• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Paint prep Q's

broncow72

Village Idiot
Loc.
Spring,TX.
Any of you paint guys willing to lay out, in step form, the proper tools, grits and process to prep a vehicle for paint?
And include preferred primers/build up primers, sprayers for said primers.

Seems my body guy is loosing his arse in a new venture and hasn't the time to reciprocate the favor I did by wiring his house. Not to mention dropping the ball and making me look like an arse on Coachbarnes' truck.

Any ways... back to the ranch... I have started stripping one rear quarter and want to do one section at a time. But need some input.

bigjhoov

nobody
LOL! You wouldn't believe what we've been through trying to get Scott's finished, some of the stuff he did is crazy.

OP
OP
broncow72

broncow72

Village Idiot
Loc.
Spring,TX.
I can only imagine. I know he did some top notch stuff but then goober smooched something else. He's totally left me in the learch and now I seem to be trying to figure out what the hell I'm doing.
One thing that makes me happy is his need for cash... Gots me another AR pretty cheap (un-numbered.... sshhh)

FerrumCampitor

Loc.
Hutchinson, MN
1 Body work
2 Primer
3 Sand
4 Repeat 1-3
5 Repeat 1-3
6 Repeat 1-3
7 Repeat 2-3
8 Repeat 2-3
9 Repeat 2-3
10 Paint

Yep...that about covers it. ;D

No seriously though, I'm just bumping this up cause I need to know too. It has been almost 20 years since I painted a truck. I've slept since then...

OP
OP
broncow72

broncow72

Village Idiot
Loc.
Spring,TX.
Tha'ts what I'm lookin' for.

I have taken the rear quarter down to the metal, so now I sould scuff w/ 180, Use lacquer thinner and a rag to clean, Shoot with primer? I have an air file, when should I stop using that and switch to manual sanding?

Thanks for the input.

allenfahey

Bronco Guru
The metal needs finished in 180 with a da and then your ready for primer. The laquer thinner is to help clean off the paint stripper. It cleans the surface real good so the chemical isn't still on there when you apply the primer. Use the air file to get the shape close then when you use the top coat you can use a hand block.

Forgot to ad in the write up. Whenever you get ready to shoot paint you need to use 2 rags. One with prep solvent (wax/grease remover) and the other to dry it. Then you use a tack rag to remove any remaining dirt, lint, or hair. Then ready for paint.

FerrumCampitor

Loc.
Hutchinson, MN
Yeah stop using the air tools after you're done with the shaping (bondo/filler/etc.). The air tools will sand right through a thin primer coat before you realize whats going on.

Get a nice long sanding block, a smaller one, and do not use either of them on curves or creases. Although they do make blocks that are flexible that work good for easy curves (bedrail for example). We both need to get some of those. :)