• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Optional parking brake installs

IFLYHOOKS

Loc.
Clarksville
Has anyone installed an F150 Pbrake on a Bronco or used a non-electric line lock in lieu of the stock Pbrake? I know the manufacturer says not to use the line lock as a Pbrake, but interestingly enough, my '11 Subaru uses an electric line lock for it's Pbrake.

zeeman1

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Seattle
If it's a line lock, it's not legal to be used for a e-brake. The secondary brake system has to be mechanical so it will still work if you lose your fluid. I'm not sure how the new Subaru one is setup. The systems have to be separate, and a line-lock uses the same brake lines as the pedal does.

fungus

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Kaneohe Bay, Oahu
Tom Wood's puts out a disc brake kit for the back of the xfer case. I might go this route on the stretch instead of tracking down cables that'll fit.

Explorer

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Raphine, Virginia
Whatever you do, don't put one of the manual pull knob line locks on. It will stick and lock up on you in the worst possible place and you have to crack the bleeder to release it. It's not if it will, it's certain, just a matter of time. Electric line locks are only to be used about a minute at a time. Illegal part already mentioned.

broncomikem

Depending on your use for the Bronco the t-case brake is no good if you brake a drive shaft or even a rear axle. Just food for thought.

Broncobowsher

Total hack
Sorry, but your Subaru isn't a line lock park brake. It is an eletric actuated park brake. I have seen several other cars that are the same way. Started about 10 years ago on some German luxery car stuff.

A T-case park brake is fine. Biggest issue is lack of clearance between the yoke and the floor. Very limited in diameter. There are a lot of larger trucks that use a rear of transmission driveshaft park brake.

So you go wheeling and break something in the rear axle or the driveshaft, guess what, the park brake will still work. Put it in 4WD and it will lock the front axle. Considering that you were probably in 4WD when you broke the parts anyway, no big deal.

TOFIC

Bronco Wrencher and Fixer
Loc.
Redcliff Alberta
Tom Wood's puts out a disc brake kit for the back of the xfer case. I might go this route on the stretch instead of tracking down cables that'll fit.

If he does, I for one, would like to see it.
Got a website address??
TOFIC

cvbfireman

my roll cage bends up into the floor board where the parking brake would be.... has anyone used a hand brake like toyotas pull? not really sure what i should be looking for to get it hooked up

Broncobowsher

Total hack
my roll cage bends up into the floor board where the parking brake would be.... has anyone used a hand brake like toyotas pull? not really sure what i should be looking for to get it hooked up

The easy fix for that is to remove the bolt holding the park brake to the dash, swing it over a little, drill a new hole, but the bolt in the new hole. fixed.

HGM

Loc.
Senoia, Ga.
I'm planning to use a hand brake, out of a Windstar, Aerostar or Mustang.. Sits between the seats and out of the way..

BroncoWanted

Loc.
North Mississippi
Hand e-brake

Try a search for mustang e-brake. We had a thread on it a few days ago. It will work and you can stay with ford parts.

I have the same roll cage issue and this mustang e-brake is what I am planning to use.