• Just a reminder that you won't be able to start new posts or reply to existings posts in the Archive forum.

This is where all the old posts go so they can still be used for reference and searched.
  • Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

OK.. So here's a little update on the '76 crawler

OP
OP
ebroncoman

ebroncoman

Loc.
Denver
Mtn Gote said:
Man, looks sick. In a good way. What are the width, and rim size of those tires. great work.

Those are stock Cheby wheels, 7.5" x 16... I think. They came with the tires, I'll up grade to some wider beadlocks later. The tires are 38"x13x16's. I got a smokin deal on them and they're almost brand new! :cool:

BroncoJAK

Bronco Guru
Just a suggestion: you could open up the wheel opening in the rear by cutting above the tire and move the section rearward. Course you would have to seperate the upper and lower sections to do this not to mention the taillamp corner. Looking good.

jimmyhat

PDXBronco said:
Those rear fenders look great!

I love your idea on upping the fenders front and back im doing what you just did to mine Im at the same stage will get pictures up soon!

Gummi Bear

Bronco Guru
I like where you're going with this. Keep up the good work, and with the pics!

You gonna go full hydro for steering, I saw you were selling the stock setup, wondering what you've got in mind.

What's your plan for suspension? Stock-ish components, just stretched out, or are we going to be seeing a link job here?

OP
OP
ebroncoman

ebroncoman

Loc.
Denver
Well here are some pics of what the newly cut rear fenders look like! I've lost some of the uncut look that I was going for, but I needed to sacrifice astetics for wheel base and tire clearance... And yes, you'll be seeing a four link rear set up as well as a cool Y-link set up for the front (similar to the XJ and TJ long arm set ups);D . Thanks for your comments! -E

OP
OP
ebroncoman

ebroncoman

Loc.
Denver
Gummi Bear said:
I like where you're going with this. Keep up the good work, and with the pics!

You gonna go full hydro for steering, I saw you were selling the stock setup, wondering what you've got in mind.

What's your plan for suspension? Stock-ish components, just stretched out, or are we going to be seeing a link job here?

Oh, and I'm just going to go with hydro assist. Since I'm moving the front axle about 8+ inches forward, so I've installed a '79 fullsize F150 (swing forward) which will work perfectly! An E350 saginaw pump rounds out the system for now...

OP
OP
ebroncoman

ebroncoman

Loc.
Denver
Corvette Atomic Orange...

Is that color loud enough or what? My friends all hate it, my finance hates it... but I love it, and that's what color the bronco will be!!!! ;D ;D ;D So, I've made up my mind. I just hope that the paint isn't too expensive. I'm building this thing on a $2000 budget you know %) -E

Cooper

Loc.
Northeast
WOW! I'm not sure but that might even be brighter than the International Orange that emergency rafts and life jackets are manufactured in!

Hmmm ... might be a cost saving alternative; Search and Rescue Orange in a gelcoat and customized by mixing in a fine orange metal flake.

In any case, you'll have to wear sunglasses just to look out over the hood :cool:. I like it!

Bitch'nBronco

Contributor
Loose Cannon
Loc.
Ringwood, NJ
Have you looked at teh Lamborghini orange? Its similar to the vette orange, but it has a little bit of pearl in it, so the color looks incredible. If you go to a paint store ask for their PPG color guide, and look at that color in the sun. Its pretty sweet.

SACHEM

Back From the Dead
I think the orange will look great. I can't wait for another update.

Snafu

Loc.
Guntersville, AL
How did you narrow the front? Did you have to cut out part of the firewall to angle the fenders in? Show some pics of how you did it please.

OP
OP
ebroncoman

ebroncoman

Loc.
Denver
Snafu said:
How did you narrow the front? Did you have to cut out part of the firewall to angle the fenders in? Show some pics of how you did it please.
The front and rear are both narrowed 12" and I didn't have to cut any out of the firewall. I did cut 6" off of either side of the radiator support, and the entire 12" out of the middle of the grille. I still have to fab the fender support frame, probably tomorrow... I'll also post some more pics of the progess later. -E

Hey SACHEM, nice bronc! That's the kind of motivation that I need!!

OP
OP
ebroncoman

ebroncoman

Loc.
Denver
Finally... An update!!

OK... So it's been a long cold winter, so I'm finally able to get back into the garage and work on the ol' bronco. Here's the latest:

Rock Skis

Here's a look at the 1/2" plate steel armor plating. Notice the disc braked Dana 60 in the background.

Here are a couple of shots with the tires rolled up next to it.. Also my version of the "mock roadster doors". Man, I'm going to have sooo much body work ?:?

Here is the narrowed hood and the beginning of the front bumper. The shock hoops will tie into bumper behind the grille, come trough the grille and tie into the front hoop!

I got her running on her own yesterday; new electric fuel pump, new battery, mech fuel pump, and of course a little starting fluid! It purrs like a kitten, probably because it's only a wussy 302!!

It's coming along... -E

dnewman9

Bronco Guru
wow, looks good. Is that bumper work you have so far done with just a harbor freight bender? It looks pretty good if so!

The axle from your truck is now bolted up under mine with 31spline axles and an aussie locker. I busted my but the last two weekends to get it rolling. I would be out there today on mine if the wife didn't force me to get on the honey-do list.

How soon you planning on having it driveable?
Dennis

Mtn Gote

Loc.
Sultan Wa.
If I may say that your truck reminds me of Tom Boyd's Bronco from the Ultimate challenge when it was orange.Except you have 'uncut' rear fenders. Anyways, It seems to be comin' along pretty good! Looks nice but you still need a front axle!!! What is the front going to be?
Cory,

OP
OP
ebroncoman

ebroncoman

Loc.
Denver
"Harbor Freight baby... 'cause sometimes it's ll you have." Dennis, I can't wait to see Bundy's bronco again!

I had hoped to have it on the road in one year (that would put me at July sometime), but I'm getting married in September sooo... it's kinda delayed things, we'll see!

I'm going to run an HP D44 front. Probaby with chevy 3/4 ton outers and brakes.

sbolejack

Loc.
Rogers, AR
I really admire someone with the ability to tackle a project like this. Maybe one day in the future I will start another one. Keep up the good work!:cool:

Flash69

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Southwest Va
I had hoped to have it on the road in one year (that would put me at July sometime), but I'm getting married in September sooo... it's kinda delayed things, we'll see!

You had better finish that sucker before you get married. You will probably wish you had if you dont. Most women just dont understand the EB.