• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Stock bumper with hidden winch (details/pics)

mp

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Austin, TX
I will echo the comments about going into production on these, or selling the design to someone who CAN knock these out for sale. I know I would buy at least one.

I have had the same idea in my head for years, but never had the time or skills to get past the idea in my head.

OP
OP
xcntrk

xcntrk

Bronco Guru
Loc.
NOVA
Thanks all appreciate the compliments and kind words!

As far as I’m concerned, anybody is welcome to copy the approach I used with this project. As you can see from Monster Mike’s rig, I’m certainly not the first person to stuff a winch between the frame-rails so I honestly hold no “rights” to that approach.

The reality is this is a custom winch mount built specifically for my rig (and only my rig). The challenges to overcome in creating a design that can accommodate the masses are huge. Variations in motor front-dress, which radiator is used and how it’s mounted, body-lift and how much room is available, front suspension & steering configurations that may interfere with target mounting location, etc., would all have to be overcome to try and build this as a universal package. Far too much work for my blood… I can’t even finish my own laundry list of projects bouncing around in my head ;)

kb6677

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Thanks all appreciate the compliments and kind words!

As far as I’m concerned, anybody is welcome to copy the approach I used with this project. As you can see from Monster Mike’s rig, I’m certainly not the first person to stuff a winch between the frame-rails so I honestly hold no “rights” to that approach.

That is not Monster Mike's rig- that was my Twisted Custom's Bronco buggy built from '08-'11

OP
OP
xcntrk

xcntrk

Bronco Guru
Loc.
NOVA
That is not Monster Mike's rig- that was my Twisted Custom's Bronco buggy built from '08-'11
Sorry about that! MM also has a winch stuffed between the rails too! Not a new approach, just not commonly applied on such a stocker as mine.

kb6677

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Sorry about that! MM also has a winch stuffed between the rails too! Not a new approach, just not commonly applied on such a stocker as mine.

All good-you did a very nice job as has been posted. I agree one hundred percent. I like the clean look.

bteutsch

I was wondering if I could do this with a Ramsey PTO winch. I'm going to get out the tape measure. Looks awesome by the way!!!

D.R.Y.

Loc.
The Netherlands
This is definitely the style I go after with my projects to keep the stock look but add new and useful things. Can not wait to see what the next idea you have in your head that you make.

toddz69

Sponsor/Vendor
Bronco Guru
The challenges to overcome in creating a design that can accommodate the masses are huge. Variations in motor front-dress, which radiator is used and how it’s mounted, body-lift and how much room is available, front suspension & steering configurations that may interfere with target mounting location, etc., would all have to be overcome to try and build this as a universal package. Far too much work for my blood… I can’t even finish my own laundry list of projects bouncing around in my head ;)

You've summarized perfectly all the challenges in trying to bring a project to market for EB owners that's a one-size-fits-all solution for a large enough number of owners to make it worthwhile. It's tough!

Congrats on such a clean design. It follows along nicely with all the other sano work you've done on your rig.

Todd Z.

Fronco

Nice work, I was planning to do this on my rig as well. What winch did you end up going with?

DirtDonk

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Yes, what winch? You mentioned "compact" in the beginning, but I missed it if you said what the actual model was.

And off topic a bit, how do you like your headlights? Good beam pattern?

Thanks

Paul

Rox Crusher

Bronco Guru
I think this is the best hidden winch yet.

how much room between the winch and the bottom of the radiator (which radiator are you using ?) ?