• Just a reminder that you won't be able to start new posts or reply to existings posts in the Archive forum.

This is where all the old posts go so they can still be used for reference and searched.
  • Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Painless, Centech, or Ron Francis wiring?

Tapp Daddy

Loc.
Bonney Lake, WA
I need to redo the wiring and I need it bad. There are SO many things on the wish list (PS, PB, bumpers, etc.), but I think since the wiring is such a rat's nest, it would be a good place to start. I'm gonna use custom guages (probably Auto Meter or similiar) for the speedo, fuel, tach, water, and oil, but I'll keep the stock switches - lights, ignition, etc. Any suggestions, problems, experiences would be greatly appreciated.

SteveL

Huge chevy guy
Loc.
Hawthorne ca
I have the centech kit in both broncos. I'm happy with it. It goes in pretty easy. I know ron francis stuff is good. If they were out when I wired mine I probably would've went that way. I didn't like the older painless stuff, but the new kit is more bronco specific and should be much better.

eb66to77

Bronc'Ownly
Loc.
NOVA
I agree with you on the old painless kit. It came with a fuse panel that I couldn't even fit in the glove box. The new one is smaller though.

I ahve a Centech in mine. Loved it and was simple to put in. There are a few points of confusion as I remember but it was simple to resolve.

joser

Loc.
Chesterfield, MI
I did the new Painless this Summer and have had not one single issue. Everything worked the first time. I have never wired anything more complicated than a pair of KCs or a stereo before and had no problems understanding the instructions.

The kit is killer quality, ann wires are clearly marked, and have plenty of length. I upgraded the headlight harness while I was at it.

My recommendation for re-wiring:
1 - Read the directions a few times before you begin.
2 - Lay out the wires and understand the sections before taking it to the Bronco.
3 - Solder and shrink tube all connections you make.
4 - Buy plenty of wire loom and wire ties.
5 - Spend plenty of time running the wire and attaching it to the truck.
6 - Add an aux fuse block for all add ons in the future, Easy and ensures you never hack into the new wires.

It is so nice not worrying about the 35+ year old wiring and the problems that came with it. Peace of mind is awesome!!!!!!!!

Good luck!

Last edited:

swa0330

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Portland,OR
I agree. I was riding this fence and went with the Painless. The reason is that the Painless isn't all shrunk wrap in wire loom. Because I have a lot of additional wiring going into my project through lights, etc... I didn;t want to have to cut the loom open to bundle it with the other wire. The other thing is that the Painless uses higher quality wire plus it has all new switches.

67bondobronc

I am in the middle of doing a Painless on mine..........I should finish up tomorrow, hopefully. It has been straightforward. My dimmer switch was busted when I pulled it out of the box and I called Painless and they sent me a new one free of any charge immediately. So far, I am very impressed.

S/C-HD2002

Loc.
CO
I would also say go with the painless harness. It is bullet proof. Excellet quality wires and connectors.

The fuse block is built to be water proof. I would say this is a large advantage over the centech which just has an exposed printed circuit board for the fuse block. The painless also comes with all new ford style switches.

I don't think you could go wrong with either the centech or painless, but I am partial to the painless.

HTH

ransil

Bronco Guru
joser said:
I did the new Painless this Summer and have had not one single issue. Everything worked the first time. I have never wired anything more complicated than a pair of KCs or a stereo before and had no problems understanding the instructions.

The kit is killer quality, ann wires are clearly marked, and have plenty of length. I upgraded the headlight harness while I was at it.

My recommendation for re-wiring:
1 - Read the directions a few times before you begin.
2 - Lay out the wires and understand the sections before taking it to the Bronco.
3 - Solder and shrink tube all connections you make.
4 - Buy plenty of wire loom and wire ties.
5 - Spend plenty of time running the wire and attaching it to the truck.
6 - Add an aux fuse block for all add ons in the future, Easy and ensures you never hack into the new wires.

It is so nice not worrying about the 35+ year old wiring and the problems that came with it. Peace of mind is awesome!!!!!!!!

Good luck!

#6 is the reason to go with the Ron Francis harness. Lot of room for add on crap.

slyjki

Loc.
okc ok
i have no exp with the ronfroncis but i have a centech full harness on my 75 and a painless fuel injection harness on it also. (for a 93 5.0) No problems with either of them. The only thing i like better is the centech is labeled on the wire that stays forever where the painless just had tags on it that fell off over time.

swa0330

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Portland,OR
I think that you may have that reversed. I have the Painless and the wire has the stuff printed on it. Not starting anything, just pointing out how mine is. ;D

slyjki

Loc.
okc ok
mayby they changed it im not sure but mine is like that.
ine centech is about 6 years old and the painless is about 3.

malcolmzilla

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Calgary, AB, Canada
I haven't installed my new painless yet, but I am using the painless manual to fit the old harness back up to get it running, the instructions and diagrams and x-references are great, all new switches too is nice. Everything in the kit appears top quality so far.

A few other notes:

It also appears that the new painless locates the fuse block on the firewall up above and to the right of the gas pedal.

It also doesn't use the hole in the firewall on the pass side, uses the 66-68 fuse block hole instead.

OP
OP
Tapp Daddy

Tapp Daddy

Loc.
Bonney Lake, WA
Holy crap! I hate it when someone starts a thread that has been beaten to death! Oh wait, that was me. Thanks for the link. It looks like Centech is not a bad way to go. Price is always a consideration, but from what it sounds like, a lot of people have used it without any issues. There are some extra circuits for lights, CB, stereo, etc. aren't there?

73stallion

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Eugene, OR
i was scared to death of wiring before i installed a centech about a year ago. now i've done 2 centechs, and i have 2 more to do this winter. easy as pie!

i vote for centech (again ;D ).

SeaBiscuit68

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Tacoma Wa
Well here's my 2 pennies: Go with a Ron Francis kit. Use original Bronco switches. Replacement switches I've seen I didn't like. Use weather-pack connectors. Build the harness in independent sections. And above all have fun. I like wiring Broncos, you want a hand?

GRN_MEANIE

I Went W/ The Centech. My Only Complaint Was The Directions Were Horrible. I Was Expecting To Get A Schematic W/ The Harness. Also The Switches That Were New Have No Part# On Them So If They Go Bad You'll Be Hanging Out At The Parts Store Trying To Match It Up. The Other Thing I Didn't Like Was The Amount Of Stuff That Wasn't Supplied I.e. Light Sockets. I Was Trying To Do It On The Cheap So I Guess I Got What I Paid For. MY ONLY ADVISE WOULD BE TO TAKE THE DASH OUT AND DO IT RIGHT. I WAS IN A HURRY, AND WILL BE GOING THROUGH IT THIS SUMMER PROBABLY.

JaxLax

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Jacksonville, FL
i've done the centech before.
this time i am going to do a Ron Francis harness.
I like the idea of being able to route the wires as i want them, rather than having to cut into the looms of the centech harness.
if i was doing a restore, or not adding a lot of custom parts, then i would go with centech again.
but i'm adding lights, high power stereo, etc etc etc and i don't want to splice into the harness or add a second fuse panel (which i have done before).

OP
OP
Tapp Daddy

Tapp Daddy

Loc.
Bonney Lake, WA
I like wiring Broncos, you want a hand?[/QUOTE]

I'll definetely need a hand, or two. (Gotta hold a beer in one, don't ya?). Hopefully after the holidays, I can get a temporary shelter on the side of the house for body parts. I'd like to get 'er down to the frame so I can clean some stuff up. Lookin like RF isn't a bad way to go.