• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Non-Tire Guy, Looking for Help/Advice/Info!

Pruneda

Hey all. Looking for some tires, but have difficulty "knowing" what is what as my Dad is switching both Rims and Tires. Currently the Bronco is equipped with some BFG All-Terrain T/A's (33x12.50R15LT) and some aftermarket Aluminum wheels. They dont rub, or have any issues other than a bouncy rough ride. (Bronco has small lift from previous owner.) Dad always like the look of the OEM Bronco Wheels from the Early 90's rides. (These for Reference: https://imgur.com/a/W62XZaW )

Any how, the above 'New' rims we have (The OEM ones,) are 15x8's I believe. We are looking for help/suggestions on viable sizes that will not rub and instead give us a little more drivability/comfort while still retaining the On-Road/Off-Road Look for the Bronco (Admittedly we dont take this anywhere off-road currently. Just around town to stretch its legs or a country drive.) ***Note: The current profile is a little big so Dad has mentioned 30" but not sure if thats gonna workout or if itll offer us the improvements we are after.***

Any suggestions on Sizes and maybe even Styles/Brands? Thanks ahead of time!

SteveL

Huge chevy guy
Loc.
Hawthorne ca
I would stick with the bfg at's and figure out what size or look you want. As far as bouncing that may be a shock issue.

B RON CO

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Loc.
Statesville, NC
Hi, I've seen I think 30 x 9.5 and it looks fine on a stock height Bronco. That is a little bigger than stock. I like my BFG 31x 10.5 KOs but would prefer a smooth side wall. I don't need that modern aggressive look. My Bronco rides more truck like, probably like yours. After I take care of some body work I'm getting Bilstein shocks. Right now I would try to lower the air pressure. That should improve the ride quality. Good luck

needabronco

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Prescott/Farmington
"Bouncing" could be attributed to tire pressure, load rating, and bad shocks. I typically run between 10 and 30 psi with load range E MTR's, most guys run around 20-25 around town. If you have load range C tires your sidewalls will be a bit softer and you could run a little more pressure.

I'd play with tire pressures and look into new/better shocks before tires, unless they are badly worn or super old. As said Bilstein makes a great shock, most here like the 5100 series shocks. They are more expensive than parts store shocks or Rancho but they truly are that much better.

As far as size, if you run 33s I probably would stay there or might consider 31's if it's not taken on harder trails or ever...

Rustytruck

Bronco Guru
Before changing tires I would fool with tire pressures first. Make sure your down to 30 lbs or slightly less. I use 30 lbs front and rear on the street with my BFG 33 x 12.5 x 15 on 8" steel rims. But my Bronco is close to 1000 lbs heavier than a bare bones stock Bronco. Most of the ride quality on the street comes from the side wall of the big tires. With a large tire, air pressure is a huge factor. Spring and shock technology has come along way in the last 40 years. Most of us were running spring technology for a fully loaded pick-up truck and the only achievable goal back then was to get the truck up and hold the added aftermarket weight gains. once your sure you understand the effects of tire pressure then buy the new tires.

OP
OP
P

Pruneda

Hi, I've seen I think 30 x 9.5 and it looks fine on a stock height Bronco. That is a little bigger than stock. I like my BFG 31x 10.5 KOs but would prefer a smooth side wall. I don't need that modern aggressive look. My Bronco rides more truck like, probably like yours. After I take care of some body work I'm getting Bilstein shocks. Right now I would try to lower the air pressure. That should improve the ride quality. Good luck

"Bouncing" could be attributed to tire pressure, load rating, and bad shocks. I typically run between 10 and 30 psi with load range E MTR's, most guys run around 20-25 around town. If you have load range C tires your sidewalls will be a bit softer and you could run a little more pressure.

I'd play with tire pressures and look into new/better shocks before tires, unless they are badly worn or super old. As said Bilstein makes a great shock, most here like the 5100 series shocks. They are more expensive than parts store shocks or Rancho but they truly are that much better.

As far as size, if you run 33s I probably would stay there or might consider 31's if it's not taken on harder trails or ever...

Before changing tires I would fool with tire pressures first. Make sure your down to 30 lbs or slightly less. I use 30 lbs front and rear on the street with my BFG 33 x 12.5 x 15 on 8" steel rims. But my Bronco is close to 1000 lbs heavier than a bare bones stock Bronco. Most of the ride quality on the street comes from the side wall of the big tires. With a large tire, air pressure is a huge factor. Spring and shock technology has come along way in the last 40 years. Most of us were running spring technology for a fully loaded pick-up truck and the only achievable goal back then was to get the truck up and hold the added aftermarket weight gains. once your sure you understand the effects of tire pressure then buy the new tires.

