• Just a reminder that you won't be able to start new posts or reply to existings posts in the Archive forum.

This is where all the old posts go so they can still be used for reference and searched.
  • Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Not another what's it worth thread!

casadejohnson

Bronco Alchemist
Ok, it is a what's it worth thread.

Looked at a Bronco today thats belongs to my parents friends. Thought maybe I could score some parts or maybe find one to fix and resell. They bought it to fix up and IMO paid to much for it two years ago. I told them I would help them find it a new home.

Looks to have a 351w ,decent headers ,Edelbrock carb, and a NP435 ( I think) 4 speed. Has 23 gallon fuel tank and Power steering that I could not ID right off.

The Body is not so good. Top is rusted through at the drip rail. Floor pans riveted in. Rockers are shot. Inner fenders are rusted out, rear quarters are rusted at the seam, and I think the door posts are on their last leg. Wiring looks to be a mess as well.

My opinion is that it would not be bad for a trail beater but not a great restoration project. I think it's worth about $2000 but I'm shooting from the hip as I'm taking there word that it runs pretty good. I have not yet driven it.

The guy that owns it was going to fix it up but he went back to school and has a couple kids and has no time for the Bronco.

Am I about right on the price or am I to critical of the rust?

Attachments

• IMG_3720.jpg
    IMG_3720.jpg
    92.3 KB · Views: 86
  • IMG_3730.jpg
    IMG_3730.jpg
    78.2 KB · Views: 76
  • IMG_3729.jpg
    IMG_3729.jpg
    110.4 KB · Views: 87
  • IMG_3714.jpg
    IMG_3714.jpg
    99.7 KB · Views: 80
  • IMG_3722.jpg
    IMG_3722.jpg
    91.6 KB · Views: 88
  • IMG_3723.jpg
    IMG_3723.jpg
    78 KB · Views: 81
  • IMG_3715.jpg
    IMG_3715.jpg
    77.2 KB · Views: 72
  • IMG_3727.jpg
    IMG_3727.jpg
    71.6 KB · Views: 75
  • IMG_3725.jpg
    IMG_3725.jpg
    61.7 KB · Views: 75
OP
OP
casadejohnson

casadejohnson

Bronco Alchemist
I looked at it this morning. The body is worse than it looks in the photos. The hood has cracks all over and not much lines up any more. I'm probably to critical. So, how far off am I? Is it worth $3000?

OP
OP
casadejohnson

casadejohnson

Bronco Alchemist
I'll probably drive it this week sometime. The battery is dead from sitting but I'll jump it and see how it drives. It's got an old school lift ( Superlift ) so I'm sure its pretty rough. The Steering box had alot of work put into it so I'm interested to see how it drives and what the ratio is.

DirtDonk

Contributor
Bronco Guru
I think you're near right on the money myself. Maybe 1500 these days.
Could you get more for it? Sure, if the right person is looking for one at the same time they're trying to sell it. As was said, I'd bet the right someone would pay 4 grand for it. Mainly because they could say it's got a 351 and a 4-speed with a larger gas tank. And most people willing to pay that amount haven't been looking for long enough to know that just around the corner is a pristine survivor about to go on the block for $3500.
But that's about it. Rust buckets typically sell for $1500 here in CA. But only if they're not in too bad a shape. They may be advertised for more at first, but people talk them down in most cases.
Someone recently said they paid $1000 for one just a few months ago when the owner was asking $2500 at first. And several Broncos have gone wanting for a home recently too, when it was determined that they were in much worse condition than the advertising owner had led on.
Just too much rust and nobody in their right mind wanted it.

In my mind, the rusted through door, roof, and the cracks in the hood are all deal-breakers. But that's just me. I don't need a parts truck. And I wouldn't give $1000 for an unknown engine and tranny. Only the fuel tank has any allure, and even that might be rusty if it's been in long enough.

Paul

DirtDonk

Contributor
Bronco Guru
...and Power steering that I could not ID right off.

Old school GM Saginaw box swap. Good box really, and semi hard to find the one like that, where the mounting holes allow it to be mounted to the outside of the frame rails. Most GM boxes are the same basic design, but are meant to bolt inside the rail.

Hmm, other than a few people who've done it independently, this is one of the boxes that Stroppe used to put in their conversions. Even though it's a super long shot, you might verify by the VIN that this is not some long lost Stroppe truck. Check with Andrew too, to make sure.
Unlikely maybe, but wouldn't be the first time one slipped through the cracks.

Paul

OP
OP
casadejohnson

casadejohnson

Bronco Alchemist
The owner knows he's not going to get top dollar but I don't wan't to see him give it away for half what its worth. I'm not buying it myself because I don't think I can buy it with enough room to resell it and make it worth my while. I just want to help him get it sold for a fair price. Pretty much just trying to help him out because they a friends with my parents. I believe they would be pleased to get $4000 and that would be a loss to them.

Terkish

I'm going to say 2-3k somewhere right in there. I would say 4k is pushing it. Would only get that like was said, if the right person came along at the right time.

