• Just a reminder that you won't be able to start new posts or reply to existings posts in the Archive forum.

This is where all the old posts go so they can still be used for reference and searched.
  • Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Not allowed to get a bronco

BroncoJimbo

Contributor
Long-term owner
Loc.
North GA
maybe the dad has a good reason.
My son has an even more dangerous 4X4 than a Bronco-a CJ5. Now, my son is not the type to speed or show off. He is ultra careful and drives very slow. If he was a "full throttle" type I'd have put him in a Ranger.

allenfahey

Bronco Guru
As a dad of twin 16 year olds I can relate to your dad not wanting you to get a Bronco. There is no way you can make it as safe as a modern vehicle if you get in an accident. You can be the safest most responsible driver that anyone has ever seen. What if someone else hits you? Get yourself a modern vehicle.

edmedlin

Loc.
Republic Missouri
I grew up in the muscle car era. When I was 17 my dad got a new '68 Charger 440 RT. I had a Triumph 2 seater he liked a lot and he and Mom used to trade me on weekends and they would take it and I would get the RT for the weekend. Oh boy!... I wound up buying him some tires. I did some drag racing and got caught. I had a job and had to pay him for new tires. I learned. I raced the Triumph in SCCA, but the RT was something new. How safe something is can be up to the person. I was safe in MY car. I made mistakes in the WRONG one. The next year I was off to Vietnam. Safety is what you make of it.

5001craig

Contributor
Bronco Guru
When I was 16 (1984) I found a '65 442 (grew up in an Oldsmobile car family). Went for a test drive with my Pops and the owner. He took it right back as it was too fast.

Test drove an early '80's RX7 and it was taken right back.

Took a test drive in an '82 Trans Am. It was taken right back.

Ended up getting a very plush and nice shape Toronado. It served me well for 150K miles.

Most 16 year olds have a wreck that year of their life. I did it. My son did it recently. It's just something that seems to happen. I would say a Honda Accord is the best first car these days. Safe, economical to get into and operate and not something to get devastated over if it is totaled. An Early Bronco to me is not something I would want to daily drive but I drive a lot and have a nice modern DD rig. To me, an EB is more of something special to go for a drive to dinner or spend some time on the sand. I am not sure I could make myself drive it in the winter when I know there is salt on the road (even if I had a top and doors Lol). Hope to do some offroading and will more than likely tow it to/from when I do this.

My .02.

pbking

Go thank your dad for looking out for you!

Whether an EB is right for your first car or not, isn't really a question, it's respecting your father's wishes. I can see the EB issue from both sides, and I'm not sure where I'd come down on it if it was my kid.

BUT, I would suggest, if an EB is in your future, find a F150, say mid 70's and drive the crap out of that for the time being. It has a longer wheel base, will probably pass muster as far as it being "safer". It also has a side benefit of letting you learn how to maintain, build, tinker with small block fords, and you'll be doing a LOT of that with your EB. Not to mention they are currently cheaper! It may not have the exact same stylings as an EB but done right they can be pretty bad ass.

hucklburry rev2

I want to find a 6 cylinder EB for my kids. Roll cage, big disc brakes all around, manual windows, no a/c, column shifter, 3 point belts and change out the steering column to a collapsible one.

Its either that or a beater ranger/toyota truck with air bags.

Good luck! Sometimes a beater to learn in is better

fatboy

Contributor
Glad to be here.
Loc.
New Hampshire
Well I hate to say it but I told both of my kids that their first car would have airbags. I will let them drive one of the Broncos, but not as a daily. My son has now been driving 5 or 6 years so he could get whatever he wants now, my girl has a few years yet.

Justafordguy

Bronco Guru
I say a vehicle is only as safe as the driver. I started driving BRONCOS when I was a teenager and so far I've made it safely to 53. ;)

sykanr0ng

Bronco Guru
Maybe the best thing to do is for me to buy a more reliable car until I'm a little older then start looking into getting a bronco

I don't know what your budget is like, but you should consider buying a Bronco sooner than later.
The prices just keep going up.

What I would suggest is buy a Bronco in restorable or buildable condition and also buy a cheap but reliable and safe car for your first car.
Drive it while learning to care for the Bronco by working on it.

broncosbybart

Bronco Guru
There have been a few young owners on here that have wadded their Broncos up.

If you don't have a healthy mechanical aptitude and a fair bit of common sense, I would vote no. They aren't a turn the key and go type vehicle like modern cars are. There are kids who could own and drive them today with no issues, but these are the grease-monkey type kids who have learned from their dads or taken vocational jobs learning about vehicles. Sure they are cool as most older vehicles are but they all come with quirks and idiosyncrasies.

