• Just a reminder that you won't be able to start new posts or reply to existings posts in the Archive forum.

This is where all the old posts go so they can still be used for reference and searched.
  • Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Parts list part pricing? start a go to list?

redtail

So often times on the forum when I have something to sell I am not quite sure exactly how much to ask... I know it is personal preference and you have your right to ask whatever you want for your parts, but I hate to sound unreasonable or sell stuff stupid cheap %). So who would be interested in having some 'guidelines' for some of the common parts that are sold in the classifieds? we could set up some guidelines for condition of the items as to what the parts go for in poor/fair/good/excellent shape, and so on.

I am often confused by, for example, the person asking $100 for their dana 44, and a different person selling the same type axle for $350! Like I said earlier it is your right to ask what you want for your parts, but I would really like to pay fair, and get fair prices for my used parts.

anyways, chime in with your thoughts. ;D

broncobsession

Bronco Guru
People can price their stuff however they want -- the less rules the better IMO. I vote no.

1sicbronconut

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Sell most my stuff on Ebay start at the lowest I think it's worth and let it go from there.

casadejohnson

Bronco Alchemist
I think it needs to remain up to the seller to set the price. There is more to it than what your selling. In the example of a dana 44, one might have disc brakes and a Detroit locker and the other could have a drums and an open diff. Additionally, the seller may get rid of it cheap just to get it out of his garage. Another big factor is location. I would pay a little more for a part I can go pick up and inspect first. I think the information your looking for is already available if you search the classifieds for previous sales. The ones that say "Bump, still available" 10 times could be priced a little high and the ones that have a reply of "I'll take it, PM sent" 10 minutes after it was posted were probably priced below the going rate. I have put together and sold several 4x4x2 boxes and I sell them for less than the going rate because I still make a few bucks and I just do the conversion where another guy might go through it and put all new seals in it etc. That's my 2 cents.

OP
OP
redtail

redtail

I think it needs to remain up to the seller to set the price. There is more to it than what your selling. In the example of a dana 44, one might have disc brakes and a Detroit locker and the other could have a drums and an open diff. Additionally, the seller may get rid of it cheap just to get it out of his garage. Another big factor is location. I would pay a little more for a part I can go pick up and inspect first. I think the information your looking for is already available if you search the classifieds for previous sales. The ones that say "Bump, still available" 10 times could be priced a little high and the ones that have a reply of "I'll take it, PM sent" 10 minutes after it was posted were probably priced below the going rate. I have put together and sold several 4x4x2 boxes and I sell them for less than the going rate because I still make a few bucks and I just do the conversion where another guy might go through it and put all new seals in it etc. That's my 2 cents.

Not rules, I myself don't like more rules, but sometimes some guidelines are helpful.
More of what I was thinking of is say, a blue book value, not a "this is what you sell it for" type of thing. A time saver if you will. Just a combined list of the going prices on the most common units.

and as for the D44s I saw go, they were the exact same open/drum LP 3.50 d44's

casadejohnson

Bronco Alchemist
Not rules, I myself don't like more rules, but sometimes some guidelines are helpful.
More of what I was thinking of is say, a blue book value, not a "this is what you sell it for" type of thing. A time saver if you will. Just a combined list of the going prices on the most common units.

and as for the D44s I saw go, they were the exact same open/drum LP 3.50 d44's

Fair enough, but I think it would be a lot of work to maintain the list. Someone would have to keep track of it all. The hard part would be getting the actual prices that things sold for. Using the Dana 44 example, the $350 Dana44 could have been listed at $350 but maybe the seller settled for $200. Just out of curiosity, were the 2 Dana 44's you saw in the same area geographically?

thegreatjustino

Contributor
Red Head Grease Monkey
Loc.
Stockton, CA
Another vote for it being nearly impossible to account for location and sellers reasons for selling. I've sold two disc brake Dana 44s over the years, and got $700 for one and $800 for the other. These were in California where Broncos don't rust out and don't get parted out very often. So, an EB Dana 44 is difficult to find here. However, in rust belt areas of the country where Broncos get parted out all the time, a Dana 44 is going to be easy to find and a heck of a lot cheaper.

OP
OP
redtail

redtail

Fair enough, but I think it would be a lot of work to maintain the list. Someone would have to keep track of it all. The hard part would be getting the actual prices that things sold for. Using the Dana 44 example, the $350 Dana44 could have been listed at $350 but maybe the seller settled for $200. Just out of curiosity, were the 2 Dana 44's you saw in the same area geographically?

I don't think I even looked, haha.