• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Parasitic drain!

jalapeño

Loc.
Philly 'burbs, PA
I have a drain on the battery. I've pulled every fuse in the glovebox & still have it. I then pulled the maxi-fuse & Im fine. If its something prior to the maxi fuse..... what would it be?

ransil

Bronco Guru
disconnect the big wire off the alternator..alternator could be bad.

Bundy

Bronco Guru
I had drain and it turned out my belt was loose and the ALT wasn't properly recharging the battery... just a thought.

OP
OP
jalapeño

jalapeño

Loc.
Philly 'burbs, PA
Nope. I did notice the draw which is 12.3 drops to 8.3 when I disconnect the voltage regulator. 8.3 is still way too much though & will still drain.

Viperwolf1

Contributor
electron whisperer
12.3 or 8.3 what? Amps, milliamps?

Ignition switch and headlight switch aren't fused either.

HGM

Loc.
Senoia, Ga.
Wacha workin on????

Its going to be one of those, unplug every connector you can find, type searches. Letting us know what youre working on (modifications, EFI, Carb, etc...) will make a difference in helping suggest things..

Bronc-n-Bird

Geat troubleshooting method I found on the forum a while back: "The only other thing you can do is put a test light between the negative cable and negative post if it lights up you have a battery drain just start pulling fuses until the light goes out that will tel yu which circuit has the drain keep in mind most stereos and EFI systems will have backup power when the the key is off to keep there memory."

Here's the link:

http://classicbroncos.com/forums/showthread.php?t=66318&highlight=battery+drain

worked like a charm - for me it was the stereo.

Good luck!

Viperwolf1

Contributor
electron whisperer
Amps. I disconnected both of them as well. I don't have a clue what could be drawing that much

4 amps from the voltage reg is excessive. It shouldn't have any drain with the key off. I would really look hard at the alternator.

OP
OP
jalapeño

jalapeño

Loc.
Philly 'burbs, PA
No modifications..... unless you count trying to get your Bronco running a modification ;) It was recently re-wired.

I disconnected everything I can think of. The only thing that drops the drawl is pulling the maxi-fuse. Without replacing the alternator, is there another way to look at at closer?

Viperwolf1

Contributor
electron whisperer
Without replacing the alternator, is there another way to look at at closer?

Did you disconnect the 10 ga charge wire? It's odd to have 12 amps of drain and even odder to have 4 of them from the regulator. I suspect they're related.