• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

pats on a explorer?

oly24

Loc.
olympia
does anyone know how to tell if a 96 explorer has a pats on it. I don't have the keys or the steering column?

rtreads

Loc.
wow. thought there would be more help on this...

just give it time. someone out there knows

1sicbronconut

Contributor
Bronco Guru
I went online to Ford and checked the wiring diagrams. According to them it came with or without the PATS system. I know you said you don't have the steering column, but do you have the dash harness? I might be able to help if you have that, can trace the plug for the PATS transceiver for you.

OP
OP
O

oly24

Loc.
olympia
I went online to Ford and checked the wiring diagrams. According to them it came with or without the PATS system. I know you said you don't have the steering column, but do you have the dash harness? I might be able to help if you have that, can trace the plug for the PATS transceiver for you.

Yes I have the dash wiring harnes well most of it any way I noticed when I pulled the wiring harness that the explorer had an after market remote start system on it. That being said I would think that the vehicle could not have a pats but would like to make sure I am not over looking anything

Broncobowsher

Total hack
What is Pats?

RFID tag in the key that if it doesn't see it, it won't start.

They do have remote start for PATS. There is a module that learns a key then duplicates the signal when commanded to (fakes a key being in the range of the PATS reciever)

OP
OP
O

oly24

Loc.
olympia
RFID tag in the key that if it doesn't see it, it won't start.

They do have remote start for PATS. There is a module that learns a key then duplicates the signal when commanded to (fakes a key being in the range of the PATS reciever)

thanks for the info, I didn't know that

1sicbronconut

Contributor
Bronco Guru
From what I looked up, PATS didn't start on the Explorer until '98.

Thats what I thought but when I looked it up in the EVTM's it had a split in the wiring, one side was for PATS and was W/O PATS? I can take a picture of the plug for the PATS transceiver and send it to you. With that you can check your loom and see if it has a macthing plug.

OP
OP
O

oly24

Loc.
olympia
Thats what I thought but when I looked it up in the EVTM's it had a split in the wiring, one side was for PATS and was W/O PATS? I can take a picture of the plug for the PATS transceiver and send it to you. With that you can check your loom and see if it has a macthing plug.

Thanks for the offer but I call the local ford dealer ship and asked them if a 96 explorer could came with pats. two dealerships two different answers but both agreed that they have seen them but had know way to tell then I called the 1800 number for ford, gave them the vin number off of the truck and they said it didn't come with this option. for anyone interest or may read this in the future some 96 explorers did come with pats according to the dealers and ford corp
thank you for your replys and time

eb66to77

Bronc'Ownly
Loc.
NOVA
That is good shit since I have the 96 eec-v EDIS setup. I'm keeping my fingers crossed. If all that is needed is the edis portion of it, the eec-iv stuff will run edis, well some of them will. Not sure about the other advantages.

Dave

Contributor
Bronco Guru
The programming guide for my scan tool has pretty complete information and programming instructions for the PATS systems. PATS was used on some Ford models in 96 but not the Explorer. It has a table showing which one of the 5 versions of PATS is used in all of the Fords.

98 was the first year that is shows pats on the Explorer or Mountaineer.

If by chance it did have a PATS you are kinda screwed unless you can get the module from the vehicle that you got PCM out of. They can be reprogrammed if you have the correct scan tool.

eb66to77

Bronc'Ownly
Loc.
NOVA
Hey Dave, what is the advantage if I used the EEC-V from the 96 explorer over using an EEC-IV mass air running EDIS? I have a 4r70w waiting to go in and the computer runs it. What do you think? What program are you running again?

I know the cons include wiring and 4 hegos.

Dave

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Hey Dave, what is the advantage if I used the EEC-V from the 96 explorer over using an EEC-IV mass air running EDIS? I have a 4r70w waiting to go in and the computer runs it. What do you think? What program are you running again?

I know the cons include wiring and 4 hegos.

I couldn't really answer that one. My OBD II thread is the ongoing documentation of a learning experience for me. I'm using a completely stock setup out of one donor 2000 Explorer. I have a 98 Explorer and really like the way it runs and drives and am expecting the same characteristics. Its interesting that everyone seems to focus on the 2 extra HEGOs. They just pluge into the harness on the transmission. A lot less hastle than dealing with removal of the air pump and smog stuff that exists on the earlier engines. From a wiring standpoint its a much cleaner instalation.

Sorry for the hijack.

Dave...

tasker

Contributor
all knowing of nothing
Loc.
NH
I've been doing this a while and never seen a '96 with pats....