• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Pics and Details of a Dana 44 Front End With Discs

Dave K.

Could someone post some images of a correct Dana 44 with discs for an EB? I'm going to pick one up as part of a larger parts/vehicle buy and want to make sure it's what I'm looking at. Anything to watch out for (other than condition)? Could a later Bronco front end be similar and I miss it? Any dimensions or details I should be looking at?

Thanks for the help. Dave.

Waverous

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Loc.
Aurora, CO
Excuse me if some of this is obvious, but from your post I can't tell how familiar you are with early bronco parts. I don't have any pics for you, but I do have some tips on spotting a Ford D44.
  1. All Ford Dana 44's have a drivers side differential
  2. All Dana 44's have ball joints. Some Dana 30's have been converted to disks but they have king pins
  3. Early Bronco Dana 44's are narrower than full width axles by 6"
  4. Early Bronco Dana 44s are low pinion
  5. Early Bronco Dana 44s have welded C Bushing mounts
Now, later model straight axle Ford full width Dana 44's could easily be converted to narrower EB widths. Those front ends, if done right, look very similar to OEM EB Dana 44s, except they have high pinion differentials and some may have cast C bushing mounts. If done correctly, these conversions are as good as any original Dana 44

Last edited:

airbur

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Castle Pines, CO
Before, and after.....

1b.jpg

3b.jpg

2b.jpg

Glass Pony

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Loc.
Sussex County Delaware
Correct me if I'm wrong but I think the one dead give away that it is a disc brake 76-77 D44 is the sway bar bracket on the passenger side axle tube.

OP
OP
D

Dave K.

Excuse me if some of this is obvious, but from your post I can't tell how familiar you are with early bronco parts. I don't have any pics for you, but I do have some tips on spotting a Ford D44.
  1. All Ford Dana 44's have a drivers side differential
  2. All Dana 44's have ball joints. Some Dana 30's have been converted to disks but they have king pins
  3. Early Bronco Dana 44's are narrower than full width axles by 6"
  4. Early Bronco Dana 44s are low pinion
  5. Early Bronco Dana 44s have welded C Bushing mounts
Now, later model straight axle Ford full width Dana 44's could easily be converted to narrower EB widths. Those front ends, if done right, look very similar to OEM EB Dana 44s, except they have high pinion differentials and some may have cast C bushing mounts. If done correctly, these conversions are as good as any original Dana 44

Nope, I'm not that familiar and one of the reasons I'm buying this mess of parts and the unfinished Bronco project is to get this front end!

By the way, the pics help a lot. I'm a Jeep and muscle car guy and only recently entered the realm of EBs!

Thanks to all. Dave.

BTW, that 44 shore is purdy.....

1970excursion

1. All Dana 44's have ball joints. Some Dana 30's have been converted to disks but they have king pins

Not to make things worse, but this bullet is more like 99.5% of Dana 44s have king pins. I "had" a drum Dana 44 with Dana 33 king pins. now have Dana 44 with "big bronco" disks. Which requires the knuckle out from a 74-79 F150 or Bronco, and some bushings for your tie-rod

101_2175.jpg

101_2176.jpg

OP
OP
D

Dave K.

So often threads are started and the ending is never written as it were. Please see the attached pic of the front end I picked up, everyone's help was appreciated--sure hope it is a Dana 44! Plan is to install this on my original 74Ranger.

Attachments

• Bronco Dana 44.JPG
    Bronco Dana 44.JPG
    143.7 KB · Views: 73

DirtDonk

Contributor
Bronco Guru
At a quick glance it appears to be a '76/'77 Bronco front 44. Complete with brakes and steering linkage.
Looks like maybe a full-width high-pinion model to it's left there upside down. Nice 9" rear from a '76 or earlier too. Did you get the rear as well, or just the front.

Things to watch for are:
1. The gear ratio matching your existing rear if you only swap the one end.
2. The steering arms (part of the knuckle) fitting your choice of wheels. A backspacing of 3.75" or less is pretty much required with 15" wheels. The 16 and 17 inch sizes are more forgiving.
3. Steering linkage ends. You'll need a wider tie-rod and rod ends with smaller ends like these: http://www.wildhorses4x4.com/product/Tie_Rod_2way_Adjustable_7677yr and http://www.wildhorses4x4.com/product/Adjustable_Drag_Link_30in_6675yr or just our #2390 and ask one of the guys if the upper draglink end is the proper size for your earlier pitman arm (with a larger hole).

Nice find. Do you know what gears it's got, and if it's got a limited-slip or not?

Paul

OP
OP
D

Dave K.

I purchased all three of the diffs in the picture as well as the ones on the frame they're sitting on. I'm really just starting to go through all of this stuff and trying to identify what's what. I believe the Dana 44 is a 3.50 but not sure of the limited slip aspect. I assume I have to yank the cover to determine the latter? Not sure on the welded sway bar brackets but will get more pics this week. Really appreciated the quick response from everyone on identifying this stuff initially, it was a great help. Thanks, Dave.

Slednut10

Contributor
Guru? That's funny!
Go back and look at post #3 picture #2. On the lower side of the passenger side axletube (right side in this pic), you will see the swaybar bracket they are referring to.