• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Not A Build Thread (Oh How Things Change!)

DirtDonk

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Does he wire a resistor-bypass into the system? I assume yes, and can ask him myself next time, but was curious if you knew.

Thanks

Paul

OP
OP
Okie69

Okie69

Contributor
Oh yeah I’m definitely going to put in a lamp.

I’m not sure if he does. I’ve watched his videos a few times and don’t remember. But there is a lot of information in them so don’t be surprised if I missed it!

OP
OP
Okie69

Okie69

Contributor
Next question! The motor has 216k miles on the clock. Everyone says the explorer motors are pretty robust. Question is, is it worth a rebuild (remember everything I do I have to teach myself and it’s a fight)

It doesn’t leak anything, doesn’t smoke, doesn’t make any weird noises, starts right up, temp and oil pressure look great.

.94 OR

Contributor
Bronco Guru
If it is still in a rig, can you do at least a compression test or leak down test on the engine to see if you have any potential worries?

DirtDonk

Contributor
Bronco Guru
There is no chance, no where, no way, no how that I would go to the trouble of putting an engine in any vehicle that was starting with 200k miles on it. NEVER.
But I guess I'm just funny that way...

And yes, the Explorer engines were so well tuned that if treated properly can easily go 300k and probably more. Not sure how many made that milestone, but some of them could have.
Even if you expect to get 100,000 miles out of, and only drive it 5,000 a year at the most, you might think that's 20 years worth of fun. But it's still only a "maybe" at that. Engines hate short trips and sitting as much as anything else. So that theoretical extra 100k might just have gone out the window with a low use Bronco.
I guess I'm just lazy and don't like to take engines in and out of Broncos for bad reasons.

I hear what you're saying, that it sounds like you would not have someone else do it and would be doing it yourself for the first time. Looking at it that way I can see the reasoning for just putting it in and crossing your fingers.
You have seen and heard it run, and have tested it and no oil leaks or smoke. It sounds good, and if the alternative is lots of work at rebuilding, then I think you have your own personal answer in this case. Just clean it up and put it in.
Still not what I'd do, but it makes sense here. Not necessarily the wrong decision, but somewhat of a gamble nevertheless.

If the Explorer is still even drivable, I'd spend some more quality time and mileage driving around in it. Just to be sure the engine is going to run the same in 1,000 miles as it is idling in the driveway.
If that's not an option, then toss that coin!;D

Paul

OP
OP
Okie69

Okie69

Contributor
There is no chance, no where, no way, no how that I would go to the trouble of putting an engine in any vehicle that was starting with 200k miles on it. NEVER.
But I guess I'm just funny that way...

And yes, the Explorer engines were so well tuned that if treated properly can easily go 300k and probably more. Not sure how many made that milestone, but some of them could have.
Even if you expect to get 100,000 miles out of, and only drive it 5,000 a year at the most, you might think that's 20 years worth of fun. But it's still only a "maybe" at that. Engines hate short trips and sitting as much as anything else. So that theoretical extra 100k might just have gone out the window with a low use Bronco.
I guess I'm just lazy and don't like to take engines in and out of Broncos for bad reasons.

I hear what you're saying, that it sounds like you would not have someone else do it and would be doing it yourself for the first time. Looking at it that way I can see the reasoning for just putting it in and crossing your fingers.
You have seen and heard it run, and have tested it and no oil leaks or smoke. It sounds good, and if the alternative is lots of work at rebuilding, then I think you have your own personal answer in this case. Just clean it up and put it in.
Still not what I'd do, but it makes sense here. Not necessarily the wrong decision, but somewhat of a gamble nevertheless.

If the Explorer is still even drivable, I'd spend some more quality time and mileage driving around in it. Just to be sure the engine is going to run the same in 1,000 miles as it is idling in the driveway.
If that's not an option, then toss that coin!;D

Paul

I’m not totally opposed to having someone else rebuild it. I’m just trying to do as much and learn as much as I can during this rebuild.

Maybe some of the Oklahoma guys on here will chime in with a reputable shop I could at least talk to.

