• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

phoenix or prescott reputable shops ?

Broncobowsher

Total hack
Steve at Complete Offroad out in West Phoenix. Was working out of Randys lot in the side shop for years. Went big, huge shop, too much going on to enjoy so he scaled back a few years back. Has his own shop on his property. Does a ton of gears and never hear of problems with the setup. None of the big shop hassles and overhead either. One of the few people I would pay to install gears.
623-842-2000

OP
OP
hdmc

hdmc

Loc.
goodyear AZ
Steve at Complete Offroad out in West Phoenix. Was working out of Randys lot in the side shop for years. Went big, huge shop, too much going on to enjoy so he scaled back a few years back. Has his own shop on his property. Does a ton of gears and never hear of problems with the setup. None of the big shop hassles and overhead either. One of the few people I would pay to install gears.
623-842-2000

wow driven wants 1285 for the front and 875 for the rear is that normal or alot ? waiting to hear back from your guy .

sprinksbeme

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Kingman, AZ
See if you can save money by only taking the 9" third member and the dana 44 with the axles removed. That way your only paying for the labor to set up the gears. Randy Harrell and Steve Allard are both good people you can trust.

sprinksbeme

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Kingman, AZ
What size gears do you have now and what size you going to?
The 44 needs a carrier change in you are running 3.90 or higher ratio and going to 3.92 or Lower. I just call my guy and he said 850 labor is what he gets so you can compare.
Marty

70_Steve

Old Guy
wow driven wants 1285 for the front and 875 for the rear is that normal or alot ? waiting to hear back from your guy .
Yes, that's a lot. I got a quote, from a A1 Differential, for $250 for the 9" if I carry in the pumpkin, and 800 for the Dana44 if I drive in the Bronco.

I bought a dial indicator and base from Harbor Freight ($14), borrowed an inch/lb torque wrench, and did my own! Damn I do good work, when I have a reason to!

Broncobowsher

Total hack

What are you getting for that price? Is it just a gear change or are you getting lockers/axles with it?

Hal9000

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Flagstaff, AZ
If you were in Flagstaff, I'd recommend TIC automotive. (OK, it's my Cousin's shop, but he really is the most competent mechanic I know)

Broncobowsher

Total hack
For just gearing that sounds high. What locker do you have in the front? It might be hard to just change carriers for it. Probably need a new locker.

Give Steve a call and see what he wants.

Remember labor rates are based on how much he has to do. Drive the truck in will cost more then dropping off a third member for the rear and an axle housing with the spindles removed and the shafts out of it for the front. although don't be too helpful and deliver a box of parts that you have removed everything, that just makes for a jigsaw puzzle that makes people frustrated.

All else fails, try it yourself. I have done one locker swap (same gears). That wasn't too bad. But I still don't mind letting someone else do gears for me.