• Just a reminder that you won't be able to start new posts or reply to existings posts in the Archive forum.

This is where all the old posts go so they can still be used for reference and searched.
  • Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Not allowed to get a bronco

Revelation

Bronco Guru
Got my first Bronco at 17. 72 302 3spd. Loved that thing, Drove it everywhere. After the lift and mud tires I could not stay out of the mud holes. I drove it for what it was on the street, an older truck that was not a sportscar, and never had an issue.

67RT

Bronco Guru
I say a vehicle is only as safe as the driver. I started driving BRONCOS when I was a teenager and so far I've made it safely to 53. ;)

They are also only as safe as the mechanic working on them.
I drove these cars in the early 80s because there were no other safer cars. No way my son is driving a Bronco. Stuck accelerator, stranded on the highway, high center of gravity and short wheelbase. Takes experience to handle these situations. Too much blood sweat tears and love to take such an unnecessary risk.
Your dad is a smart man and cares for you deeply.

OP
OP
P

Piercem

Ok so my dad and I have decided that it is best if I get another car as my first car and maybe when I get older look into getting a bronco. I need some advice on a car preferably a 4x4 that I could get under 10000$, thanks

67RT

Bronco Guru
Gas wont be two dollars a gallon forever. If set on 4x4 get something utilitarian and reliable like a crew cabTacoma

RPM289

Good thought! Maybe you would consider buying a nice daily driver with half your money and a beat up project bronco to slowly fix up with the other half. You will learn to work on it and by the time you are done have some driving experience under your belt. Food for thought.
Great advice! I always wanted a old Mustang :cool: but as I was learning to drive I needed a more practical vehicle and if i was going to wreck something (and I did) it was NOT a 66 Mustang. I got a mustang when I was 22 still have it today! And I have a old Bronco too! Both of my favorite FORDs! ;D

JAFO

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Beaverdam
Nissan Xterra is a good vehicle. Not the greatest on gas if you buy year 2004 and below. And the V6 in the 04 and below is way under powered. You floor it and it just makes more noise, but you don't go any faster. But it has a good following and there are a lot of aftermarket mods you can do to them to make them more off-road capable. And within your budget. And you could carry friends.
I owned a 2004 Xterra. Bought it new. It was a tough vehicle. Only repair I did to it in 125K miles was replace the harmonic balance, which separated. I put locking hubs on it. Never did any off road mods to it, but it was capable in the woods and I took it hunting some. I donated the Xterra to a nephew four years ago and he is still driving it and loves it. Your dad will like the fact the Xterra has a governor and you can't get it up over 100 mph. Maybe 95?? And parts prices would be better than say a Toyota. Toyota seems to love their parts, which always seem to be a bit higher than other brands in my experience.

jwh

I think it depends a lot on the person and how much you're going to need to rely on it. I bought my Bronco when I was 15, with my own money from mowing lawns and working other summer labor jobs. I'm not a reckless person and was quite mature for my age in how I looked at and assessed situations. My mother didn't want me to get it (she also didn't want me to buy my 97 4.6L Tbird when I was 18 getting out of college and needing dependable transportation), but my father was OK with it (both times). Turns out he had wanted to purchase a particular vehicle when he was young and his parents said no and he never had the chance to get one again (can't remember what it was, roadrunner possibly). The Bronco had PS & PB but didn't drive particularly well. I spent some time and money fixing some things before getting my license and drove it around Friday and Saturday nights in to town during the summer months. Eventually I went to college, graduated, got a decent job and then tore the Bronco down and rebuilt it. Its still far from perfect, or perfectly reliable, but I got what I wanted and still have it 20 years later and I enjoy driving it more than anything else I've ever had.