• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Picking up a '94 351W for an EFI swap - Help

GrillMaster

Bronco Guru
What do I need outside of the motor, intake, fuel rails, front dress etc? Worth trying to get the harness and computer or is it better to use one from a 5.0?

Thanks

Viperwolf1

Contributor
electron whisperer
5.0 electronics will be easier to use. Front dress may be too long. Lower intake could be useful if using the BCB adapter. Rails would be worth taking.

OP
OP
GrillMaster

GrillMaster

Bronco Guru
Eaiser is better for me! I thought people ran the 351W serp setup? or does only the explorer serp fit? Do you use the 351 throttle body with the 5.0 upper intake or does it get junked?

Viperwolf1

Contributor
electron whisperer
Eaiser is better for me! I thought people ran the 351W serp setup? or does only the explorer serp fit? Do you use the 351 throttle body with the 5.0 upper intake or does it get junked?

I've seen some used and I've seen some that that looked too long. You could measure the space you have and the serp drive and see. Nothing beats the explorer setup for compactness though.

73azbronco

Contributor
Bronco Guru
I just did this, mine was out of a 96 Bronco.

Everything external to the 351w is still sitting on a shelf.

The harness is useless unless you have an engineering degree.
Injectors are fine, fuel rail has regulator on wrong side unless you flip the upper intake.

Front dress is to long, use explorer serp or old school 351 pulley setup. If you use explorer setup get damper dudes to rebalance damper to 28 oz. even then mine was out of balance and required rotating assembly to be balanced but I used KB pistons which are way lighter.

Essentially, you need a 351w efi lower (lightning or what you have with adapter), stang 5.0 upper and everything else associated with the stang MAF EFI setup (computer/sensors, etc).

Oil pan may be useful, but it already has a small dent from the fullsize bronco...

zeeman1

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Seattle
I did this, pulled from a 93 F150 and used everything off the truck. I still have the full front dress/serp setup on there. Also, I pulled all wires out of the engine compartment harness that didn't need to be there, and used the ECU that was in the truck as well. Pretty much plug and play and it fired up the first try. I never did touch a single wire on the engine itself, just unplugged it, removed, installed, and plugged it back in. It's not that hard to do. If you don't have a 3" body lift and a hood scoop though you'll have to remove the truck upper intake and then screw with the rest of the setup, but I installed it as-is and it has worked flawlessly for me.