• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Painting FORD Emblem on Grill

bronco t

Contributor
Loc.
San Diego CA
Does anyone have any suggestions on how to touch up the FORD emblem on the front grill? I am paint challenged and the F on my grill emblem is missing the red. The ORD is in good shape. Is it time to breakout my wife's finger nail paint?

Viperwolf1

Contributor
electron whisperer
That's what I did after the inserts fell out. Actually I think I used model paint.

Attachments

• Bronco 337.jpg
    Bronco 337.jpg
    111.6 KB · Views: 381

badmuttstang

redneck grease monkey
Go with model paint like viperwolf1 said or use touch up paint you will be a lot happier.

allenfahey

Bronco Guru
I think Broncitis sells the stickers to insert in there. I taped them up and painted with automotive paint. It was easy, but that's what I do for living.

daddycreswell

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Loc.
Lebanon, TN
Go to you local Hobby Lobby and pick up a model car paint pen. About 5.00 for one, and if you can scribble then you can paint it. I use them all time for small painting detail.

No Hay

Bronco Guru
I used finger nail polish. It was $1.99 and looks fine. It even comes with a brush!

Attachments

• letters.jpg
    letters.jpg
    91.7 KB · Views: 315

blubuckaroo

Grease Monkey
Loc.
Ridgefield WA
I replaced my chrome front letters because the red inserts popped out. The new ones looked like crap after a couple of years. I cleaned and painted the originals, and they look better.
I use Duplicolor GM Torch Red Scratch Fix.
Even if you're a little sloppy, it removes easily from the chrome.

welndmn

Bronco Guru
I used a clear acrylic gel I got a tap plastics then dyed it.
It let me level out the letters then pour the gel in, made them fill up level and look great.

TGL

Welndmn,

Do you have any pictures of what you did? I have the typical problem of the resin falling out (only one so far in 40 years) My letters are the original FORD with the red paint below the clear resin. I'm toying the idea of painting with a red metallic paint and as you did leveling the letter and pouring in the clear resin. I wasn't sure if after it need to be sanding and buffed to look like the originals.

If any of you other guys have tried to do this process please let me know your results!

Post pics if you can

Thanks
Tom

OP
OP
bronco t

bronco t

Contributor
Loc.
San Diego CA
So many answers for such a small question... I am always impressed with this forum.

i guess I need to go shopping for finger nail paint. My wife only had orange and black to pick from. I can see it now... Can you direct me to the finger nail paint isle at CVS. My answer will be... my name isn't Bruce and I don't have a gold medal.

OP
OP
bronco t

bronco t

Contributor
Loc.
San Diego CA
I replaced my chrome front letters because the red inserts popped out. The new ones looked like crap after a couple of years. I cleaned and painted the originals, and they look better.
I use Duplicolor GM Torch Red Scratch Fix.
Even if you're a little sloppy, it removes easily from the chrome.

As I mentioned before... I am paint challenged, so where does one get Duplicolor paint at? NAPA?

OP
OP
bronco t

bronco t

Contributor
Loc.
San Diego CA
Go with model paint like viperwolf1 said or use touch up paint you will be a lot happier.

All of my kids are grown and long gone, but I still remember painting those models when I was a kid, or was it the model glue I remember. Humm, off to the model store as it won't be as embarising as the nail paint store. Thank you.

Jfromtn

Loc.
Leoma, TN
I don't believe my grill has any holes for letters.it has the stamped ford in the metal.that what it looks like to me anyways.

popedaddy

Loc.
Central Mississippi
I stuck the posts on the back of each letter into a cardboard box and painted them laying flat. I used model paint as well with a real fine brush. worked well.

actually I pushed that project onto the ol lady.

AxlesUp

Loc.
Collierville TN
It really looks like it is part of the grill, but if you look behind it you'll see the little studs. I can see mine but I'm leary of trying to remove them :) something about nothing else just coming loose like it should LoL

I was thinking about spraying mine with the ford blue tractor paint from TSC.

badmuttstang

redneck grease monkey
I think I bought it at AutoZone. It's one of those tubes of touch-up paint.

You can get it at any auto parts store that sells duplicolor. The touch up pens have a small tip on one side and a brush on the other at least some do I think duplicolor does as well. I like to use either model paint or a spray paint and paint all of them at the same time that way you know they will all match because even if you get the right shade of paint the original will be faded and a different color.

Oh and bronco t my memories of putting models together and model glue are still a little fuzzy.;D

OP
OP
bronco t

bronco t

Contributor
Loc.
San Diego CA
All inspired after reading all of these comments... I went out to pull an emblem letter off of the grill to take it to the paint store and discovered that the remaining red inserts were hanging there by a thread. In fact they almost fell out on their own, so I pulled the inserts off the remaining "ORD" letters, and I now have a clean slate to paint the emblems red again!

PM me if anyone wants the old "ORD" inserts.