• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

performer intake water ports?

wesleydax

are there more than two water ports on this intake? i know the two up front are for heater hose and temp sensor. is there one in the back? i need one more for the efi. or am i going to have to tee in to one up front.

Attachments

• edl-2121.jpg
    edl-2121.jpg
    12.9 KB · Views: 36

jckkys

Bronco Guru
There's a boss cast in front of the left rear intake hold down bolt hole that could be drilled and tapped with pipe thread. If the port is for a temp sensor, one of the front ports would be more accurate.

TBS-POPS

Bronco Guru
Loc.
valley springs, ca
for efi you can also use a ported thermostat housing cause all it wants to know if its above 100 degrees or not for warm up mixture.

Broncobowsher

Total hack
The ports in the back are for some applications that need cool water, like some EGR cooler applications. The rear ports are not full engine temp, they are only after the water has run past the cylinders and not through the heads. The heads are where most of the heat is picked up. Putting a sensor in that rear crossover will give it false readings.

And yes, there are only 2 ports in the front of the intake. EFI has the sensor in the heater hose fitting, but the heater on EFI applicaions is full flow. Stock Bronco heater is thorttled water supply. I have no issues using a short T and get the sensor as close to the intake as possible. Water conducts heat rather well, there is turbulance in the water flow, a little out of the direct path will be fine. But it still has to be close enough to get the water flow and read the right temp.

OP
OP
wesleydax

wesleydax

ok so if i just put a T in the intake where the heater hose is I should be fine?

DirtDonk

Contributor
Bronco Guru
What ports in the back are you guys referring to? I see only mounting bolt holes in the corners and edges, and two large vacuum ports in the runners for cylinders 4 & 8.
Unless I'm missing something...

Like POPs mentioned, an extra port on the thermostat neck can be handy to have around.

Paul

Broncobowsher

Total hack
Some of the intakes have an extra water passage that connects between left and right heads at the back of the intake. There is some myth that bridging the cooling system at that point wiil cure cooling issues. If you understand coolant flow you will realize it can't do anything. If you look at the history of the engine you will note that water was pulled off at that point in some models for some EGR applications. Most of the time just put plugs in the holes and you will be fine. But if you need the water passages it sure is a good thing to have. I used them once for an oil cooler application. It was warm water but not the hottest of water. Ran that through an oil to water cooler that doubled as an oil warmer in cold weather. I also used it for the heater knowing it wasn't the hottest of water, but in AZ it was warm enough for what little heating needs I needed. That also freed up a port in the front for the EFI temp sensor and cleaned up the intake of one extra hose. Using a control valve port it also removed a piece of heater hose and 2 hose clamps.