It is still drivable. And I drove it back from Okie4570’s with no problems took me around 3 hours. It is pretty nasty inside though I don’t know how much I want to drive it ha.

For what it’s worth I’m feeling like putting it in as is is not the best idea either. I’m just a little gun shy still after the last swap I did that you might remember Paul since you gave me a lot of advice. Swapped in a HO 302 got the firing order wrong. Then realized The fuel pump eccentric was just flying around in there with no pin to keep it in place. Then realized the flywheel and harmonic balancer were the wrong imbalance. It was a mess and really deflated my confidence haha. Also it has kept the Bronco down for almost a decade now. Wow time flies.

DirtDonk

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Yeah, the old rabbit hole of swapping something different in. Even if it looks the same!

I can see running it as-is under these circumstances, if those other things check out. The issue comes into play again, that it might not be long before it starts to show it's age, but leak-free now is a real advantage.
On the other hand, unlike most of us, you actually have it running. Most of us do not have that luxury when installing a used engine. And with used, even a low mileage engine is not a guarantee of working, after having sat for 20 years first!

So yes, by all means do the compression and leak-down tests. If it's that clean and tidy, and no oil leaks, I'd almost hate to take it apart and risk oil leaks starting!
But it's just that kind of thing, like the rear main seal starting to leak a week after you finish the install that can really darken your day.
So I might at least replace the rear main if that's something that can be done easily. But then that opens up a whole can-o-worms and rabbit holes. And a whole lotta "since I'm here's" too.

If you don't have a reputable builder nearby, and are not quite ready to do it yourself yet either (it's not bad, but takes a lot of fiddling about to do it right) then maybe run it for awhile but with the knowledge that you're going to have to do it eventually to freshen it up and maybe hop it up just a bit too.

Like I said. Coin toss...

Paul

Tiko433

Contributor
I know just enough to be dangerous
Loc.
South West Florida
I did a Explorer swap a few ago. The motor had 180K on it . I got the truck running so I had a chance to check the motor out. My first intent was to rebuild the motor. I let it run in the drive way for hour and put a variety of RPMs to it. It did not smoke , knock , over heat and compression test was good. I pulled the motor, the valve train was very clean. I pulled the oil pan very clean also. While the pan was off I could look at the cylinder walls, they still showed crosshatching. I looked at the crank bearings they still looked good too. With the cost of the swap adding up. I decided to not rebuild the motor at that time. I put new oil pump , T chain and water pump in it. I ran that motor until last month. It still ran good but I could till it was getting weaker. For me at the time I wanted to get over the hump with the cost of the EFI tank, exhaust, wiring and cooling. If the motor I had was not in such good shape I would not have put it in but I figured it was worth a chance

OP
OP
Okie69

Okie69

Contributor
I did a Explorer swap a few ago. The motor had 180K on it . I got the truck running so I had a chance to check the motor out. My first intent was to rebuild the motor. I let it run in the drive way for hour and put a variety of RPMs to it. It did not smoke , knock , over heat and compression test was good. I pulled the motor, the valve train was very clean. I pulled the oil pan very clean also. While the pan was off I could look at the cylinder walls, they still showed crosshatching. I looked at the crank bearings they still looked good too. With the cost of the swap adding up. I decided to not rebuild the motor at that time. I put new oil pump , T chain and water pump in it. I ran that motor until last month. It still ran good but I could till it was getting weaker. For me at the time I wanted to get over the hump with the cost of the EFI tank, exhaust, wiring and cooling. If the motor I had was not in such good shape I would not have put it in but I figured it was worth a chance

Thanks for the info! I’m in the same boat. Trying to keep cost down while not making more work in the future. It’s a tough game to play.

OP
OP
Okie69

Okie69

Contributor
So I was able to do the compression test yesterday. And I think everything looks pretty good. Nobody in the area had a leak down tester to rent or buy so Ive got one coming from amazon. From what I’ve been able to find these numbers look pretty good.

#4. 160 #8. 160
#3. 160 #7. 160
#2. 160 #6. 155
#1. 165 #5. 165

Pics attached let me know if you see anything. The plugs have obviously lived a long life!

