• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

non synchronized wipers

ared77

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Love my restomod '66 BUT the wipers are driving me crazy! It was converted over to electric by previous owner. I'm such a Ford fan that I hate for others driving by to think "that old Ford has worn out wiper linkage".%)

So I end up turning them on for only one swipe or two when I think nobody is looking.;D

So my question is "Do I need to spend $200 for the switch I see advertised in the Bronco catalogs, or is there another option?"

Thanks,
Norm

Scoop

Contributor
Have Bronco, Will Travel
Loc.
Cuchara, CO
If I see non-synchro wipers on a Bronco my first thought is "Very cool - he still has the original vacuum wipers!".

I've had a couple of Broncos with the vacuum set up and I liked it because I could run only the driver's side when I didn't have a passenger. I think if I had ever converted to non-synchro electric I would put them on 2 separate switches so that I could run one at a time.

Steve83

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Memphis, TN, USA, Earth, Milky Way
Yes, there are a few options. Convert to single-motor electric with mechanical linkage that synchronizes the arms. Build a mechanical linkage (like a bicycle chain) that synchronizes your current motors. Put together your own electronic synchronizer circuit (possibly using a common Ford wiper delay governor).

OP
OP
ared77

ared77

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Thanks. Any other thoughts? Anyone used the $200 switch that's advertised? Work well and install went OK?

DirtDonk

Contributor
Bronco Guru
There is also a less expensive switch from Cole-Hersee (sp?) but some have had bad experiences with them. As others have had good. So it might be worth the expense just to see if you're one of the lucky ones?

Are you feelin' lucky there bucko?;D

Paul

Pops68

Contributor
Bronco Rookie
Loc.
Bazetta Township
Several years ago, someone had a link on here to an inexpensive switch (not sure if it is what slednut put up) that I bought.

Has worked fine since, only wish it had more of a swing to it (maybe 90* coverage out of a 360* circle). So, it doesn't really clean as much of the windshield as I would like.

Pops

twisted 66

Contributor
Loc.
Norcal-Tracy
The member on here who has come up with the mod and cole switch is badmuttstang. I followed his instructions on my 66 and they work only once in a while has it gone wacky but catches up to sync.

texk

Loc.
Franklin
DirtDonk, you mentioned some people having bad experience with the Cole-Hersee switch. I just installed one and the driver's wiper (#1) runs constantly at low speed. I have triple checked all of the wiring. Is there something secret to getting them to work or are some just bad?

DirtDonk

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Not really sure. The issue we had was just not getting them to work consistently. Others have had no such issues, but there's no way to tell what the different parties might have been doing differently, or how their Bronco wiring was set up.
First I've heard of your issue, but nothing surprises me anymore!

Generally speaking the CH stuff is still good, but with much of it very likely being sourced from overseas just like most other manufacturers, they're probably subject to the same inconsistencies that we see pretty much across the board these days. We've been bemoaning the state of replacement products for several years now.
I was lucky to have grown up at a time when literally 99% of anything you bought from a mainstream supplier was going to work without question. And possibly the very few that didn't were screwed up by a consumer and then returned and put on the shelf!
But nowadays, it's a total crap-shoot.

Sorry, rant aside, I have not heard of the CH switches doing what you're experiencing.
Can you tell us how your Bronco is set up? Old and original and half worn out, or pretty much redone in the wiring department? Rusty body perhaps?
Reason I mention rust (or new paint for that matter) is that the windshield frame is not very well grounded after 40 years. And the dash is not that far behind sometimes.
So just wondering if your switch's problem could be ground related?
Maybe run a test jumper ground wire from the wiper motors to the battery just to see if that changes how things act?

Good luck.

Paul

badmuttstang

redneck grease monkey
Paul that's pretty much what I suggested. I've always grounded each motor at the base then ran a separate wire down to the ground on the switch and ground from there. This has solved 90% of the problems when others have done the switch and ask for help but like your saying there's a lot of other stuff that can cause problems.

ramrick

Loc.
el paso
I thought there was a mod having to do with using a wiper switch from a 70's f100? Was it something completely different???

texk

Loc.
Franklin
DirtDonk and badmuttstang, thanks for the advice. This is a stock '68 in really good shape with minimal rust, believe it or not. After reading numerous horror stories about grounding issues, I ran ground straps from frame and body (firewall) back to battery negative before I started. After badmuttstangs input, I grounded both motors back to the switch ground (motors were initially grounded to windshield frame) and then ran a temporary wire back to the negative post on the battery hoping to rule out grounding issue. Same result so I put in an RMA for a new switch. I got this Bronco 7 months ago after wanting one for 45 years and I love it...BUT I swear sometimes they are haunted!

DirtDonk

Contributor
Bronco Guru
I thought there was a mod having to do with using a wiper switch from a 70's f100? Was it something completely different???

Yep. Factory switch with delay box. For a long time they were semi-scarce and not too many trucks of that vintage finding their way into the junkyards as often anymore. But I think they are being reproduced nowadays. Not sure though, but a quick check of Scott Drake or Dennis Carpenter might get an answer.
Probably the same box from the mid-seventies to the mid-eighties I would think.

...BUT I swear sometimes they are haunted!

Oh, they are indeed...:eek:

Paul

texk

Loc.
Franklin
Well, I found the problem and it wasn't a ghost. The terminals on the motors are very close together and the park and low speed wires were touching. Even with heat shrink, I guess there was enough current to make them act up. So far everything is working great - low, high, intermittent, synch, and park. Drove in the rain last night. Motors from TBP and switch from Cole-Hersee.