• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Parasitic Drain

bgood96861

Loc.
Aurora, Colorado
I have parasitic drain on my battery... Stock 3 wire alternator w/ external voltage regulator.

I came out one day and the battery was dead. Tried to recharge the battery and it would not take a charge. I replaced the battery. With the new battery installed I tested the alternator and it failed the test, voltage too low.

I took the alternator to parts store had it tested and it failed. I replaced the alternator and the external voltage regulator. The next morning the battery was dead again... Recharged battery and left it disconnected overnight. The battery held the charge.

Reconnected the battery. Left the vehicle off and checked for draw, found a 5 amp draw. Disconnected the battery line to alternator, draw disappeared to 0 amps. Took alternator back, replaced again, now the draw is down to 2 amps. I assume the diodes are bad.. Do I keep getting bad alternators or am I missing something?

ET

Contributor
Bronco Guru
I'm assuming you tested all the electrical items to get where you are now. I would do the basic electrical things make sure the wiring/connectors are good and clean. Voltage regulator has good ground. Fuse panel? Ignition switch good? Do you have any aftermarket part what might cause a draw? Just some things I would do to start eliminating possible cause.

Eugene

OP
OP
B

bgood96861

Loc.
Aurora, Colorado
Update

The Bronco is a 1974, stock 3 wire setup. The vehicle is off and then I disconnected the positive terminal. I set the meter to amps (10A) and placed the red probe on the positive terminal of the battery and the negative probe on the + battery cable.

I checked the wiring and it looks in good condition. But I think the wires might be misrouted....

The Field wire goes to F terminal on voltage regulator
the yellow wire goes to S terminal on voltage regulator (however the yellow is 12v constant, i think that is wrong, the S is supposed to be 12 v run, right?)
The red battery wire from the alternator goes to the A terminal (that doesn't seem right)

I wire is connected and I don't know where that goes yet. I think the voltage regulator might be closed and allowing the drain. That is the direction that I am headed. Back to the wiring diagrams! Any ideas...

DirtDonk

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Yep, you're right on target. The alternator's are causing the drain because the way it's wired, the regulator is turned on all the time.

What wiring harness? Still stock? Sounds like an aftermarket, but either way, the EB only uses the first three connectors on the regulator.
As you thought, the F goes straight to the F (or FLD) on the alternator.
The S is only on in RUN, and comes straight from the ignition switch. Factory color is Green w/red, but lots of aftermarket harnesses use just Green.
The A terminal is constant battery power, is Yellow from the factory, and is tied in near the starter relay/solenoid.
Sounds like yours is all there, but simply connected to the wrong wires on the regulator.

I think the original-use definitions for the letters on the regulator are: F = Field, S = Stator, A = Armature and I = Indicator (or Ignition), for when hooked up as originally designed on a car with an indicator lamp in the dash.
For Ford cars and trucks with ammeters though, the wire orientation is changed.

To keep it straight in my mind, I always thought of them as:
F = Field
S = "Switched"
A = "Always" (as in, always-on).

That way I could remember which was which, before I had them totally memorized.

Paul

Last edited:

Steve83

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Memphis, TN, USA, Earth, Milky Way
S is "Stator", as in one of the 3 stator windings, each of which puts out ~1/2 battery voltage before going thru the rectifier (diodes). So with 12V going into it, you have a little electric heater inside the alternator burning off battery power, and causing a wierd 6V short across some of the wiring. S should only be connected to the choke heater (if equipped). Wire it up this way:

DirtDonk

Contributor
Bronco Guru
...S should only be connected to the choke heater (if equipped).

To clarify that, I think he meant that the S (or STA) post on the back of the alternator, which is the stator output, would be used with a factory electric choke.

The "S" we're talking about on the voltage regulator is, as shown in his diagram, hooked to "switched" power.

Paul

OP
OP
B

bgood96861

Loc.
Aurora, Colorado
2nd update

Thanks for the great info! The wiring harness is definitely aftermarket as it does not totally match the wiring diagrams.

