• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Painless 23 circuit engine harness?

Bronco69Sport

Loc.
Upper MI
I am in the process of wiring my 75, and 90% of the painless kit seems to be connected with proper connectors, however, the middle set (Engine Compt) does not have any termination points on it what so ever... brain box, etc. And the wires are not the same color as factory. Any ideas, or why it isnt pre terminated.

Crewwzin

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Freeport, Fl
Its not terminated because there are so many different scenarios out there for that particular part of the harness that it would be impossible to get it right for everybody out there.

OP
OP
Bronco69Sport

Bronco69Sport

Loc.
Upper MI
I just thought they would have been pre terminated for the stock 302/289, and then if someone put a different engine in they would cut and splice theirs to fit. Now everyone has to do it. Not to mention the fact that I have to reuse my old plugs... I love the kit, don't get me wrong, its the best I have seen but to have everything new except the engine compt plugs doesn't make sense to me. now where is the weak point in a brand new harness... those wires/old plugs.

DirtDonk

Contributor
Bronco Guru
I would think you'd put new on there anyway, instead of using old. Which ones are you refering to specifically whe you say "old"?

Is this the new harnes that Eric was working on? If so, I think the reason they didn't set it up for the "stock" Bronco and let those modifiers out there worry about changing things, was that, through the feedback they got here, practically everyone they talked to had changed one thing or another. Making the stock configuration in the minority. Not only that, but it was made to accommodate every year Bronco and even Ford changed the routing over the years, so stock is still multiple configurations. Painless didn't want to make separate harnesses or have them work for only a few model years.

Back to yours, you can get new headlight plugs, new temp/press sender plugs, alternator and regulator plugs, new ignition coil and even Duraspark plugs, at the local auto parts stores. Weather-Paks complete the rest. About the only thing you aren't likely to find without a trip to the boneyard are the stock horn relay 3-prong connector (later models only) and the windshield washer pump plug.
Are those the kinds of things you were talking about? Or something else?

Paul

OP
OP
Bronco69Sport

Bronco69Sport

Loc.
Upper MI
Its pretty much the duraspark, and things of that nature. I will end up buying new plugs for these things. No big deal, just stressed me out the other nigh when I was trying to do that area of the harness, and couldn't understand why it would be that way.
Thanks for letting me know.

eric0o1

I'm sorry you're a little disappointed, but maybe shedding some light on why things are done the way they are can help.

Like whats already been mentioned, there are so many variables to engines, ignition systems, and charging systems used, the only way to accommodate them all is to provide enough length to the wires to allow the installer to route the wires to any where in the engine compartment they desire and cut to length.

There would have been a lot of extra cost to the harness to add those connectors in and only a small percentage of installs would actually require them. Since we do offer a Duraspark harness (part #30812), I figured that leaving the connectors off the harness would make the guys running some other ignition system happy and not making them pay $30-$50 for materials & labor for something they wouldn't be using. Providing only wires and diagrams for those with duraspark was really the only logical way to make everyone happy. The harness is already the most expensive on the market and that is with me trying to keep costs as low as possible. With that said, I hate that someone would have to spent more money and buy a separate part to have everything new, but it is one of those situations when there really wasn't any way around it. I could have made a separate harness for the later years with the duraspark added, but the sales would be so low that it wouldn't be something any of our distributors would keep on their self and they would always be on back order.

The only other connections I can think off the top of my head that aren't terminated on the engine are the alternator wires (which ring terminals and rubber boot are provided for), the temp & oil pressure sending units (ring terminals and a 10-32 nuts that are provided should take care of those connections), and coil connections (push on terminals are provided). New terminals have been provided for almost everything. The only thing you should have to splice to would be the Duraspark connections.

Last edited:
OP
OP
Bronco69Sport

Bronco69Sport

Loc.
Upper MI
I appreciate the response eric, I already got the part. I wasn't saying anything bad about the harness, just needed a little understanding (which I got) I am happy with the harness, and cant wait to get it on the road.

DirtDonk

Contributor
Bronco Guru
No big deal, just stressed me out the other night when I was trying to do that area of the harness...

Stress? While doing an entire re-wire on a 40 year old vehicle? By yourself?
Never heard of such a thing! ;D

Paul

OP
OP
Bronco69Sport

Bronco69Sport

Loc.
Upper MI
I know, StReSs!!! Along with linking the 60's, and tons of other things I need done. D-day is the 18th of May, and I need to do LOTSSSSSS