail.

DanHall

Loc.
Pueblo, CO
If you have a fiberglass hood you can get an undermount antenna made for boats and install on the bottom side of the hood. Cheap and invisible.

OP
OP
J

jdbronco

Loc.
Panama City Beach
Built my own......

Hey Buldozer, what type of radio did you stick in your mount? I started playing with some cardboard last night and it looks like the little rod sticking out of the heater box might limit my radio selection. If I can get it to fit this is the way I'm gonna go.

Buldozer

Bronco Virtuoso
Loc.
God's Country
I think I have a Pioneer.... its no different than any others really as I think about it... Has a CD also. I use the remote control to control it so I can leave the dust cover closed I mounted it in....

Attachments

• 2-14-09 001.jpg
    2-14-09 001.jpg
    108.6 KB · Views: 90

roundhouse

Bronco Guru
meh, just put in some speakers and use your ipod

Nothing but crap
Music and commercials and more
Commercials on the radio nowadays

some of the overhead consoles have a space for the radio and speakers.

Last edited:

bknbronco

Bronco Guru
Loc.
North Metro, MN
I made this speaker pod last summer in about a hour. Im gona remake it again soon and actually mold my hump so it fits better. Ill make it much larger and install my radio above the speakers so I can put my CB back in the dash. The pod is mostly made from fleece and glass mat with some wood for speaker rings and standoffs.

Attachments

• IMG_0200.jpg
    IMG_0200.jpg
    92.3 KB · Views: 69