• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Optima

OptimaJim

Hi bad 68, what is the voltage of your YellowTop when it goes into storage for 30-45 days? You also mentioned your batteries in the plural form, so would it be correct to assume you are running a dual setup? If that is the case, dual batteries in parallel configurations should always be the same type, size and age.

RRRAAAYYY2, we haven’t omitted mentioning our continued use of 99.99% virgin lead in any of our literature, although we don’t always mention every feature of our batteries in every ad or document we create.

Here is a link to the actual patent- http://www.google.com/patents?id=t7...urce=gbs_overview_r&cad=0#v=onepage&q&f=false Gates later sold Optima to Gylling, who then sold Optima to JCI in 2000. Hopefully, that will clear up the confusion you might have on that issue.

Do you still happen to have any of the YellowTops with the questionable weight? We occasionally hear stories from folks who claim a difference in weight, but we’re still searching for the batteries attached to these stories. Without them, there’s not much we can do to further investigate those stories, other than to state that YellowTops have never had a weight reduction.

I understand your concerns about gel vs. AGM batteries, as we also share them. Unfortunately, you are asking me about a timeframe that pre-dates JCI’s ownership of Optima. I would say that the science of the two technologies hasn’t changed, in that it has always been harmful to treat AGM batteries like gel batteries. With that being the case, I can’t imagine any manufacturers intentionally wanting to confuse consumers in that regard. Is this timeframe of 15-20 years ago the same timeframe in which you were dealing with the YellowTops?

As for the increase in CCA ratings with the RedTop, I didn’t claim that the increase in cranking amps was equated to an increase in quality. I did state that the performance specs have increased and cited those numbers (650CCA then vs. 800CCA now) as an example. I suppose a correlation could be made between the increase in cranking amps and an increase in quality, but I would probably prefer to cite the use of modern tools, material efficiency, a state-of-the-art production process or continually improving warranty return rates as more appropriate barometers of quality.

It’s important to remember that the original Optima batteries were designed in the 1970s, before CAD. Current RedTops were designed with extensive testing and modeling, using state of the art equipment. Taking nearly any design from the 1970s, one can use modern tools to achieve a material efficiency improvement of less than 5% with no performance loss. Look what a small block Chevy can do today, compared to 35 years ago. This also assumes manufacturing was held constant during this time, which is not the case. The batteries we manufacture now are rarely touched by human hands during the assembly process, which has dramatically decreased variability and dramatically increased consistency and quality.

I’m glad ransil went through the trouble to weigh and photograph his battery. I decided his effort was worth duplicating, so I weighed the 34/78 RedTop out of my pickup truck (it is date-stamped from early-2008).

34.78-300x197.jpg

As Paul mentioned, the 34/78 is the equivalent battery to the 800U, which stood for “Universal,” due to the dual post configuration. As Paul indicated, even digital bathroom scales aren’t exactly known for precision measurement. Mine suggested I lost two pounds, just by carrying the scale downstairs to my garage. I did weigh the RedTop several times and it weighed as little as 40.4 lbs. and as much as 40.8 lbs. My battery no longer has it's strap, but 40.6 lbs. seemed to be the most consistent weight and this battery has a specified minimum weight 38.8 lbs.

Even though this might seem to indicate that our current batteries weigh more than they previously did, I would suggest the variation and inconsistency in the scales would make any weight difference negligible.

Jim McIlvaine
eCare Manager, OPTIMA Batteries, Inc.
www.facebook.com/optimabatteries

73stallion

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Eugene, OR
i haven't completely read all the posts on here, but i'll throw in my 2¢. i've had 3 optima batteries, 2 red tops and a yellow top. the yellow was the worst battery i've ever had, it lost a full 2 volts sitting overnight. the first red top i had developed a weak cell 2 months after i got it, but still cranked my engine (slowly) for the next 3 years. i now have the exact same problem with my new red top i got a year ago. should have learned the first time, especially after everything i've read says newer optima's suck ass.

i should have gone with my gut instinct and got a different brand, but that would have meant spending another $50 on a stock battery tray since i have a tray designed for an optima. IMO i'm not happy with them, but i'm stuck with it....

