• Just a reminder that you won't be able to start new posts or reply to existings posts in the Archive forum.

This is where all the old posts go so they can still be used for reference and searched.
  • Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Pics of my new White Bikini Top from BroncoCovers.com!

OP
OP
Heus33

Heus33

Bronco Guru
The rollbar is very close to being as high as the top of the windshield. See pics.

Attachments

• Seats_installed.jpg
    Seats_installed.jpg
    149.8 KB · Views: 40

Mono

Contributor
Bronco Guru
I would try it on a Buddies Bronco with a different roll bar.

From these pictures, it looks like your bar tappers in more than most (although I was wrong on how high it sat).... which in turn, would not support the rear.... causing the flaps to look like they do.... Just a guess:D

Attachments

• rollbar1.jpg
    rollbar1.jpg
    41.8 KB · Views: 11
  • rollbar2.jpg
    rollbar2.jpg
    49.9 KB · Views: 6
  • rollbar.jpeg
    rollbar.jpeg
    31.2 KB · Views: 12

broncow72

Village Idiot
Loc.
Spring,TX.
Kinda hard to make a top for a truck that isn't right in front of you. I think Rick is offering up the right way. Let him see it and make the adjustments he sees needed. As a first fitment I think it is fine, not as a final product and that rollbar should be 2" above the windshield line.

I think Rick will have agood time when I commision him to make mine w/ a halfcab back panel. He's gonna earn his pay on that one.;) Might have to fly him down here to do it though.;D

SaddleUp

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Vancouver, WA
Kinda hard to make a top for a truck that isn't right in front of you. I think Rick is offering up the right way. Let him see it and make the adjustments he sees needed. As a first fitment I think it is fine, not as a final product and that rollbar should be 2" above the windshield line.

I think Rick will have agood time when I commision him to make mine w/ a halfcab back panel. He's gonna earn his pay on that one.;) Might have to fly him down here to do it though.;D
Will this be on your 4 door one? The biggest issue I can think of with it will be the door frames. On PDXBronoc's it was easy because his is just 12" longer in the tub. If we can figure out the exact difference to make the door frames work on yours then it can probably be done. May want to substitute a heavier piece over the doors for some extra strength but it will depend on how it needs to be made.

mr incredible

Bronco Guru
the roll bar looks too low ,, heck it barely covers the top of the seats ,, so it needs to be about four inches higher ,, if you are in a roll over ,, it looks like it wont do you much good ,,, was it even built for a bronco ?

TJK74

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Newark CA
I used to run a white bikini top but got one of Ricks trail tops when I went to running a family cage. So far I'm super happy with ricks top. Fits nice stays taught and doesnt flap around in the wind.

Attachments

• Bikini3.jpg
    Bikini3.jpg
    74.2 KB · Views: 40
  • IMG_2205.jpg
    IMG_2205.jpg
    120.6 KB · Views: 46
OP
OP
Heus33

Heus33

Bronco Guru
I would try it on a Buddies Bronco with a different roll bar.

From these pictures, it looks like your bar tappers in more than most (although I was wrong on how high it sat).... which in turn, would not support the rear.... causing the flaps to look like they do.... Just a guess:D

Mono - those pics were taken from my driveway that has a slight downgrade so where the pics are taken from it looks as if the rear hoop is lower than the windshield frame - its just the angle of the pics. I measured this weekend and they are exactly the same height.

Attachments

• rollbar.jpg
    rollbar.jpg
    76.2 KB · Views: 21
OP
OP
Heus33

Heus33

Bronco Guru
More pics from this weekend:

1: The door frames will not close with the top as it sits. - Well let me elaborate - the door will technically shut but as you can see in the pics its not as 'clean' as the pic TJK posts above.

2: The way the straps are positioned leaves a lot of sag in the top. I tried multiple mounting points - weelwheels, tailgate, even behind the tailgate (just to see) and could not get the top to pull taught.

3. The height of the rollbar seems to be of concern. I actually think the riser is to blame - its raising up the height of the windshield another 3" or so and that looks to be what is causing the downward angle to the rollbar.

Rick - sent you a PM on next steps.