While I think a Bronco can be made plenty safe, they do not drive or handle like a modern vehicle and it could very likely have an issue during a downpour or some other time when you really don't want to have to screw with it.

EricLar80

Bronco Guru
My dad wouldn't let me buy myself any vehicle until I turned 18 - before then he wanted me driving our 1987 F250 diesel 4x4. Not much getting into trouble with that thing since it was super slow. I did manage to get it stuck in the mud pretty well, though.

I bought my Bronco a few days before my 18th birthday and I still have it today. They can be tricky to drive - just be aware and respect it for what it is (40 yr old 4x4, short wheelbase, lifted, off-road tires).

Good luck.

Eric

Bluelimo

Loc.
Providence, UT
I had a serious accident 15 yrs ago in an EB (hit by another vehicle) and the injury still bothers me today. I had a full cage and 4 point belts but still believe that a newer vehicle with similar size and weight would have protected me better. As with driving any vintage vehicle, you have to consider how risk adverse you are to potential injury. For me, I am more risk adverse for my kids than for myself. Their first vehicles have had modern safety features including air bags. My first was an EB; that's how I got hooked. I've owned 10 in the last 30 years.

gnpenning

Contributor
Bronco Slave
Loc.
I have more questions than answers.
Be glad your Dad is looking out for your safety. Mine didn't care what I drove as long as he didn't have to pay for it.

I think the EB is safer than a Honda or other small car. Lots of metal around you helps. There are worse vehicles and things you could be doing.

If you want to spend some time in a EB maybe post some location details and a Bronco brother would take you out for a spin. There are ways to be involved and have one in your life with out it being a daily driver. Even a possible father and son project??

BTW Welcome. Keep your dream.

Mtgrizzlymn

I wanted an eb since I was 16 ! Found one didn't buy it , didn't get another chance to have MY rig until I was 46. I would talk to dad more. I think about all those years I could of enjoyed my bronco. I had everything else in between but finally got what I wanted and love the thing. I run the carb and points plenty reliable. I put on 50 or more miles daily.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

No Hay

Bronco Guru
I think it depends on how it will be driven. Mostly in town would be OK. Mostly highway, not so much. Two very different types of crashes. In the end, still not very practical anywhere for a first ride. Like many, I grew up with no dad, not much heat and not enough food, so my first one at 17 yrs old in '77 was everything to me. It was the coolest truck at school, spent a fortune on it though. Wouldn't trade the experiences for anything. Just priceless.

Same question applies to my motorcycles frequently, and I always respond motorcycles are not dangerous, it's the operator or the other humans around you that are dangerous. The chance of crashing may be a value of X, but the chance of death is quite a bit less. In the end, if you have money to burn, buy it and have the time of your life. (After you move out of the house, or it could get ugly)!!!!

OP
OP
P

Piercem

Thanks guys , I showed my dad this forum and he agreed to allow me to get a bronco but he says I must save up some more money to make sure my bronco is as safe as it can possibly be, i would not be driving it on the highway mostly to school and back and to friends house that live near by. I guess I'll save up a little more money and see where that takes me

Last edited:

jmangi62

Bronco Guru
You sound like a very intelligent young man,the thing is,your not experienced enuff yet to drive a brick,hahaha like was mentioned earlier.But seriously,its gonna be tuff to persuade your parents to let you get one as young as you are.I had gone thru 2 cars before I got my first EB.So be patient,and appreciate your dads advise.Good Luck. :cool:

okie4570

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Loc.
NW OK
Thanks guys , I showed my dad this forum and he agreed to allow me to get a bronco but he says I must save up some more money to make sure my bronco is as safe as it can possibly be, i would not be driving it on the highway mostly to school and back and to friends house that live near by. I guess I'll save up a little more money and see where that takes me

Success!! :cool:

bigcountry

Contributor
Bronco Guru
My son just turn 16. I bought him a 2000 GMC extended cab 4x4 with 90,000 miles. A leveling kit is the only lift I will allow on it and it has just over stock size all terrain tires. it gets good gas mileage and it still a 4x4. He drives my bronco around when he wants, but mostly drives his truck.

tirewater

Loc.
San Francisco Bay Area
As a parent, it's not just my child's safety I have to worry about, but my child's friend's safety as well.

Your father is mitigating his risks as well as trying to protect his loved ones & investment in *you*.

Right or wrong is subjective, but you can't really err on the side of caution here.

Anyway, there are plenty of *practical* reasons for not having a Bronco as your daily driver. I wouldn't want my son to have to hit me up for $10 everyday to go drive to school and back.