• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Np205 UPPER FRAME MOUNT BRACKET PICS?

DEEPWOODS

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Anyone have any pics of how you fabed up a mount for the np205 upper Frame mount Thanks Keith

bax

Contributor
Old Member
The side mount will have to sit on top of the frame. I chose to use the stock type mount like a big bronco. With the mount sandwiched between the 2 rubber bushings and the stud mounted to the frame. I have seen others use like a track bar bushing and make a mount that has a thru bolt. That way looks good too.

Attachments

• P1010013_3.JPG
    P1010013_3.JPG
    65.2 KB · Views: 639
OP
OP
DEEPWOODS

DEEPWOODS

Contributor
Bronco Guru
I have fabed up the bracket like Bax's today, I have templates if anyone wants them just let me know . I used new crossmember mounts and cut the bottom one off to the same size as the top one. The bottom center hole in the bracket is so close to the frame rail I counter sunk it to use a big flat head machine screw see pics

Attachments

• NP 205  mount 001.jpg
    NP 205 mount 001.jpg
    256.1 KB · Views: 232
  • NP 205  mount 002.jpg
    NP 205 mount 002.jpg
    210.4 KB · Views: 191
  • NP 205  mount 003.jpg
    NP 205 mount 003.jpg
    224.2 KB · Views: 200
  • NP 205  mount 004.jpg
    NP 205 mount 004.jpg
    207 KB · Views: 187
  • NP 205  mount 005.jpg
    NP 205 mount 005.jpg
    177 KB · Views: 185
  • NP 205  mount 006.jpg
    NP 205 mount 006.jpg
    238.5 KB · Views: 274
OP
OP
DEEPWOODS

DEEPWOODS

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Bolt all the way through so you can pull it out easy 1/2" X 6 1/2" bolt I am going to use a lock nut on the top

Steve83

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Memphis, TN, USA, Earth, Milky Way
How much body lift does that require? What happens if you don't attach the t-case to the frame? Is the crossmember not strong enough?

BTW
How much is a used UNrebuilt NP205 worth if it's been sitting on the ground for a few years? I've found one locally, but the guy wants $200, and he doesn't know if it works.

hammer

Bronco Guru
How much body lift does that require? What happens if you don't attach the t-case to the frame? Is the crossmember not strong enough?

205 weighs a lot more than a dana 20 and its hanging off the rear of an aluminum housed transmission most of the time in these swaps.

I don't think a BL would be needed at all based on how mine is done.

OP
OP
DEEPWOODS

DEEPWOODS

Contributor
Bronco Guru
I have a 1" body lift on the one I just fabed up you could do it with no body lift with thinner rubber mounts . There is a tab hanging down that holds the EM brake cable you would need to relocate it and notch a body reinforcement rail to go with no body lift.I did the 1" body lift more for the 408 stroker engine and I want to stay with a stock hood it possible. I was going to use the old body mounts but I liked how the transmission mount has a metal centering sleeve in it .I got new ones from Jeff's BG and cut the lower one that sits on the frame rail down in height with my chop saw

Steve83

Bronco Guru
Loc.
I have a 1" body lift on the one I just fabed up you could do it with no body lift with thinner rubber mounts . ...notch a body reinforcement rail to go with no body lift.
That's why I asked: it looked like bax's & your insulators were a little too tall for no lift. I think John is planning on a small lift whether he uses the D20 or an NP205, but those pics will help us decide just how much.

COBlu77

Loc.
Arvada, CO

BTW
How much is a used UNrebuilt NP205 worth if it's been sitting on the ground for a few years? I've found one locally, but the guy wants $200, and he doesn't know if it works.

IMO, you do need to attach it to the frame. It was clear, when I put mine in, that the unsupported weight twisted the whole drive train towards the drivers side, not to mention what the engine torque would do to further twist it. One good bounce and you could probably crack the tranny housing, without the frame support. I used the other method, but both should work just as well. I was going to do it like Bax, but didn't think welding a stud to the top of the frame would be strong enough and wasn't too keen on a putting a hole clear through the frame, without capturing the bolt with tubing. I'm not an engineer, so my way has it's issues too. I have a 2" BL less would make it more difficult, but not impossible.

Every locality is a little different, but the yards here, that will pull things for you, wanted $200-$250 for a pulled NP205. I pulled mine myself and it was $125 plus a $25 core charge. Pulling it at the yard was not much fun, because I was by myself. Definately plan on bringing a very strong friend either way. Yard prices have gone up some since I did this. Also, plan on that same strong friend when you put it in. I ended up with mine sitting on my chest for about 20 minutes, until my wife came home from work. You can only bench press those things so many times and I'm getting too old.

Attachments

• crossmember2.JPG
    crossmember2.JPG
    96.4 KB · Views: 227
  • crossmember3.jpg
    crossmember3.jpg
    120.6 KB · Views: 254
OP
OP
DEEPWOODS

DEEPWOODS

Contributor
Bronco Guru
There is a hole in the bottom of the frame from the factory that was perfect in line so all I had to do was drill the top hole in the frame. I am going to use a lock nut and large thick washer on bottom and just snug it down till it is thigh on the rubber mount so its not so tight that you will need a tube in the frame to keep from crushing it.

Steve83

Bronco Guru
Loc.
...the unsupported weight twisted the whole drive train towards the drivers side, not to mention what the engine torque would do to further twist it.
That makes sense - I didn't realize a 205 was THAT heavy offcenter.
One good bounce and you could probably crack the tranny housing, without the frame support.
That seems extreme to me, but I haven't messed with a 205 yet. I know the 4R70W can handle at least 700 lb-ft of torque, so it would take a helluva jolt to break the case. I guess if you do aggressive rockcrawling (rockbouncing? ;D), that could happen.

I agree with DeepWoods - a throughbolt doesn't need to be very tight to hold that weight down, so a tube shouldn't be necessary.

joshd1971bronco

Loc.
Oklahoma City, OK
Okay guys - I have to do this exact same thing. Thanks for all the pics and Deepwoods, I might hit you up for the template.

Hey, can someone give me an idea on what to buy for the bushing and insert? Is it a body mount bushing (like an extra one you had laying around)? Where do I get one?

Thanks,

Josh

OP
OP
DEEPWOODS

DEEPWOODS

Contributor
Bronco Guru
I almost used a old body mount rubber bushing but I decided I liked the original bronco crossmember mounts because they have a steel centering ring in them.The fuel lines and wires go between the transfer case and frame rail there is only about 5/8" between them.

Murc38

I have fabed up the bracket like Bax's today, I have templates if anyone wants them just let me know . I used new crossmember mounts and cut the bottom one off to the same size as the top one. The bottom center hole in the bracket is so close to the frame rail I counter sunk it to use a big flat head machine screw see pics

Murc38

If possible, please send the template and all pertinent information on the 205 swap. Thanks I you kindly!!