• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Pinion bearing preload 9" & reading gear pattern

casadejohnson

Bronco Alchemist
I'm finding conflicting info on setting the preload with new bearings. My Ford shop manual says 22-32 in/lbs when using new bearings and 5-8 for used. Other articles I'm reading say 5-8 for new bearings and 8-10 for used. I'm inclined to believe the shop manual. Just to be sure I'm not doing this wrong, measuring pinion bearing preload is the same as measuring rotational force, correct?

Last edited:

bmc69

Contributor
Bronco Guru
I'm finding conflicting info on setting the preload with new bearings. My Ford shop manual says 22-32 in/lbs when using new bearings and 5-8 for used. Other articles I'm reading say 5-8 for new bearings and 8-10 for used. I'm inclined to believe the shop manual. Just to be sure I'm not doing this wrong, measuring pinion bearing preload is the same as measuring rotational force, correct?

I use..and have used for decades...15 in-pounds for new bearings and 0-5 for used bearings.

And that is without any pinion seal in place. And yes..that is simply the torque required to uniformly turn the pinion.

broncnaz

Bronco Guru
I set mine similar to BmC69's specs. Use the specs out of a book not whats written in some article as articles can be wrong.

OP
OP
casadejohnson

casadejohnson

Bronco Alchemist
I use..and have used for decades...15 in-pounds for new bearings and 0-5 for used bearings.

And that is without any pinion seal in place. And yes..that is simply the torque required to uniformly turn the pinion.

Sounds like a nice compromise, I'm using a new crush sleeve and I didn't want to go too far and have to start over. Getting the pinion nut torqued down is a PIA working by yourself. I didn't have a good way to hold it so I put it back in the housing to hold it steady, put a Giant pipe wrench on the pinion and walked the nut down in 1/4 turn increments got it down to 2-3 inch pounds so far, looks like I have a little further to go.

OP
OP
casadejohnson

casadejohnson

Bronco Alchemist
I set mine similar to BmC69's specs. Use the specs out of a book not whats written in some article as articles can be wrong.

That's why I wanted to ask first, I know you can't undo it if you crush the sleeve too much.

Timmy390

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Loc.
Conway, AR
Sounds like a nice compromise, I'm using a new crush sleeve and I didn't want to go too far and have to start over. Getting the pinion nut torqued down is a PIA working by yourself. I didn't have a good way to hold it so I put it back in the housing to hold it steady, put a Giant pipe wrench on the pinion and walked the nut down in 1/4 turn increments got it down to 2-3 inch pounds so far, looks like I have a little further to go.

Go with a solid spacer. Much easier to deal with than a crush sleeve. Also makes it easy to change pinion seals down the road.

Got mine off eBay $28

Tim

garberz

Bronco Influencer
Loc.
Conejo Valley, Ca.
Go with a solid spacer. Much easier to deal with than a crush sleeve. Also makes it easy to change pinion seals down the road.

Got mine off eBay $28

Tim

X2, the crush sleeve can keep crushing under a harsh load. Like big tires and low gearing. A solid spacer will ensure the bearing preload stays the way you set it. Once the preload gets loose, the pinion seal starts leaking. I ordered mine with the 9 inch install kit.

cs_88

Bronco Guru
According to the Badshoeproduction video 15-29 inch lbs. with new bearings, crush sleeve and seal installed.

OP
OP
casadejohnson

casadejohnson

Bronco Alchemist
I got it up to 12 inch pounds, turned it about another 1/8-1/4 turn and I was at 26 inch pounds. Thats inside the specs from my shop manual so I went with that. I dropped in the carrier and set the backlash at .009 per the shop manual. I ran gear marking compound several times and tried to compare it to the manual and I'm not sure what to make of it.

Here is what I got. I think I have way too much compound on there from trying it so many times.

Attachments

• IMG_1227.jpg
    IMG_1227.jpg
    61.3 KB · Views: 32
  • IMG_1226.jpg
    IMG_1226.jpg
    82.4 KB · Views: 28
  • IMG_1225.jpg
    IMG_1225.jpg
    79.4 KB · Views: 34
  • IMG_1224.jpg
    IMG_1224.jpg
    81.6 KB · Views: 32
OP
OP
casadejohnson

casadejohnson

Bronco Alchemist
For reference, this is what it looked like when I took it out with the open carrier.

Attachments

• IMG_1168.jpg
    IMG_1168.jpg
    81.3 KB · Views: 25
  • IMG_1169.jpg
    IMG_1169.jpg
    78 KB · Views: 27

Viperwolf1

Contributor
electron whisperer
Hard to read. You need more force and less compound. It kind of looks like you need more backlash.

broncodriver99

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Glen Allen, VA
You can use a piece of 2x4 leveraged off of the case against the outside edge of the ring gear to give you more drag and get a better more prominent pattern.

OP
OP
casadejohnson

casadejohnson

Bronco Alchemist
Hard to read. You need more force and less compound. It kind of looks like you need more backlash.

I agree, Too much compound. I'm going to try cleaning it all off and try again. I was at about .011 on the backlash before the change. Stay tuned for another try.

OP
OP
casadejohnson

casadejohnson

Bronco Alchemist
Not sure how much better this is, I used a broom handle to create some more drag but its still not a great read on the drive side. Here is what I got this round.

Attachments

• IMG_1228.jpg
    IMG_1228.jpg
    68.2 KB · Views: 13
  • IMG_1229.jpg
    IMG_1229.jpg
    71.1 KB · Views: 17
  • IMG_1230.jpg
    IMG_1230.jpg
    82.6 KB · Views: 31
  • IMG_1231.jpg
    IMG_1231.jpg
    77.3 KB · Views: 23
  • IMG_1232.jpg
    IMG_1232.jpg
    75.4 KB · Views: 22
  • IMG_1233.jpg
    IMG_1233.jpg
    101.2 KB · Views: 27
OP
OP
casadejohnson

casadejohnson

Bronco Alchemist
Here is how it looks with more backlash (.012). It was at .008 in the previous photos.
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1348528264.249538.jpg

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1348528285.396261.jpg

Viperwolf1

Contributor
electron whisperer
Kind of looks like the pinion is just a little too far out. Try a few thousandths less pinion shim.

OP
OP
casadejohnson

casadejohnson

Bronco Alchemist
Kind of looks like the pinion is just a little too far out. Try a few thousandths less pinion shim.

I think my problem might be my own ignorance, I was thinking I needed some sort of sealer at the pinion retainer where the shim is when the o ring on the retainer should create the seal. I used some anaerobic sealant where the shim is. I'm thinking the sealant might be the problem. Could the sealant cause a couple thousandths difference in the pinion location? I'm using the same shim that was in there before.

Viperwolf1

Contributor
electron whisperer
Maybe too much sealer but aren't you using a different case too.

OP
OP
casadejohnson

casadejohnson

Bronco Alchemist
Maybe too much sealer but aren't you using a different case too.

I decided against the donor case. The other case I had was machined differently to the point where the pinion pilot bearing was measurably different than my original case. The pinion location was about 1/8" off from my other case. I wasn't comfortable with the amount of grinding that I would have had to do to get the 4.11's to clear in the case that was set up with 3.50's originally.

OP
OP
casadejohnson

casadejohnson

Bronco Alchemist
Pulled it back apart and there was a lot of sealer in there. The shim that measured in at .015 when I started now measures in at .019 in a few spots with the sealer on it. Got it all cleaned off and I will try again tomorrow and re run the gear pattern.