BTW, RAY is our resident electrical expert, i'd listen to what he has to say. there must be a reason he doesn't sell your product anymore. in fact my local electrical expert has shyed away from optima too, they push odyssey (wish i had listened....).

Pokey71

Bronco Guru
OPTIMA SUCKS imho.

My story...
I had just rebuilt my motor and decided why cheap out and buy a basic battery. I purchased an Optima yellow top and ran it for a couple months. I never drained it down (no accs. yet) or abused it. The motor had a brand new alt and a new volt reg. All grounds were tight and no wires were frayed or split. I decided to Take the weekend off and head down to pismo beach to play on the dunes with "So-Cal Broncos" (its about 3 hours away.) As I was driving down hwy 101 I started to smell fireworks. I pulled over thinking i left a screwdriver or a rag under the hood and its touching something hot. NOPE! the optima was spitting out fluid from the top. Luckly I saw a "Kragen" and pulled into the parking lot. I let it cool down for a couple mins, took it out and asked to see if they can test it. Battery failed the test 2 times. (keep in mind its a couple months old.) So I bought a cheap one and threw it in the Bronco and asked them to see if the charging system was bad. It passed. Drove to the dunes and got some sand in places I never wanted it to be. Drove home (3 hours) with no problems.
I called optima and they said that they were shipping a crate to my home for inspection (all fees paid). Well....3 weeks later I called and asked the status. They said it isnt a manufacturing fault so it must have been my fault. BS!!!!!!! I also asked them to send it back to me so I could use it as a core fee (its mine and I have the reciept...well somewhere...but did spend my $ on it) They said I would have to pay shipping. Do you know how expensive it is to ship a battery? ALOT! They never offered anything to me.
End of story. I spent alot of money, got screwed, and am still running my $50 battery after 4-5 years (same alt, cables and same volt reg)

EDIT:

Yes, I am bitter about what happened. This was all when I was 18 and it was my first long drive with the Bronco. Nothing is worse then being stranded on a road that you have never been on and being so young.
To all the parents out there. How would you feel about Your kids going off to school hours away and something like this happens. Not a good feeling I bet.
I am just glad that I had enough knowledge on how to deal with the situation and I had a bunch of tools with me. Granted, I did panic for a while but I did know I needed to fix it.

End Vent.

Last edited:

bad 68

Loc.
Northest Washington
Hi bad 68, what is the voltage of your YellowTop when it goes into storage for 30-45 days? You also mentioned your batteries in the plural form, so would it be correct to assume you are running a dual setup? If that is the case, dual batteries in parallel configurations should always be the same type, size and age.

voltage of both yellow tops wired paralel is over 14 volts when charged before storage. The entire wiring harness is/was brand new. Discharge occurs with ground wires disconected.

OptimaJim

StnePny, I apologize for the delay in responding to your question. I didn’t want you to think I’d forgotten about you, but I wanted to get an accurate answer for you regarding your paste question and I had to contact our engineers. The information you received is not accurate. Paste is made to a specific set of standards all over the world, from high to low-humidity environments. Our Colorado plant had very high quality processes and standards, and produced excellent batteries. The facility in Monterrey, Mexico, however, was built with brand-new equipment and more automated processes for greater precision. More importantly, we still stand by the same quality standards that were in place in Colorado and have continued to improve them over time.

Jim McIlvaine

Greg_B

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Cohutta, GA
I have no knowledge of how batteries work or even care to know but here is some experience I had with my red top.

I bought this battery about 8 or 9 years ago. I know it was at least 8...

My bronco sometimes sets for a month or two without being started... this was never a problem until about two years ago. It got to where it would not hold a charge for even a couple of weeks. I could put it on the charger all night and the next day it would start but a week later it would be dead. I thought I was going to have to buy a new battery.

