• Just a reminder that you won't be able to start new posts or reply to existings posts in the Archive forum.

This is where all the old posts go so they can still be used for reference and searched.
  • Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Outside door handle push button problem

Jfromtn

Loc.
Leoma, TN
My passenger side door handle opens the door by pushing the button once then again and it opens easy. Is this correct mechanically?
Drivers side outside door seems to have something wrong . You push the button then have to pull hard to open. Could this be a latch problem?

half cab

Contributor
Guru Bronco
Could just need a good oil/grease'n on that dr.side along with a good clean up on the stricker post

half cab

Contributor
Guru Bronco
Been awhile sence I was inside the doors,but yea I believe there is a small trap like spring that keeps the button pushed back when the rod is released that unlatches the lock at the stricker,but if it were broke the button would not come back out at all.

PS take your door panel off and clean all that up good in there if you haven't already and the latch where it catches the stricker.

Say you haven't put any new rubber weather seals on the doors recently have ya?

OP
OP
Jfromtn

Jfromtn

Loc.
Leoma, TN
No new seals. I will try what you said this weekend. Also is it correct for 2 pushes ofthe button to open or only one

blubuckaroo

Grease Monkey
Loc.
Ridgefield WA
That sticky push button has been an issue with mine since the car was new. Lube the button from inside or out at least every other year with WD-40.

Greg_B

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Cohutta, GA
I just had mine all apart... it is pretty fresh in my head. It only takes one push to open. The whole deal is pretty simple but basically there is a little rod that is connected to the door handle that lifts up only a small amount to unlatch the door. There are some small plastic bushings that can wear out and cause problems as well.

you can get new door handles for like 39.00 a set... I suggest you if you order them go ahead and order the plastic clips that hold the rods.

The rods is also threaded on one end so it can be adjusted to work properly.

You can remove the door panel and see all this pretty easily. Lube everything if you open it up and you should be able to get it to open easily.

Greg

01JLH

Just a note about new door handles. The hinged bracket that the button pushes to lift the lever is made to be universal and used on either door handle. The original ones are side specific. Things work better if you can use the ones off your old door handles or you have to grind some off of the side that goes up in the corner where the door seams meet. If you use the new ones without altering them there seems to be interference with installing the handle and binding up in there where the plate is trying to pivot up and lift the lever.

snipi

Loc.
Mesa
lots of wd-40, deffinately take off the inner door pannel and just start spraying. i sprayed through the handle and the lock mechanism. it works very well now. if you have nice paint take some precaution.

BronCowie

Contributor
Old Timer
Loc.
Vancouver, WA
...The rods is also threaded on one end so it can be adjusted to work properly...

This will probably take care of your DS door. I had that problem and took a little 40-year slack out of the adjustment; has worked like new ever since.

Greg_B

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Cohutta, GA
Just a note about new door handles. The hinged bracket that the button pushes to lift the lever is made to be universal and used on either door handle. The original ones are side specific. Things work better if you can use the ones off your old door handles or you have to grind some off of the side that goes up in the corner where the door seams meet. If you use the new ones without altering them there seems to be interference with installing the handle and binding up in there where the plate is trying to pivot up and lift the lever.

I had read this same thing from several people but mine didnt seem to have issues in that area. I didnt really care for the way the button "wiggled" around but after inspecting the design with the OEM handles I couldnt find any way to improve it. For some reason the new button/ plunger is designed differently which allows more "slop" in the button. The only solution I could come up with was use the old button but it looked like crap so I decided to just get used to the "wiggling" button.

Greg

kb5ynf

My driver side was doing the push once, push twice, open on the second press thing and I soaked it in WD-40 from the outside, as well as the striking mechanism and it usually works on the first push now.

Stroppe-Envy-77

Bronco Guru
I had a similar problem with my driver's door. Turns out it was the nylon/plastic clip that links the push button to the rod. They get weak and deformed over time.

The Bronco vendors sell them, but if you're in a hurry, most larger auto parts stores that carry the Dorman "Help" line of carded odds and ends will also have them. I ended up buying an assortment pack, and I think it was the yellow one that fit.

Tasty Geezer

I packed the push buttons at the spring on my new door handles from toms with grease and the "wiggle" dramatically decreased. Adjusting the threaded rod was necessary with the new handle design as well. Now one little push and my doors open.

X2 on extra clips. Mine that came with the kit didn't work right

OP
OP
Jfromtn

Jfromtn

Loc.
Leoma, TN
Update. I pulled the door panels off and soaked all door components in wd40.driver side was the one that I had to pull and tug on now it opens easy with one push. Passenger side was the better of the two. Now it opens with one kind of hard push.no more 2 pushes but still would like the passenger a little easier. How to you adjust that rod? Anyways Im happy about the opening now. I won't look silly pulling and tugging anymore. Thanks

Fireball05

Bronco Guru
Greg, how do you adjust the threaded rod? I just took my door panels apart and am trying to figure it out. The inside latch works perfectly everytime. The outside button does not push the lever far enough. The slack needs to be taken out of that threaded rod.

Thanks for your help!

you can get new door handles for like 39.00 a set... I suggest you if you order them go ahead and order the plastic clips that hold the rods.

The rods is also threaded on one end so it can be adjusted to work properly.

You can remove the door panel and see all this pretty easily. Lube everything if you open it up and you should be able to get it to open easily.

Greg

Fireball05

Bronco Guru
Here is a photo of the inside of the passenger door:

Bonus points for anyone that answers quickly. Neither of my doors work from the outside, and it's pretty embarrassing crawling in through the back!

Not to mention my wife would be slightly more impressed with my recent purchase if it had functioning door handles!