• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Opinions on gear pattern

Devin

Bronco Kineticist
I am working on getting my ARB and Yukon gears into my D44 and wanted to know what you think of this pattern from simply a pinion depth point of view. The coast is toward the heel, and the drive side is a bit toward the toe (backlash is .010). Sorry for the picture quality of the drive side - my digital camera is a POS.

Any comments would be appreciated.

Thanks.

Attachments

• drive.JPG
    drive.JPG
    118.4 KB · Views: 47
  • coast.JPG
    coast.JPG
    123.6 KB · Views: 52

Mr Joe

Bronco Guru
I'd prefer a little deeper. You can get that by tightening up the backlash .002-.004".

SaddleUp

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Vancouver, WA
Your pattern is a little high. I.E. It is up towards the edge of the tooth. Try to get it closer to the root. Youwant it to set up about half way. Better to be a little deep though than a little shallow. Bring your backlash in a little and post again.

OP
OP
Devin

Devin

Bronco Kineticist
Ok, I tightened up the backlash to about .007. Here are the new patterns. The coast looks a bit deeper, but not much. It is kicked to the heel more. The drive doesn't look much different at all, except that it is kicked to the toe alot more.

Again, any comments appreciated.

Attachments

• drive7.JPG
    drive7.JPG
    118.4 KB · Views: 28
  • coast7.JPG
    coast7.JPG
    117.7 KB · Views: 29

Mr Joe

Bronco Guru
The pinion depth is just a tad too close, but I'd accept it. This does not mean the teeth are too deep, the pinion setting itself is just a little close. If the backlash is .007" after the teeth are cleaned off, I'd button it up.

SaddleUp

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Vancouver, WA
I would never send one out like that. I would drop a couple thousands from the pinion depth to get the pattern position (Not depth) closer to the same on both sides. If one was close to the inside and the other half way out then I would accept it but with one inside and one outside I just wouldn't be happy.

OP
OP
Devin

Devin

Bronco Kineticist
Ok, here is the next iteration. I pulled the pinion out .002 and then adjusted backlash to .006.

Thanks for all of your help - it is really appreciated.

Attachments

• drive8.JPG
    drive8.JPG
    117.3 KB · Views: 36
  • coast8.JPG
    coast8.JPG
    119.5 KB · Views: 34

SaddleUp

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Vancouver, WA
69Bronc said:
Ok, here is the next iteration. I pulled the pinion out .002 and then adjusted backlash to .006.

Thanks for all of your help - it is really appreciated.
Looks good to me. I would button it up and call it good.

Note: Don't forget to use locktite on the cap bolts.

OP
OP
Devin

Devin

Bronco Kineticist
Thanks for all of the advice, guys

All I have to say now is......

;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D