• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

one sic bronco

HoosierDaddy

Contributor
Bronco Guru
effin' cool.
The thing I don't get , the limiting straps seem to be damn near tight just sitting there.
or am I missing something ?

Mark

Contributor
Bronco Klutz
Loc.
NW Indiana
Evidently my brain is too puny tonight to figure out the function of this...

Is this part of the setup he describes here...
" I had the steering reworked since then by an amazing fellow that used to work on a S.O.D.A. truck for Scott Douglas. His work on the steering is incredible. "NO BUMP STEER". NO tracking bar. If you know anything about steering and suspension you will love the craftsmanship. The steering has a bell crank on the third member which in itself is a work of art. It also has a speeder box which is mounted near the front shock tower before it comes back to the right side of the transmission. It then goes in to a Saginaw steering box before it heads forward following the custom TIG welded radius arms heading to the bell crank"

I do admire the craftmanship even though I don't know anything about steering (I guess).

Attachments

• mystery.jpg
    mystery.jpg
    95.1 KB · Views: 70

Tito

CB Fire Starter
Loc.
Bakersfield, CA
Evidently my brain is too puny tonight to figure out the function of this...

Is this part of the setup he describes here...
" I had the steering reworked since then by an amazing fellow that used to work on a S.O.D.A. truck for Scott Douglas. His work on the steering is incredible. "NO BUMP STEER". NO tracking bar. If you know anything about steering and suspension you will love the craftsmanship. The steering has a bell crank on the third member which in itself is a work of art. It also has a speeder box which is mounted near the front shock tower before it comes back to the right side of the transmission. It then goes in to a Saginaw steering box before it heads forward following the custom TIG welded radius arms heading to the bell crank"

If you figure it out let me know. It looks cool but I dont have a clue what that said up there ^

Mark

Contributor
Bronco Klutz
Loc.
NW Indiana
Here's the bell crank, and here's the steering box up next to the Dana20.

Whew. I think I got it. Still don't see how the knuckles are turning...

Attachments

• mystery2.jpg
    mystery2.jpg
    79.8 KB · Views: 64
  • mystery3.jpg
    mystery3.jpg
    69.4 KB · Views: 65

Viperwolf1

Contributor
electron whisperer
He has the steering box mounted back on the frame above the pass side radius arm attachment point. That way the length of the steering arm out to the bellcrank stays the same wether the front suspension is compressed or extended. Kind of a Rube Goldberg way to get rid of bumpsteer.

nickm

Loc.
South Houston
It seems a lot more confusing than it has to be. The steering goes one way and comes back only to back toward the front again (Z). A full hydro would have been better all the way around. JMO

sstlaure

Bronco Slacker
It's a cool old-school looking pre-runner. I agree on the triple shocks.

I also don't like how the lower heim in the 3-link is loaded 90 degrees from how they are designed to be used (the load path is trying to pop the ball out of the socket.)

It's neat though - definitely a lot of work went into it.

roundhouse

Bronco Guru
The steering looks like the old WW-II Jeeps, with a zillion bellcranks and who knows what all.

Nice trucks though.
Lotta work, looks like a good dune runner.