• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

oil pan for strokers

rjrobin2002

Bronco Guru
Stock pan works fine, don't know about the oil pump other than most people say Fords don't require hv pumps like Chevys do. What does a body lift have to do with anything?

Kyle.malone

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Norman, OK
Boidy lift doesn't matter with the oil pan, just what is sitting on the top. I have a 331 and run the stock '71 pan. It will do just fine. I owuld not put a high flow pump in though. A new stock replacement will work just fine. I start mine up and run good pressure.

DirtDonk

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Hey Kegger. You have an engine in there now, or are you going to be sourcing the engine out of some other vehicle?
By "stock", the other guys mean that you need a 351 pan (302 won't fit) but one that came out of either a 4wd truck or a Fox-body car.
The Fox cars are not perfect matches for the Early Bronco pan, but they're close enough to work. Don't know if there was ever a 351 offered in one though, so if the pan on your engine now is not a rear sump, or sometimes a double-sump pan, and you can't find a pan in the junkyard, you can get conversion pans based on the EB pan from most of the Bronco vendors.
If you go aftermarket though, then the sky's the limit for what you can get, as long as it fits an EB with it's pan-smashing front differential.

Make sure to get the pickup that goes with whatever pan too, if you didn't already know that.

I'd agree with what Kyle said about the pump too. While I like the high-volume concept, and have used them in other engines, this engine family from Ford has it's share of sheared distributor shaft pins that would keep me away from one on my next build.

I've used them in Fords, and have not had a sheared pin yet, but there are quite a few threads here on the forums (though none lately that I recall) to give you the idea it's a real problem.

Good luck.

Paul

Broncobowsher

Total hack
302 or 351 based stroker? They use different pans.

From your other posts, you are looking at a 351? Any of the Bronco venders will have a selection that will work. Junkyard options include 80's rear sump trucks (2WD will even work) they just need a little clearance dimple for the front diff. They will self dimple just fine. Rear sump 80's car pans work as well. I believe that Canton offeres a Bronco specific pan with the corner nipped off for diff clearance.

What ever pan you get be sure to get a matching pickup tube.
If the block does not have a dipstick tube you will need one on the pan.
Special pans are not needed for any of the common storker kits.

I don't use HV pumps anymore on small blocks. Properly built and clearanced a standard volume will keep everything well fed. My latest is Melling offers a high performance pump with a lower support and an adjustable pressure relief. If you plan to turn a lot of RPM then turn up the relief pressure a little bit. My last 330" stroker would turn almost 7k and I upped the relief pressure to closer to 70 PSI. Had to build my own test rig with a coffee can, pressure gauge on a Tee fitting on a home-made pump discharge with a orficed flow back into the coffee can. All spun with a drill. Turned the allen to up the relief pressure. Had no trouble holding pressure at any RPM it would turn without the extra parasatic drag of a HV pump blowing against the relief valve.

airbur

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Castle Pines, CO
I am doing a 427w stroker and just bought the oil pan and pickup. I went with the 7qt pan designed for the 351w swaps in 66-77 Broncos by Canton Racing as well as their pickup and dipstick.

I am using a stock-volume oil pump for the reasons already mentioned and an ARP shaft.

I'm sure you already know but the pickup to oil pan floor clearance is critical and must be checked and adjusted if necessary.

ctr-16-670_w.jpg

Broncobowsher

Total hack
I run these pans pretty exclusively. They have never failed me with price, quality, or service.

http://www.kevkoracing.com/ford.htm

I used there stuff on the stroker Ranger project. Good value. The one I got was the basic reworked stock pan. I did have to modify it as I had too much stuff in the pan. The pickup tube didn't clear the windage tray. After modifying the picup tube it interfered with the pan. All part of building modified engines. I would use them again.

But I would still lean toward the Canton for the Bronco specific application if given the choice.

OP
OP
K

Kegger

Loc.
belton,Texas
oil pan

The engine builder likes hv pumps ,the standard pan may not clear, So I changed the build to the standard pan using a regular pump, 357w or 331 Iam like the wind on this. If my bronco was higher I could use the 7 qt pan. On the to do list. Shes still running the mustang 5.0 95 ho all is well, just trying to figure which would be an easyer swap. wireing, dizzy, front assesories exc. thanks guys for your all's help 331 with my stock stuff ? - inj, mass air, tb eddy performer intake. thanks again ken

Kyle.malone

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Norman, OK
If your running the 5.0 HO now, and wanting to rebuild. I would do the 331 or 347. Putting in a 351 based block will require some mods to get it to fit.

OP
OP
K

Kegger

Loc.
belton,Texas
5.0 oil pan

ok, current motor 95 5.0 looks like a duel sump fox body pan that self dimple from the dana 44, not going 351 5.0 roller block with the dip stick going into the block, just above the pan with the clip or retainers that go around the pan will this pan work for a stroker 331 , thanks, I assume its form the 95 original motor.

DirtDonk

Contributor
Bronco Guru
He said 331 though, so it might work.
If I'm not mistaken though Kegger, there was at least one change to the pan rail area of the 5.0 blocks over the years. Don't know when that was, or if it was just Explorer engines, or what, but it looked to me like the early pan was incompatible with the later pan.
Might have been done to make sure nobody was using an older pan on the later 1-piece rear main seal blocks. If that's the case, then probably any later model pan will fit.
Just not sure. Wait for confirmation from someone that knows.

But if you're saying you're going to use the pan that's on there now, of course any differences don't come into play, as the pan already is known to fit that block.

Paul

Broncobowsher

Total hack
I did a 330" stroker with a stock pan based Kevco pan. So a stock 5.0 pan will work with a stroker.

Although after building a 351 for the Bronco and the 330" stroker for the Ranger, I like the off the shelf 351 displacment over the stroked 5.0 overall. I was let down enough with the stroker that I ended up trying different cams and finally sold it. The 330 wasn't a slouch, it had the same power as the 351 on the dyno. But the 351 just had the grunt. I won't do a 5.0 in a Bronco inless it was a simple stock install, that is I won't build up a 5.0 based engine for anymore bronco projects.

Hozr

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Oly, WA
Which model?

I'm thinking I'll use the "T" pan this time. Although the front sump looks like it only extends to the right which would give a little more driveshaft room.

I've used the "t" F101-3, F404, and F902 in the past. You can also have any of the pans painted or coated however you want, just call an ask. I usually get them painted black.

OP
OP
K

Kegger

Loc.
belton,Texas
milodon 7 qt pan

Ok this is a 331 build milodon 7 gt going with standard v pump drill,thread, and plug, the block . thanks guys would have to change everything to go 351 a custom cam should give it to me down low . thanks again