• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

pitman HELP-update

kntr

Bronco Guru
I run a 89 IFS Toyota PS box with a DROP pitman and TRO. I was told I would need a flat pitman arm if I keep the TRO. I ordered the FLAT pitman arm and put it on. The nut that holds the draglink on now hits the frame... can't turn.

Do I;

Heat up the pitman and but a little drop to it? It only needs a little drop. IS this safe?

Lower the PS box 1"? AHHH NOOOO

Put the DROP pitman back on and call it good.

Im thinking the PS box was put on a little higher than it should have been.

Last edited:

crawln68

Bronco Guru
Is the drag link mounted on top of the pitman arm? If so, mount it on the bottom. If not, I would heat up the pitman arm and put a little bend in it.

bronko69er

EB Addict
Loc.
Renton, WA
How much is "a little droop", 1in?
Is the arm is cast iron?
How much lift do you have?
Can you shave the nut?
I currnetly run TRO and and a drop arm with a 5.5" lift.

ugly74

Bronco abuser
I don't think I'd ever heat'n'tweak a pitman arm. that's just not somethin ya wanna start compromising integrity with, IMHO.
I'd put the drop pitman on, and then see how it handles.

Devin

Bronco Kineticist
I wouldn't heat the pitman either. I am not sure how those are processed, but heating them messes with any previous heat treatment that may have been used during production of the part. That isn't a part that I would want to be in question.

OP
OP
kntr

kntr

Bronco Guru
Draglink is mounted on the bottom but the nut hits the frame. There is too much to shave to get it to work. I need about 1-1.5" of room. I run a 4.5" BC lift.

Here is a link to the FLAT PITMAN. It says its a one piece forged....

http://www.trail-gear.com/steering.html

trailpsycho

Bronco Guru
The factory pitman arm doesnt have much drop...I would keep with that for now and see if you have a problem; if you dont need the flat one send it back--before you "tweak" it. That style of pitman arm looks only slightly more "dropped" than a factory Bronco arm....if you have ever seen a Bronco Drop pitman arm...they really have a drop to them. I would stick with the stocker 'yota one for now...if you have a problem, then you have a back-up part to mess with.

YelloTx73

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Katy/Galveston, TX
You could notch out a small section of your frame and fill it in with some round stock thats cut to fit to give you clearance, but that won't be a quick fix either

bronko69er

EB Addict
Loc.
Renton, WA
If it was cold forged it has been work hardened and heating it would soften it.
If it was hot forged you could probably get away with a little more "hot forging" of your own.

OP
OP
kntr

kntr

Bronco Guru
The factory Toyota pitman is a DROP pitman. I had to order a FLAT pitman.

I guess Ill have to stay with the drop pitman and see it if hits anything. Since the PS was mounted a little high, I might get away with it.

trailpsycho

Bronco Guru
The factory Toyota pitman is a DROP pitman. I had to order a FLAT pitman.

I guess Ill have to stay with the drop pitman and see it if hits anything. Since the PS was mounted a little high, I might get away with it.

Let me REPHRASE my other statement...I thought it was obvious that I was talking about YOUR current Toyota arm...but apparently you didnt follow me. The TOYOTA factory pitman arm doesnt have THAT much drop...I would keep with that for now and see if you have a problem; if you dont need the flat one send it back--before you "tweak" it. THAT (stock Totyota) drop-style of pitman arm looks only slightly more "dropped" than a factory Bronco arm....if you have ever seen a Bronco Drop pitman arm...they really have a drop to them. I would stick with the stocker 'yota one for now...if you have a problem, then you have a back-up part to mess with.

Maybe you didnt understand me...thats not a knife, this is a KNIFE--sort of thing.%)

OP
OP
kntr

kntr

Bronco Guru
Have you seen a stock Toyota pitman? It drops quite a bit.... 3-4" or so. I dont have a stock bronco pitman to compare side by side. I dont have a bronco vendor drop pitman to compare either. Ill have ot cycle the suspension to see. Thanks

broncoguy66

My stock yoda arm, 90 pathfinder doesn't have much drop at all, if any. I'm sorry I can't be of more help. Wish I could though.

OP
OP
kntr

kntr

Bronco Guru
Can someone post a pic of the stock bronco pitman and a bronco vendor pitman? How much drop does it have?

OP
OP
kntr

kntr

Bronco Guru
ended up leaving the stock drop Toyota arm on.
DSC00387.jpg

Angles dont look too bad. It drives so nice.
DSC00370.jpg

welndmn

Bronco Guru
I think you need a longer pitman arm as well.
Does it feel kind of hard to steer?
I'd start looking for one a little longer.
A bonus would be a longer one may end up on the arch of the frame and clear.

A stock bronco arm is flat, but does not fit the toyota splines.

OP
OP
kntr

kntr

Bronco Guru
Why would I need a longer pitman? Its not hard to steer. If anything it turns too easy.

OP
OP
kntr

kntr

Bronco Guru
Im sort of limited as its a Toyota box. I still dont see why I need a longer arm?