• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

piegon toed bronco

beast

my d30 has the top of the tire is out and the bottom is kicked in there is no play in the wheel when i jack it up and shake if you can help with solutions thank you

Broncobowsher

Total hack
That is called "camber" and the condition you have is called "positive". It is actually correct to an extent. Much more noticable with larger tires then stock. With a D30 the only adjustment is shims behind the spindle. I would be surprised if it was actually out of spec.

taipeichris

Bronco Guru
My dana 44 had similiar problems when I installed it. It took some hunting around but I finally got the shims ordered from Napa, back ordered, grr... but I finally got them.

Now I just need to install them. Here's the Napa part number, ask for a discount after they order them. The website says $31 each but I got mine for $24 after asking for the discount.

Napa Part Number: NPC 2641971
http://www.napaonline.com/Search/Detail.aspx?R=NCP2641971_0161971286

Good luck!
Chris

DirtDonk

Contributor
Bronco Guru
I always say the best first step is to get your truck on an alignment rack where they can give you a full printout of all your particulars. This can help you determine if you need to worry about your particular top-out situation, or can take care of it later if you need to.
It can also give you a Caster reading. This becomes real important if you want to do a suspension lift, or have wandering problems or vague steering feel.
Might as well know it all, so you can make a plan of attach. Even if it does cost a little bit of money up front for the readout.

Good luck.

Paul

OP
OP
B

beast

someone did a disk brake conversion to it befor i bought it it all still fairly new even with stock size tires it came with were worn bad on the outside with 31s it looks pretty bad has to be more than a inch out of place

DirtDonk

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Have you checked your toe-in yet? This can have an effect on how your camber is set.
Just installing the disc brakes should not have effected alignment, but if something was bent, or they somehow installed some oddball knuckles on there, then I suppose that could cause this to happen.
Wear on the outside of the tire is, unfortunately, very common on Broncos. Factory specs call for as much as 1° positive camber (maybe even a little more) and with that added to the toe-in, you get the tires spending too much time rolling around on their outer edges. Keeping camber to a minimum (say, no more than 1/2°) can help. Keeping toe-in to the minimum effective amount helps too, but too little and you can have other steering issues, so you have to play with it on every rig to see what makes it happy. About 1/8" toe-in is a good place to start.
You should measure yours just to find out where you stand. But like I said, knowing what your full alignment settings currently are is an invaluable tool for your future uses.

Regarding your camber though, as was mentioned, there are two common methods of adjustment. The upper ball-joint eccentric sleeves, and camber shims that go between the spindle and the knuckle.
If you have the GM brake system, you still have the stock 6-bolt spindles that Ford used on drum brake Broncos. If yours has been converted to a Ford disc brake setup though, you'll have the 5-bolt spindles with the larger flange. Harder to find shims for those, but I think they're still out there.

Good luck.

Paul