THEN... I read on the internet that you couldnt charge the optimas like a conventional battery. I have since seen this discussed on here...

I went and picked up one of those cheap little trickle chargers that doesnt automatically shut itself off when the battery is either charged or it thinks the battery has a bad cell.

I used it to charge the battery all night and now two years later the red top is working perfectly. It holds its charge for months now without going down.

So my uneducated theory is that I was never really fully charging the battery with my fancy high end charger but the little cheap no frills charger brought life back to it.

I do not pretend to understand why but I certianly cannot bash the Optima that has been in my EB for at least 8 years maybe even 10+ years.

Greg

NYLES

Bronco Guru
4 year old yellow top , no issues NONE and it ran almost a half day with a bad alt on the trail.........NO COMPLAINTS here!

backpain

Bronco Guru
All 5 most recent of my last 6-7 Red Tops have failed and have been replaced under warranty (1-2 of those old enough to be in the 50-75% coverage range, the rest at 100%).

2-4 of these were in factory truck dual battery setups their entire lives, 1-3 were in single battery vehicles. Only 1 of these was in the Bronco (in which a bad switch may have run it down several times)

All of these were red tops from either Autozone or Oreilly.

Have never used a Yellow or Blue in any vehicle/craft.

I began using Optimas a long time ago solely because they are sealed - in the vehicles where I cared about that.

I will be giving Odyssey/Die Hard a go next time around.

Sidenote: Most recent Delco factory GM vehicle battery died at 36k miles. The one before that on a new GM vehicle lasted 6-7 years. The last Autozone Gold died under full warranty also (but they lost the record of purchase in my account and only had the prior and subsequent - so they would not warranty it - PISSED). The most recent Autozone mid-grade is probably 4 yrs and going strong.

10 yrs ago my Red Tops seemed to last until after warranty was gone. Die Hard's did, too (but one leaked and ate a battery tray.).

- just my experience of late

StnePny

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Loc.
Santa Monica, Ca.
OptimaJim, there's no doubt that the old Colorado facility & the new Monterey, Mexico facility have high standards and quality control.

The real question is WHY has there been so many MORE failures since moving out of Colorado.

BTW, the information I recieved was from one of your distibutors.

At this time I don't know if Optima is the battery that I would use on my project build.

OptimaJim

Greg_B, under normal conditions, you can treat and charge an Optima just like any other lead-acid battery. When batteries in vehicles are allowed to sit for a month or two as you described, they slowly begin to lose their charge. Even relatively-simple vehicles (electrically-speaking) can slowly drain a battery. When batteries are allowed to sit in partially or fully-discharged states for extended periods of time, suflation will begin to diminish both performance and lifespan. It sounds like six years of your battery being subjected to that type of storage & sulfation was beginning to do just that.

It sounds like the new charger you purchased may have fully-charged your battery, whereas your previous charger may not have been getting the job done. Charging such a battery at a 10-amp rate for up to two hours can also help improve some of the performance issues associated with suflation. I’m glad to hear your Optima is still going strong for you now. I don’t know much longer your 8-10 year old Optima will last, but maintaining at least 12.4 volts in it whenever possible will give it the longest life possible.

backpain, I’m sorry to hear about all the different problems you’ve had with your batteries and I hope the bad switch issue in your Bronco has been resolved. I should mention that batteries run in parallel applications should be the same age, size and type. If one of those batteries does fail, both/all should be replaced. Replacing only one battery in a parallel application can lead to a shorter lifespan for both/all batteries going forward.

StnePny, that individual distributor’s personal experience does not reflect what we’re seeing company-wide, which has been a steady and continual decline in return rates. As I mentioned before, many of the “bad” batteries returned to us now are just deeply-discharged and work fine, when properly recharged. If you’d like to PM me with that distributor’s contact information, we can get in touch with him and look into his situation further. Thanks!