So dads wanting to go a little smaller on the tire compared to what we have on there now. I dont want to recommend something that will look out of place/poor. The current setup isnt too big, but could lose a little "fat" and still be fine. He mentioned 30's but I really have no idea how Truck/4x4 tires work size wise. I went on tire rack and looked at the 31X10.5R15LT size and they have some good options tread wise, considering this thing wont see offroad use at all. Just a little country. Being a 15x8" rim what are my likely size combos that will be near what we have now or smaller without going too small?

DirtDonk

Contributor
Bronco Guru
I thought BFG still made some 32x11.50's these days? If so, that size is just a bit smaller, lighter and more manageable, but does not look out of place on either a stock or lifted Bronco (up to about 3.5" of lift) with cut fenders.
Assuming it's cut with 33's, the 32's would look good.

If he wants to go more, a 31 does work, but it's at the ragged edge of too small in my opinion. At least on a cut fender Bronco. If stock and uncut, they look and work great.

If a new wheel size is an option, he could go up to a 16" wheel and find some more sizes that would work in the metric range. A 265x75x16 is virtually a narrow 33, where a 255x85 could be a skinny 35!
A 245x75 might fit the bill then. Not sure though, so wait for others with more metric experiences, or look at the conversion tables to see what that equates to.

The issue more often faced with metric as opposed to "flotation" sizes though, is the load rating as was mentioned before. The higher the load range and it's rated pressure maximums, the harsher and more bouncy the ride will feel. More harsh than bouncy, but the terms do overlap.
If you can stick with Load Range C tires, that would be much better for a Bronco and street riding. Anything D or higher is going to feel pretty stiff no matter what shock or spring you mate it up with.

Good luck.

Paul

OP
OP
P

Pruneda

I thought BFG still made some 32x11.50's these days? If so, that size is just a bit smaller, lighter and more manageable, but does not look out of place on either a stock or lifted Bronco (up to about 3.5" of lift) with cut fenders.
Assuming it's cut with 33's, the 32's would look good.

If he wants to go more, a 31 does work, but it's at the ragged edge of too small in my opinion. At least on a cut fender Bronco. If stock and uncut, they look and work great.

If a new wheel size is an option, he could go up to a 16" wheel and find some more sizes that would work in the metric range. A 265x75x16 is virtually a narrow 33, where a 255x85 could be a skinny 35!
A 245x75 might fit the bill then. Not sure though, so wait for others with more metric experiences, or look at the conversion tables to see what that equates to.

The issue more often faced with metric as opposed to "flotation" sizes though, is the load rating as was mentioned before. The higher the load range and it's rated pressure maximums, the harsher and more bouncy the ride will feel. More harsh than bouncy, but the terms do overlap.
If you can stick with Load Range C tires, that would be much better for a Bronco and street riding. Anything D or higher is going to feel pretty stiff no matter what shock or spring you mate it up with.

Good luck.

Paul

Thanks Paul. My dad acquired some 15's some a early 90s bronco (picture in OP.) Pretty sure they are 15x8's so thats whats the target. It has fender flares on it so I assume its been cut. Im not really familiar with the platform so doing my best. Thanks again!

DirtDonk

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Thanks! Hah, totally neglected to look at the link.
Nice looking wheels. I thought most, if not all factory wheels were in the 7" wide range, but those sure look like 8's from here.
Either way those sizes would work however. Even the 12.50's in fact, though most tire stores would not mount them to such, as they fall well outside the normal tire manufacturer's recommendations. But we used to do it all the time.
However, 8's as I think you noted, were right in there for most of the ones we're talking about.

And yep, you got it on the fenders. Flared and generally opened up is "cut" in our parlance.
You've probably also seen the terms LUBR and LUBER which mean basically "Lifted, Uncut Bronco" so the whole cut/uncut thing is a common thing around here.

Glad you're helping your dad out with this too. Hopefully it's fun for both of you.
Oh, and you mentioned rubbing in your first post too. The fronts will likely continue to rub the radius arm at full turn stop, as most factory style wheels are pretty tucked in.
This tucked in style is actually very good for a Bronco. Looks-wise and driving-wise.
But it puts the tire edges close to the radius arms.

The good news is that it does not typically hurt anything but your sense of decency! Makes a ton of noise and sounds (and feels) like you're wrecking something. Usually not though.
The "fix" is either to stop turning the wheel that far (you can tell) or turn out the steering stops so that you can't turn into the arms.

Either way works. It's always a shame to lose any of the Bronco's great turning radius. But larger tires are just going to do that in most cases no matter how little above stock they are.

Paul