Attachments

• sag2.jpg
    sag2.jpg
    40.4 KB · Views: 6
  • sag1.jpg
    sag1.jpg
    45.7 KB · Views: 13
  • top1.jpg
    top1.jpg
    58.4 KB · Views: 17
  • Doorframe.jpg
    Doorframe.jpg
    46.2 KB · Views: 7
  • doorframe2.jpg
    doorframe2.jpg
    50.4 KB · Views: 20
  • sag3.jpg
    sag3.jpg
    41.6 KB · Views: 11
Last edited:

BCH BRCO

Saddleup,

Reference your comment #19. Perhaps I did get it right about the door frame interference?

Beach Bronco

OP
OP
Heus33

Heus33

Bronco Guru
looks to me like the door shuts....%)
I could be seeing things though;D

Yes the door does open and close without issue. Its the gap and rake that make it look off. If it were raining it would get pretty wet in there.

mr incredible

Bronco Guru
i have a bikini top , from another manufacturer, and i sure wish i would have had rick make mine , as the straps are in the wrong places , and it flops alot ,, in the wind ,, but my edges are even with the door rail tops , due to the height of the roll bar , even with the 4 " riser in the front if you had a grown up roll bar ,, this one would be good also ,, and in the rain , most any bikini top will getcha wet ,, it is the law of physics thing ,, short skinny top ,, equals a bit of moisture on you ,,,

OP
OP
Heus33

Heus33

Bronco Guru
My expectations were certainly not to have a water proof top but I did expect to get one that fit correctly (no sag and no door frame issues). I don't feel as if that’s been accomplished yet but am willing to be the guinea pig to get this top figured out. If anyone has another other suggestions on fitment or placement, I'm all ears...

SaddleUp

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Vancouver, WA
Saddleup,

Reference your comment #19. Perhaps I did get it right about the door frame interference?

Beach Bronco

I knew already that it would not interfere with the door frames because it starts out above them and tapers back and is narrower at the rear of them. The top itself is approx. the same width at the rear of the doors as most of the family style ones that I've made however they fit differently since they attach at the rear hoop instead of the center hoop. I.E. While it may not look right with the doors on it it is not actually going to interfere with them opening and closing.

Tom, I'll get back with you on the measurements etc. so we can change it to work better on yours. I need to remake both of them as the other one also doesn't come tight in the middle either. On yours I may need to cut it in a little extra since your roll bar is low to make it look right. I'll actually work the new pattern to fit the other one with his measurements and then modify it from there for yours. The color on the top I sent you is called cream white and is Haartz vinyl (The same as what is used on the Bestop and STC tops). From your message it sounds like the bright white I used on Trevors (TJK74) above may be better. Take a glance at it and see if that looks about right. The vinyl I used on his is a very heavy marine vinyl and is closer to a bright white than the cream white. I can do it with either one as I'll need to get more either way.

BoltBuster

Bronco Guru
How are most bikini tops mounted in the front at the window frame? slide bead?, Velcro?, snaps?, straps?

Mono

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Tom, I'll get back with you on the measurements etc. so we can change it to work better on yours. I need to remake both of them as the other one also doesn't come tight in the middle either.......................

Now that's service! What are you asking for a White Bikini, if I may ask?

SaddleUp

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Vancouver, WA
How are most bikini tops mounted in the front at the window frame? slide bead?, Velcro?, snaps?, straps?

They are normally mounted with a riser that includes a slider for the front edge to slide it into. (Similar to the channels used on RV awnings) Most of them use a snap on each side as well that goes into the side of the windshield frame. (On the first few I did this but most people chose not to put the snaps in so I don't use them anymore) In the case of Tom's above the rollbar is definately lower than what they normally are. Usually the rollbar is about 1" higher than the windshield riser. Because of this there will be some compromise in fit on his although the top he has still will not work even with a normal rollbar so I need to go back to the design and make changes. (Which is not unusual as it took me a few on the family style before I had a good design as well) For Tom's the fit will either slope down some to the rollbar (About midway from where it is now and the top of the doorframes) or is going to be narrower and allow more rain to come through.

Last edited:

SaddleUp

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Vancouver, WA
Now that's service! What are you asking for a White Bikini, if I may ask?

If I recall right I charged 79.95 including shipping for the 2 that I've done so far. I'll want to finish ironing out the design before I add them as a regular option on my website. Normally I use fabric for the trail tops (The same as I use for the covers) however with white I suggest vinyl instead as it is easier to keep clean.