Last edited:

Bruners4

Loc.
1/2 way to everywhere
I know that this is an old thread but still has a lot of useful information. I also did the explorer swap with the 4r70w transmission. I picked up a '97 with 180k miles hoping to not have the GT40P heads but it did. I pulled the heads and pan to check it out. Everything looked great inside so I installed a set of the BluePrint alum heads with thin head gaskets and a set of 1.72 roller rockers. Rod and main journals looked great so I slipped in new STD bearing shells and timing set. New rear main seal, gaskets, seal and water pump and put it in. It started right up without any issues and runs great.
So how is yours coming along? Running and driving or did other things get in the way?

OP
OP
Okie69

Okie69

Contributor
I sent that one down the road to the next guy. The same old motor is still in mine. Have a roller 351 waiting for a rebuild though. Wish I would’ve kept the front dress though…

OP
OP
Okie69

Okie69

Contributor
Wow I just re-read this thread and it is crazy how fast goals / builds change!

So shortly after the events at the beginning of the thread I purchased a 302 out of a '74 that was known good and slapped that in. It has been running strong since. This is the first drive
View attachment IMG_1522.mov

This was followed by a year or so of rebuilding and saving. Fast forward to 2022 and the Bronco has a HP D44 that still has 3.50s up front and the 9 inch with no locker and 4.56s out back. I decide that is the year that I'm finally going to make it to the Oklahoma Classic Bronco Roundup. So off to Bailie Bilt I go to get a cage and gears in the front.

123_1.jpeg

Then we decide that while we're in the front might as well put in a locker so now it has 4.56s and a grizzly up front. With this I was ready to go! finally OCBR which I've been wanting to attend since 2011. I decide to drive it out to arkansas which is about 320 miles. I've got no power steering, no power brakes, stock 3 speed, and no rear locker.
IMG_3567.jpeg

Then I make a huge mistake. Wheeling at OCBR was a blast and at this point I've met Steve @Yeller and Gordon at Bailie Bilt. I've got the bug. I'm gonna just speed through this next part.

The bronco very quickly gets power steering, hydro assist, rear locker, and an NP435 from @JWMcCrary Then I go to Lonestar Roundup in April '23 and get bit by the bug even harder. Gordon and I cut the rockers off and add sliders. Then I put on 37s and beadlocks. By OCBR 23' it's how it sits now. 9EDC2DD2-D6C2-4DC5-828F-554B576D6B3B.jpeg IMG_1008.jpeg

Oh and I went on a trip with @Yeller and a few others and broke an output shaft and a front hub and limped it back onto the trailer with 1 wheel spinning

IMG_1269.jpeg

Moral of the story? Plans may change but keep going and yours too can go from sitting under a cover in storage to a completely mechanically rebuilt fully functioning Bronco.

.....and then you can go bash it on rocks.

57504718542__FA6DD942-883F-4D7A-B197-0BA8B3CB1814.jpeg

Attachments

• 123_1.jpeg
    123_1.jpeg
    222.1 KB · Views: 11
  • IMG_9731.jpeg
    IMG_9731.jpeg
    298.9 KB · Views: 13
  • 60151187458__64368CFB-CCA6-4FCF-983C-87C0FCFDCF0B.jpeg
    60151187458__64368CFB-CCA6-4FCF-983C-87C0FCFDCF0B.jpeg
    200.5 KB · Views: 11

Yeller

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Loc.
Rogers County Oklahoma
@Okie69 Glad I could help polute your mind and create an addiction :ROFLMAO:

That trip where you broke down to 1 wheel, had a lot of carnage, I limped out as well, but it was less expensive than yours for sure.

Always enjoy your company and definitely in the circle of friends that I'm glad to have you a part of :)

btw: do you stil have the wagon wheels?

DirtDonk

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Great update, thanks. And a great story to add to it! Even better because it has pictures! :)
Definitely got bit by the bug hard. And I always enjoy seeing a Hanson bumper get used out in the wild. Thanks for that too.👍🏼