• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Pitman arm sector shaft over-engagment

Oldtimer

Contributor
Jr. Member with Sr. moments
Loc.
Sunnyvale, CA
Stock Ford power steering box (72) & power steering piman arm.

Pitman arm is so far on sector shaft that the nut and lock washer bottom out on sector shaft.
PO used a ball bearing race as a spacer (not a good idea).

Is this typical, am I missing a part, or is there some other issue I need to discover?

1714856614245.png

Yeller

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Loc.
Rogers County Oklahoma
It probably got ran loose at some point. I have one that has a flat washer on it along with the lock washer, was a roadside repair that has been running strong for the last 10 years…. I really should fix that I guess.

DirtDonk

Contributor
Bronco Guru
What is the overall condition of both sets of spines otherwise?

OP
OP
Oldtimer

Oldtimer

Contributor
Jr. Member with Sr. moments
Loc.
Sunnyvale, CA
Straight Line Steering told me the pitman arm is worn out, most likely from driving with loose retaining nut. I have a different arm that sits flush when installed, so sector shaft may be slightly worn. Manual pitman arms have a smaller diameter splined hole so they go on with plenty of engagement.

POWER STEERING PITMAN ARM
1715024468634.png

MANUAL STEERING PITMAN ARM
1715024511349.png

Edit: added photos

Last edited:

DirtDonk

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Man, that thing is so far down the hole, it looks upside down! :) It’s been so long since I had my original one off, I don’t remember how much, if any recess there was.

I had an aftermarket arm that must’ve been breached incorrectly. Or had some burgers on the spine that I didn’t detect
I tightened down the nut and then once or twice a week I would re-tighten it. I had to re-tighten it for six months of daily driving before it finally seated fully on the taper.

jamesroney

Contributor
Loc.
Fremont, CA
Straight Line Steering told me the pitman arm is worn out, most likely from driving with loose retaining nut. I have a different arm that sits flush when installed, so sector shaft may be slightly worn. Manual pitman arms have a smaller diameter splined hole so they go on with plenty of engagement.

POWER STEERING PITMAN ARM
View attachment 924839

MANUAL STEERING PITMAN ARM

You are reminding me of why I often end up using the manual arms.

I have had to machine a step collar for these in the past. It only needs to be about 1/4 inch thick. I suppose you could make a fancy nut as well, but I like the big split lock washer.

Make certain that the major OD on that forging will fit your puller. I usually put a couple of flats on the 78-79 arms so that the average cheap pitman arm puller will fit. I don't know why Ford made that part so big.