• Just a reminder that you won't be able to start new posts or reply to existings posts in the Archive forum.

This is where all the old posts go so they can still be used for reference and searched.
  • Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Pictures of My New Luber - Complete With Crazy Story!

Muddypony

It's good to have another EB in Santa Clara. Hope to see you on the road.

Mono

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Had to seach what the heck a LUBER was...... ;D

phred

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Loc.
Earth
Glad you made it home. My wife too would have gone straight to the airport and told me to sell the "Thing" and catch the next flight home. Women are so understanding!
Check the wheels. The lug holes on the wheel that came of are most likely now out of round and will continue to wallow out. Had a set of custom steelies wallow out on me cause the guy that installed them on my trailer didn't use conical nuts. Needless to say my custom wheels need new centers.

bigmuddy

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Loc.
Marthasville Missouri
Sweet luber! I too have had an aluminum rim come off a vehicle at around 100 miles. I was told to tighten them to the proper torque at 100 miles or less and they should be good to go.

If they continue to loosen I would swap the wheel studs for new ones

Great rig!

Ben

73EBCO

Loc.
Thornton, CO
HA! Oh man, I have just been lurking around after selling my bronco a few years ago (I am slowly trying to convince the wife to let me get another) and I saw this and just had to say something.

The exact thing happened to me after I put on my 35's - the brake drums had not set right and it worked its way off. Only, on mine, the tire hit the rear, shooting the truck almost completely vertical and then coming down on the drum. (The tire rolled for another 1/2 mile...)

But we ended up slapping the drum back on, and driving it home, of course it needed a brake rebuild. - I'm just lucky that I had not build my bumpers yet or else it would have flipped all the way over.

Scary.

mustangtoby

Bronco Guru
Loc.
southwest Colorado
Being its new to you, you might check the studs. If the PO installed them and didn't get them all the way into the axle, they will work out which will make the nuts loose. I have seen people install then with an impact and lug nut to pull them into the axle, and may not get them all the way. Just a thought. Nice Bronco, Welcome. Keep the pics coming, love the color!

DirtDonk

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Always great to hear those stories. Glad your wife is still on board. Did her smile look the same after the trip as it did before? Great looking truck.
I have a wiper setup if you're still in need. Stop by sometime and check it out. No cover, but all the hardware should be laying around somewhere.
Even had a pretty pristine bumper, but I think I left that over at Andrew's (BajaBronco) house one day when he was out. Great to have somewhere to dump, er, I mean donate parts after they've spent too many years being tripped over. Since you have a wife to think of, "learn from our mistakes grasshopper..." and you'll live a happy life!
Make sure you become a member of bronco@yahoogroups.com list and jump on the norcalbroncos.com site to get to know more local friends.
Call anytime if you need something. (408)398-7170

Paul

OP
OP
ILikeBond

ILikeBond

Hey, thanks for the kind words.

I'm ahead of you, Paul - joined Norcalbroncos a while ago and the Bronco yahoo! group today. Good stuff.

I picked up a set of stock bumpers on my way home (swapping out the cheesy black spray painted ones), and I have some wiper parts, but not everything (for one thing, the motor I have doesn't seem to be working).

As for my wife - I think it was a long trip for her after that. I know she was tense throughout the rest of the trip and glad to be home when we were done. But I think she's calmed down now, with nothing else having happened the rest of the trip. She's definitely bragged to some friends and family about the Bronco, you know, our new "summer fun toy" (heh), etc. And she asks me what I'm doing to it working out in the garage and comes out and looks and stuff... so, I think she likes it, as freaked out as she was.

Hearing 73EBCO's story, I gotta consider myself pretty lucky all things considered...

BoltBuster

Bronco Guru
My rear tire fell off just like that on my honeymoon......I wasnt sure if that was a sign of things to come ;D I ended up getting a new caliper and dash pad ;D

OP
OP
ILikeBond

ILikeBond

A couple of you asked for more pictures, and I'm happy to oblige. I've been busy the last week swapping out flat black spray-painted parts (bumpers, emblems, door handles, fuel door) for steel/chrome ones, adding forged "FORD" letters to the front grille, installing a rear license plate frame (still need spring assembly, that's why its sitting funny) and doing a few other things on the front suspension and in the engine compartment and interior.

Things left to do include chrome headlight rings, new retractible lap belts front and rear, installing wipers, removing the top and installing a 6-point cage and bikni top, and probably adding power steering and maybe later power brakes. A few other little things, like installing new weather stripping.

Then I gotta start thinking about getting a little more performance out of that inline 6, or maybe upgrading. %) ;D

012f.jpg

003.jpg

008v.jpg

010i.jpg

013y.jpg

Ohio Bronco 21

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Cleveland
Chrome looks good on her. Chrome Headlight rings and Grill trim would round it out even more. I plan to get some eventually. Good work

OP
OP
ILikeBond

ILikeBond

Chrome looks good on her. Chrome Headlight rings and Grill trim would round it out even more. I plan to get some eventually. Good work

Headlight rings are in the mail, yup. I thought about the trim, but thought I'd see what it looks like without first.

DirtDonk

Contributor
Bronco Guru
There were a couple of sixxers at the last pizza meet-n-greet in Palo Alto too. You'll be in good company.

All this talk about rear wheels and wives got me to thinking. One of the areas of interest to any new Bronco owner are the rear wheel bearings. They're definitely NOT a weak link, but they are something that almsot never gets replaced by PO's, so they're worth looking in to in my opinion.
I forgot how many miles you said the truck has, but it's still 35 years old even if low mileage. Frankly though, if the truck has more than, say, 90k on the odometer and the bearings are of unkown vintage, I'd just replace them when you get the chance. Maybe the next time you're working on the brakes or draining the rear diff fluid. Cheap insurance.
Areas that seem to get ignored by PO's are diff and tranny fluids, the aforementioned rear bearings, and front bearings and locking hub mechanisms.
Yours looks like it was pretty well gone through, but it never hurts to be suspicious of thos areas when you're making out your maintenance wish-list.

Paul

Nobody

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Stanwood
It's pretty safe to say that the problem was because of the new Aluminum wheels. Very common and not the fault of the Bronco. Glad it didn't turn out worse! I hope your wife gives it a second chance. Maybe take her for a topless ride!