I think I want to wire the system this way...

Voltage Regulator
I- Disconnected
S- 12v run
A-12v constant
F- Field
Alternator ground to voltage regulator case

4 quick questions..
Do i need fusible link on the wire from the bat terminal to the battery?

Should that wire go to the battery side of the solenoid or directly to the battery?

Ammeter appears to work now but do I need to put the bat wire in that loop to get an accurate read off of the induction?

Alternator has a terminal labeled GRD (I assume ground) and another unmarked terminal very close to it. The sheet that came with the alternator showed using the unmarked terminal as ground. Which one do I use?

Thanks for the help! You guys are awesome!
PS- Steve83 I was unable to access your diagram. What am I doing wrong?

DirtDonk

Contributor
Bronco Guru
I think I want to wire the system this way...

Voltage Regulator
I- Disconnected
S- 12v run
A-12v constant
F- Field
Alternator ground to voltage regulator case

Yep. Not quite in that order, but the connections are correct for those letters.
You say stock. Is this a 45 to 60 amp alternator?

4 quick questions..

1. Do i need fusible link on the wire from the bat terminal to the battery?

Here's the long, multi-level answer. Hope it doesn't put you to sleep!
First, it sounds like your existing wire (is it Yellow by any chance?) goes into the harness, then through the ammeter, then back out to the starter relay's battery side. Correct? Is that wire Red?
If so, then yes, you should either have a fusible link there (like on a stock Bronco) or a Maxi-Fuse, in the 60 amp range.

If instead, you have a wire directly from the alternator to the battery (like you're talking about doing), then nope, you don't "have" to have one.
But it's a good idea.

I would say that, up until recently, most of the members here that have upgraded to higher powered alternators, have wired it directly with no protection.
Ford though, uses either a fusible link, or a Mega-Fuse with holder to do the job. Not sure if that was a running change, or just varied by vehicle, but they've done both over the years.
I like the Mega-Fuse idea though. More expensive up front, but easier to make a fix on the side of the road or trail. With a fusible link, you pretty much have to have all your favorite wiring implements to replace one.
Granted, if you blow a fuse or melt a link, you may have other issues not easily resolved, but at least the fuses are easier to test, and easier to replace.

Maybe it's just easier to buy protection nowadays than it was before? Pre-made harnesses are available from us, RJM, Painless, and probably the other vendors, as well as the junkyard.
Plus you can make your own with semi-easily sourced parts.
Lots of choices.

2. Should that wire go to the battery side of the solenoid or directly to the battery?

Either one is fine. The consensus is that, directly to the battery is the best, as any funky-monkey surges or anything like that is better absorbed by the battery, before it gets to the system.
That said, the most convenient spot is usually the starter relay, and even Ford (as well as all the other O.E.'s too, most likely) run them directly to their under-hood fuse boxes, or other terminal block. So if they think they can do it safely, I'm sure you can too.

Do you feel you really need to do this though? If your alternator is under 70 amps, you can just leave the existing wire that utilizes the ammeter.
Once you hook one directly to the battery though, that becomes the path of least resistance and the ammeter will only function occasionally.

3. Ammeter appears to work now but do I need to put the bat wire in that loop to get an accurate read off of the induction?

Yes, but you don't want to go to all that trouble. Sounds like you've got one already, and another one that's not part of the harness is just more potential trouble from rubbing on things, and just basically getting in the way.
Not worth the trouble unless you're totally into it and need the new wire for some reason.
I'm contemplating it with mine, but I'm just wired weird that way.

4. Alternator has a terminal labeled GRD (I assume ground) and another unmarked terminal very close to it. The sheet that came with the alternator showed using the unmarked terminal as ground. Which one do I use?

Correct. Both grounds. I've run into this before too. Some units label all the ground capable posts, others just label one. You can easily verify this with an ohm-meter to the case though. If they're connected, it's a ground.

Paul