• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Np 435 question........

va bronco

Loc.
Henry, VA 24102
Will the output shaft in a stock 3 speed tranny work in the np 435 tranny? I'm not trying to sound like a dumb a** about it but if it can work I may try it. It would save me some money.

TIGERNUTZ

Loc.
Louisiana
Not sure, but I would lean towards no. The spud shaft from the stock 3 speed and the Dana 20 TC will work with the 435/I6 intermediate housing/adapter/Dana 20 if that's what you're asking. I did this swap last year.

Broncobowsher

Total hack
As for exactly what you asked for. No, the 3 speed output shaft is different then a NP435 output shaft. The spud shaft (28 female splines, 6 males splines) you do want to keep and use. The 28female splines slips over the 28 male spines on the 435 output shaft.

OP
OP
V

va bronco

Loc.
Henry, VA 24102
I got a NP 435 tranny but it came out of a wrecker. The thing has a different input & output shaft cause the truck had a big block engine in it. I thought if I can re-use my output shaft that would save me some money. But I'm also looking at whether I should just go to a ZF tranny.