• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

NP 435 Transmission Question

jw1675

Ok so i hawe the stock 3 on the tree transmission and put a hurst shifter kit on it i hate the location of the shift and am thinking i will go to the np 435 transmission for the top shifter application i chose this one because one it is the least expinsive option and two it seemed to be the easiest to install. I wondering has anyone done this conversion and how hard and what did it intell?

broncnaz

Bronco Guru
Pretty easy installl and as you mentioned one of the cheaper ones. As for the actual install you will need to cut a fairly large hole in the trans tunnel for it to fit if you have a body lift then the hole will be smaller. The only other issue is the shifter needsd to be bent to clear the dash and be in reach of the driver. Not to hard to do if you have a torch.

Otherwise I like the NP 435 some people cry because it doesnt shift sporty enough for them but for the price you cant beat the granny low. In the ned its a truck transission and feels like it and if you offroad its perfect. I dont find it bad on road around town either but Im used to it. been running mine since 86.

thirdtime

Contributor
Just finished mine, it totally changed the truck. I would do it again in a heartbeat.

Banjer Picker

Bronco Guru
Just finished my swap from the 3 spd on the floor to the Np435. Absolutely enjoying it so far, but as stated....absolutely does not shift as smooth as the floor shift 3 speed. I wouldn't recommend swapping solely for the sake of trying to relocate the shifter tho.

roundhouse

Bronco Guru
You use the duff shifter? Or some other brand?

Duffs is made specifically for the bronco
And was perfect

I had one before I installed the nv3550 and the duffs was great location

Last edited:

Broncobowsher

Total hack
I have never been impressed with the floor shifter. Even putting a new one in on a rebuilt transmission it never felt that good. When I put the 435 in it was the best feeling shifter I ever had in a Bronco (I have not done any of the moder 5-speeds).

I think a big part of it is finding a 435 that has a shifter that isn't worn out as well.

jim3326

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Appleturkey
Pretty easy installl and as you mentioned one of the cheaper ones. As for the actual install you will need to cut a fairly large hole in the trans tunnel for it to fit if you have a body lift then the hole will be smaller. The only other issue is the shifter needsd to be bent to clear the dash and be in reach of the driver. Not to hard to do if you have a torch.
QUOTE]

I put the 'Gearbanger' on mine instead of the retarded bent shifter and it works great. I can also adjust the throw to suit my taste by sliding the clamps up or down, very niffty.

If you dont have a 2" body lift, besides the large hole, you will have to modify the body support also. I cut mine out and put a 3/8 X 2 piece of flatbar in instead.

Jim W.

Attachments

• Gearbanger1.jpg
    Gearbanger1.jpg
    72.7 KB · Views: 131

KyleQ

Bronco Guru
I like the way it shifts, don't listen to the whiny bitches, this isn't a sports car.... The transmission "fits" in with the rest of the EB- I cut a giant hole in my floor to clear it along with my AtlasII. I'm putting another NP435 into my street truck, but that is getting a 2" body lift... So, maybe consider a 1" - I would after how much I cut up my floor...

thepunisher

Loc.
summertown,
My first truck had np435, my second truck was a 97 f-150, 5 speed. Traded the 97 for a power stoke automatic. I put the np435 in my crawler, I also put an np-435 with the terra low in my luber I'm building. As soon as I can find that money tree my powerstroke will have a manual trans.I love the manual trans....

OP
OP
J

jw1675

ok so im gonna lay this statement out as a question.

1: find a np 435
2: cut tunnel
3: bolt tranmission to exsisting bell (or does it come with its own)
4: bolt to engine
5: find adapter for tranfer
6: bolt it on to tranmission then put transfer on
7: decide on shifter option

is this what the basics of the process that i am looking at and im sure if i said it faster it would sound easier.

Broncobowsher

Total hack
I would start with finding the transmission and adaptor first. There are a few variants of the NP435. 2WD (or divorced 4WD) with the 28 spline yoke on the output. It has to be a Ford NP435 as well, the other makes are different enough they won't work. It will bolt to your existing bellhousing and use your existing clutch (replace as needed since you will be there anyway).

So once you have the trans ready to go then you can remove the transfer case and fit it. Put the whole thing in. You don't want to be trying to fit the adaptor to the transmission while it is already in the truck proped up with a jack.

broncnaz

Bronco Guru
Yep those are the basics. NP 435 bolts to your exisiting bellhousing uses the same clutch, crossmember location is the same so driveshaft lengths stay the same. Best 435 to get is one out of a 2wd truck as it should have the correct 28 spline outputshaft. Just double check the spline count if you find one in a 1980's up truck as i've heard they can have 31 spline shafts.
Also be aware that T-18's and T19s are also options most use the same adapter as the NP435

jim3326

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Appleturkey
As awkward as it is I would bolt the tranny and transfer case together before you put them under the rig. I think it would be alot easier in the longrun than trying to get the 6 bolts to line up while your upside down and a couple of them are real hard to get to if the crossmember is in. If it's not in then you have to support the tranny while you lift the transfer case.

Jim W.

KyleQ

Bronco Guru
As awkward as it is I would bolt the tranny and transfer case together before you put them under the rig. I think it would be alot easier in the longrun than trying to get the 6 bolts to line up while your upside down and a couple of them are real hard to get to if the crossmember is in. If it's not in then you have to support the tranny while you lift the transfer case.

Jim W.

I disagree here - install the transmission alone, its going to be fun enough...

After you get the transmission bolted to the engine use a jack on the intermediate housing to hold it up (I've seriously used a ratchet strap over the top of the frame rails to hold the transmission up too - you can do it by hand, you just dont want the fan into the radiator or shroud up front)

Now you can toss on the transfer case - I've done D20's, NP205's and the Atlas II, you can get to all of the bolts easy enough. Once you get it bolted on, lift it up and put the cross member into place - easy stuff with a jack.

Take a look at my build thread, I go over all sorts of good info and picture everything of interest in my NP435 install. Link is in my sig-

2WD NP435/Kurt's 1" adapter/I-6 Intermediate/D20

roundhouse

Bronco Guru
Also a tip

Get some long bolts that will thread into the bell housing saw the heads off
Then you can slide the trans onto the sawed off bolts
Then replace with real bolts
This works on the tcase also.

ep67bro

Contributor
Bronco Junky
Loc.
Easton, MD
Love my NP-435. Was a pretty easy install. Just need some muscle to get the dam thing in. The bronco is now a dream on the trail. no riding the clutch on the trail, just crawl along.