• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Not starting, getting spark and fuel

orange69

My bronco had been sitting for a few months and now will not start. After doing some quick testing (air, fuel, spark) it still will not start. I originally thought it was just bad gas but it would not fire even with starting fluid! I checked for spark on plug #1 and it was there. It has a Pertronix Billet Flame Thrower II distributor. I've been searching all over and found a few things to try, but it just leads me to more questions. I checked the timing with a timing light and even though its hard to read, it looks to be ok. By that I mean it is firing within the timing marks on the balancer. Looks to be around 8. But here's my question. When the motor is turning over, the spark is not consistant. Its not the steady blink, blink, blink, its more blink, blink,...........blink....blink. (Sorry I'm trying to describe it as best as I can.)My guess is the ignition module is bad? I though maybe my timing light has a short, but I tried it on my other bronco and it worked perfectly every time. Since the motor isn't running, it that why the spark isn't consistant? The bronco ran fine when I parked it a few months ago.

When I crank it over, it acts like it wants to fire, but just sputters a few times, then nothing. It did once kind of backfired through the carb, which is why I started checking the timing. It kinda made a "whump" sound and that's when I noticed the carb was on fire! Of course I was dumping a lot of fuel down the carb trying to get it to fire. Even though I'm getting spark, is it not firing because its not consistant, more of a sparatic spark?

Thanks

SHX669

Bronco Guru
Try spraying WD 40 inside the distributor cap and distributor and also down the carb - especially in the "air bleed/vent hole " area.
Backfire you described is common when dumping too much fuel into the intake. Try not pumping the gas when it seems flooded.
SHX

OP
OP
orange69

orange69

Thanks for the reply SHX669. I'm not sure exactly where on the carb to try some WD40. It's got an Edelbrock carb. I forgot to mention I cleaned all the contacts in the distributor cap. Even though they looked pretty good, there was a little build up of some kind of residue/corrosion on the contacts. But not enough to worry about (or so I thought). Still didn't help.

This is a fresh rebuilt motor too. It probably has less than 50 miles on it.

Thanks

OP
OP
orange69

orange69

Well after testing everything (coil, wires, etc..) I ended up pulling the spark plugs and they were really wet with gas. Go figure. Anyways, cleaned them all up and it fired right up. WooHoo. Thanks for the help everyone.