• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

NP 435 install with no body lift

valveamp

Hi, everyone. I'm thinking about going to an NP435 tranny, but I have no body lift on my '71. I know a body lift makes it easier to install, but I'd like to know if there are any issues with intalling the 435 without a body lift. What do I need to consider before I install it?

Thanks.

JMurray

Without a body lift it will iterfere with the heater plenum. You can trim it I suppose.

WorkerBee

Loc.
Northern CA
The previous owner of my bronco installed one with no body lift. he pretty much cut out the entire top of the tunnel to do it though. Also, depending on what transfer case you use you may need to cut a new access for that shifter. I had the NP205 so even more of the tunnel was removed to facilitate that shifter.

A body lift is not that bad to install and there are many other benefits to having one.

Here's a picture of mine right before I ripped out the motor and trans. This was after I installed a 1" body lift.

Attachments

• IMG_2732.jpg
    IMG_2732.jpg
    128.5 KB · Views: 77

ford man

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Leesburg Ga
The previous owner of my bronco installed one with no body lift. he pretty much cut out the entire top of the tunnel to do it though. Also, depending on what transfer case you use you may need to cut a new access for that shifter. I had the NP205 so even more of the tunnel was removed to facilitate that shifter.

A body lift is not that bad to install and there are many other benefits to having one.

Here's a picture of mine right before I ripped out the motor and trans. This was after I installed a 1" body lift.

I did the same on one of mine and like workerbee said you have to cut alot of the tunnel because you have to go so high to line up the splines and them push in when doing the install. As far as the heater mine does touch it but no real big deal .The one advantage is you can heat up the stick and bend it out of the way"nice when your 6.6" I also have the 205 and I cut the shift rod down and turned it around so it go's under the dash when in 4 low and even with the dash in 2hi so its out of the way too.I say cut the whole top of tunnal and the cross member too and then put tabs on it and rebolt it in or fab a new one.I can get pic if you would like mine is not fancy it a trail truck.

Nelson

Loc.
Sulphur, LA
Mine has a body lift and I still had to cut the main part of the tunnel out to fit it all in. I then reinforced the crossbrace and fabed a new cover for the top of the tunnel.

Attachments

• IMG_2133.jpg
    IMG_2133.jpg
    78.3 KB · Views: 71
  • IMG_2132.jpg
    IMG_2132.jpg
    84.2 KB · Views: 68
  • IMG_2131.jpg
    IMG_2131.jpg
    77.3 KB · Views: 75
  • IMG_2130.jpg
    IMG_2130.jpg
    79.8 KB · Views: 70

okie4570

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Loc.
NW OK
No body lift on my 71'. Previous owner installed before I purchased and had not added bed liner to the new tunnel cover...............I haven't either:)
photobucket-20707-1353033210529.jpg

KyleQ

Bronco Guru
NP435 + Atlas II = not a lot of floor without a body lift. I've had it this way for a few years (I've got other shit to fix, lol) and its fine.

I'm building another Bronco with a 351W/NP435/NP205 and I'm installing a 1" body lift to help.