Jim McIlvaine

RRRAAAYYY2

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Brantford, Ontario
Well some things never seem to change. On a racing board I do tech on I had a poster post the following question/post:

"I took the wifes car out for a drive this morning and it started popping so I turned the laptop on and noticed it was getting very lean. My initial thought was it could be in the program or the fuel filter might have gotten plugged up and the engine wasn't getting enough fuel. Shortly after the car kept stalling so I tried to return home but didn't make it. The battery turned the engine over slower and slower then nothing??? I open the trunk to see if the battery connections were good but found the negative battery cable was melted off battery. What could have caused this? Why was the car getting lean? two different problems or was voltage causing both issues? I was thinking maybe there is a short somewhere."

So I went through the list of reasons of what could have caused this. One of which is that Opima used to have an issue with the inner plate connectors melting, that would show up as a melt battery post.

Turned out he was not the only person having this problem, and that they were using Optima's. I see in the above post your weights are over 40lbs now. I weighed a group in around 2005 and they ranged from 36.5 to 37.5 (off the top of my head). Sorry they went back to your master distributor long ago. So the extra 4 lbs is good to see, and shows you are headed in the right direction.

But the inner post/plate connection was what we had discovered to be the root cause of the failures back in 2004/2005. So If you have increased the thickness of the connectors, maybe the actually method of making the connection needs to be looked at.

Hope you dont think I am trashing your company. I would perfer there to be some competition in the market place. Odyssey has zero customer service and a high price tag, which leaves Deka on their own. And as much as I have never had an issue with their products, a company left alone can get tempted to cut corners.

Dave

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Well some things never seem to change. On a racing board I do tech on I had a poster post the following question/post:

"I took the wifes car out for a drive this morning and it started popping so I turned the laptop on and noticed it was getting very lean. My initial thought was it could be in the program or the fuel filter might have gotten plugged up and the engine wasn't getting enough fuel. Shortly after the car kept stalling so I tried to return home but didn't make it. The battery turned the engine over slower and slower then nothing??? I open the trunk to see if the battery connections were good but found the negative battery cable was melted off battery. What could have caused this? Why was the car getting lean? two different problems or was voltage causing both issues? I was thinking maybe there is a short somewhere."

So I went through the list of reasons of what could have caused this. One of which is that Opima used to have an issue with the inner plate connectors melting, that would show up as a melt battery post.

Turned out he was not the only person having this problem, and that they were using Optima's. I see in the above post your weights are over 40lbs now. I weighed a group in around 2005 and they ranged from 36.5 to 37.5 (off the top of my head). Sorry they went back to your master distributor long ago. So the extra 4 lbs is good to see, and shows you are headed in the right direction.

But the inner post/plate connection was what we had discovered to be the root cause of the failures back in 2004/2005. So If you have increased the thickness of the connectors, maybe the actually method of making the connection needs to be looked at.

Hope you dont think I am trashing your company. I would perfer there to be some competition in the market place. Odyssey has zero customer service and a high price tag, which leaves Deka on their own. And as much as I have never had an issue with their products, a company left alone can get tempted to cut corners.

I've never run across an internal connection problem but I have seen several failures from loose or corroded battery connections that caused a lot of heat. One was on an Audi. The crimp on the ground terminal was bad and had just enough resistance to keep the battery from charging but enough to run the car (sorta). The dealer replaced the battery and it was back in the shop a week later. They replaced the alternator. Back in the shop a week later. They never looked at the voltage at the post or noticed that it was getting hot. My point being that some of these problems might be a result of problems in the vehicles electrical system. I've also seen a lot of failures from problems in electrical systems that draw the battery down as the vehicle sits which is not good especially in freezing weather. Sometimes changing the battery involves cleaning the corroded connectors thus the old battery must have been bad. Not sticking up for Optima but I wonder how many of the problems are not really the fault of the battery.

