• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

pitman arm removal

tennessee toy

Loc.
Dyersburg, TN
help with a pitman arm removal.
I have been beating on this thing for a week.
WHat do you do to get the pitman arm off?
I have removed the bushing - i am speaking of the pitman arm on the cog itself
frustrated

JedDaniel

Loc.
Jasper Alabama
I have been there. you need some type of puller but the parts stores generic pullers are nut wide enough to fit our bronco pitman arm. I ruined a cheap puller took grinder and made it wider... Put as much tourque as you can on puller then tap with hammer lightly mine popped right off. You really need a high quality puller to do this right. hope this helps.

OP
OP
tennessee toy

tennessee toy

Loc.
Dyersburg, TN
ok yep that helps. I spent 25.00 on a puller and tore it up just getting off the drag link. Of course I also tore the drag arm up and now need to replace it. The pitman arm puller i bought is way to narrow to get around the base of the pitman arm. I have been using a pry bar and a fork to try to get it off.

Smokeater11

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Auburndale,FL
If you don't plan to reuse the pitman arm put a cut off wheel on a grinder and cut a slice in the pitman arm almost all the way through. Use a large cold chisel and split the rest of the cut and the arm will literally fall off. I worked my ass off for 4 hours on mine then decided to cut it and it fell off in 3 minutes.

lonesouth

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Going through this right now. The one from the parts store worked on my 73 but not on my 77. So my box sits on the garage floor waiting for a proper puller. My neighbor has a press, but I don't think I can rig it to remove the pitman arm. You really need the right tool for this job.

casadejohnson

Bronco Alchemist
I have removed several with a large pickle fork. I have broken two or three of the harbor freight pitman arm pullers and a couple Craftsman pullers as well. A big ass pickle fork is not technically the correct tool for the job but it has worked for me every time.

DirtDonk

Contributor
Bronco Guru
I've always had success by just tightening the puller enough to put some pressure on the arm, then using two sledge, or very heavy, hammers. they usually pop right off.
What the two hammers can do that one can't is the shock effect. Just lay one hammer (or just a heavy piece of steel if you've got one laying around) up one edge of the arm, then smack the opposite edge with the hammer.
Worked every time. So far..

Paul

fordtrucks4ever

Bronco Guru
Loc.
DFW
I bought a puller from the parts house. They have two sizes, so one did fit. Unfortunately it did not put out enough force to pop loose. I ended up torching a 90 degree section completely off exposing the splined shaft. So only 3/4 of the arm is left making contact on shaft. It still wouldnt come off. After a long time beating, it finally came loose. What a pain.

broncosam

Contributor
Bronco Guru
I bought one of the pullers that the chain auto parts stores sell for around $20.00. I took a grinder and ground a little flat on each side of the pitman arm and then opened up the puller a bit also. Worked just fine. Got a good amount of pressure on the pitman arm,a little heat with a torch ,and a couple of good solid taps with a hammer it will pop right off. I have done several this way