777mechanic

Loc.
centennial colorado
i go and look at most of the bronco's in south east area of colorado and from what i've seen in the pics , it needs door posts for sure on drivers side , inner fenders, inner rockers and outers , and also the wiring looks hacked , manual brakes so probably drums . so i think 2000. to 2500. would be tops if everything was working .

travis77

Loc.
Pasadena MD
That truck gets $4500 Today in MD. $1500? 351, np435, edelbrock carb and drives? I'm no guru, but 1500 would be an insult to me. A complete parts truck is 1500.

Maybe Colorado is different.

OP
OP
casadejohnson

casadejohnson

Bronco Alchemist
That truck gets $4500 Today in MD. $1500? 351, np435, edelbrock carb and drives? I'm no guru, but 1500 would be an insult to me. A complete parts truck is 1500.

Maybe Colorado is different.

I didn't offer $1500. I knew what I could pay for it to resell it and still make money. I also know what they paid. That's why I'm helping them sell it instead. Also, I think prices on Broncos is very regional. I paid $3000 for my 66 U13 with a half cab and very minimal rust.

OP
OP
casadejohnson

casadejohnson

Bronco Alchemist
Old school GM Saginaw box swap. Good box really, and semi hard to find the one like that, where the mounting holes allow it to be mounted to the outside of the frame rails. Most GM boxes are the same basic design, but are meant to bolt inside the rail.

Hmm, other than a few people who've done it independently, this is one of the boxes that Stroppe used to put in their conversions. Even though it's a super long shot, you might verify by the VIN that this is not some long lost Stroppe truck. Check with Andrew too, to make sure.
Unlikely maybe, but wouldn't be the first time one slipped through the cracks.

Paul

Take a close look at the photo of the power steering box and there's another photo of the box from above. The frame is notched to accommodate the steering box. It narrows down to less than half of the original width of the frame where the box is mounted. I have never seen one mounted like that.

travis77

Loc.
Pasadena MD
I didn't offer $1500. I knew what I could pay for it to resell it and still make money. I also know what they paid. That's why I'm helping them sell it instead. Also, I think prices on Broncos is very regional. I paid $3000 for my 66 U13 with a half cab and very minimal rust.
I was quoting Dirtdonk who I've got mad respect for. Just makes me think I'll never dare to sell a Bronco on this site. The gurus will say my DD is worth 2k.

DirtDonk

Contributor
Bronco Guru
I was quoting Dirtdonk who I've got mad respect for. Just makes me think I'll never dare to sell a Bronco on this site. The gurus will say my DD is worth 2k.

Hah! I know I'm a bit jaded, and that prices have been going up, but maybe we just have more for sale around here. Like I alluded to before, you buy a rust-bucket for 4500, and then a week later you find a 1-owner '77 with 89k miles and in good shape still for $3500. The prices are still just all over the place.
And yeah, that same '77 in another market, or at auction, would be advertised for 40k by some. Seen similar prices just recently. In fact, several have come up on Craigslist and elsewhere in the 20 to 25k range that were not all that wonderful. Fancy and pretty decent yes, but nothing worth what they were asking. A few months ago, you could have had three pretty much ready to go, fully optioned, recently painted, EFI'd and lifted EB for $7500 on Craigslist.
So it all depends. But since I've seen several rigs go in the $1500 range in recent months, I stick by my previous estimate.
Regionally speaking that is...

As for your DD, unless it's body is falling apart with rust (like this one), no way would I say less than 4500 if it was relatively tame and moderately clean. Even if very little was new or updated. It just has to be clean and relatively rust-free. Remember, in CA we figure rust is a big deal, and "rust-free" (depending on your definition of rust free I suppose) is not as hard to come by in most cases.
If yours has lots of bolt-ons and is high in "goody-factor", it'd get a lot more. But to be more than 8k around here, it'd have to have a fair amount going for it.
Just two years ago, I passed on a super-primo-completely-restored-and-updated-to-the-nth-degree-with-EFI-etc '75 for $14K. In that case, I think it was worth every penny. Not a lot more, but every penny of that and I would not have felt like I paid too much. But it was like Mary Poppins... "Practically perfect in every way."

Paul

DirtDonk

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Take a close look at the photo of the power steering box and there's another photo of the box from above. The frame is notched to accommodate the steering box. It narrows down to less than half of the original width of the frame where the box is mounted. I have never seen one mounted like that.

Yeah, I've seen several that way. In fact, I think even the Stroppes were notched. Pretty sure they didn't do that much trimming to the inner fender, but also pretty sure that some at least had the frame notched.
Buddy around here had one mounted directly to a full-width frame rail, but he had to get more creative with u-joints, fender trimming, and draglink length.
Again though, maybe Andrew can confirm or deny that.

Paul

OP
OP
casadejohnson

casadejohnson

Bronco Alchemist
Capitalism says the market will set the value. Put it on ebay and let it work. Post back.

I don't think its going to Ebay but its up to the owner not me. I'm really curious to see what it goes for as well.