RRRAAAYYY2

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Brantford, Ontario
I've never run across an internal connection problem but I have seen several failures from loose or corroded battery connections that caused a lot of heat. One was on an Audi. The crimp on the ground terminal was bad and had just enough resistance to keep the battery from charging but enough to run the car (sorta). The dealer replaced the battery and it was back in the shop a week later. They replaced the alternator. Back in the shop a week later. They never looked at the voltage at the post or noticed that it was getting hot. My point being that some of these problems might be a result of problems in the vehicles electrical system. I've also seen a lot of failures from problems in electrical systems that draw the battery down as the vehicle sits which is not good especially in freezing weather. Sometimes changing the battery involves cleaning the corroded connectors thus the old battery must have been bad. Not sticking up for Optima but I wonder how many of the problems are not really the fault of the battery.

For sure bad wiring could cause the problem. It was the first thing we would look for, as it is the most logical cause. We specialize in finding root causes for large companies.
I have 100's and 100's of stories like your Audi experience. It is only going to get worse as those capable of actual diagnostic trouble shooting, are getting few and far between.

Dave

Contributor
Bronco Guru
For sure bad wiring could cause the problem. It was the first thing we would look for, as it is the most logical cause. We specialize in finding root causes for large companies.
I have 100's and 100's of stories like your Audi experience. It is only going to get worse as those capable of actual diagnostic trouble shooting, are getting few and far between.

Boy I hear that! Makes for some really sweet deals on vehicles the "experts" can't figure out. ;) Seems like I spent way too much of my engineering career Unf###ing others f### ups.

MarsChariot

Contributor
Planetary Offroader
Loc.
Albuquerque, New Mexico
O.K., I have been holding off, but here is my one statement as an apocryphal Odyssey versus Optima story in bullets, for what it is worth:

• had an original Optima for 6 years
• got another that lasted two years
• got an Odyseey 1500 DT, used it for two years
• garage fire and Odyssey got hot and smoked
• Odyssey sat on rebuilt garage floor for two years without re-charge
• Odyssey cranked two cars and did garage 12 volt garage source duty for another year
• measured voltage after three years and Odyssey was at 12.5 volts
• super mega, humongoid Motorcraft battery in ’76 Bronco started getting wimpy
• cleaned the soot and melted plastic off the Odyssey and installed it in said Bronco
• Odyssey now very happy and starting Bronco better than super humongoid Motocraft .
• will buy another Odyssey when the ’71 is ready

End of "opinion."

KyleQ

Bronco Guru
I purchased a blem red top from a friend for around half the price of retail. It's been on Bronco duty and has been a very reliable battery for a complete season. I've killed it on the trail a few times when my 1G was giving up the ghost, but when I had carb issues and was starting non stop on the trail it never let me down.

66horse

Bronco Guru
I have had 4 red tops (3 different cars) go bad in the last year. Super frustrating.

iwlbcnu

Bronco Guru
Went and check the stang last night, New yellow 2 yrs ago, been fine, drove car last month, checked voltage last night 3.7. How can all of a sudden it go dead? "IF" I had a drain, how come it lasted 2 yrs first? I give up.

70 sport WA

Contributor
I have a yellow top in my 75 F250. One day I came out of work and it sounded like a party was going on in the parking lot....loud music. Well, got closer to my car and it was coming from my truck.

Somehow I had pulled the key out of the ignition before the position hit "off" and so while the engine wasn't running there was still power to the radio. It had been blasting--don't know how I walked away from it without hearing it--for many hours. Anyway, truck started right up and no problems.

Don't know how much draw a CD player has on a battery, but I was impressed!

73azbronco

Contributor
Bronco Guru
I had one Redtop die last year and it lasted just under two years in a daily driver bone stock 2001 Toyota Tacoma, no winch, no offroading, city driving.

I'm never buying another Optima, Optimajim, do you hear that?

I now buy whatever off the shelf at Checker which has a five year guarantee, at least I get a new batt if it fails, no questions asked.