• Just a reminder that you won't be able to start new posts or reply to existings posts in the Archive forum.

This is where all the old posts go so they can still be used for reference and searched.
  • Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Please help! question with best top install UPDATE

jeffjess72

Loc.
True Northern CA
I am having a very difficult time sliding the top into the riser. I'm sure someone else has has this trouble. What did you finally do? I have tried to use several household products to make it slick but I am still having trouble and have already torn a very small hole in the top. I'm getting very frustrated and P O that it tore so easy. :mad:

Any ideas would be great. Thanks in advance.

Jeff

Last edited:

j.r.nice

Bronco Guru
1) is this bestops riser?
2) how are you trying to slide it in?

If it is tearing holes take a file to the sharp edges. I have a bestop (5yo) and never had a problem other than the usual wrestling contest.
... I usually setup the top frame and door frames ..
...throw the top on it
...slide the leading edge of the top to one side or the other just past the seam
....slip the corded (it's more like flat stiffened) portion into the riser
....slide the top toward the center until the end is past the end of the riser
....go to the other side and pull the leading edge of the top toward me
....pull it past the top's seam

....tuck in the center section into the riser. at this point I pull the top back toward the rear of the truck so the center section stays in place.

kxbronco

Loc.
Knoxville, TN
Jeff, I just put mine on two weeks ago without any problems. I laid the top out on the hood with the inside facing up. Took the cord and started sliding it in. It was stiff enough that I could actually push it half way through while feeding it in. Once I got it about half way, my wife held the top and I pulled it the rest of the way through.

The only thing that I could imagine causing you problem is the two pieces of the riser not aligned correctly, but that should be fairly obvious. Does the cord that slides into the riser slide freely or does it appear to hang up? have you tried holding the top out to the side as you feed it in?

I doubt this has been any help, but mine went smoothly and I really like it so far.

SaddleUp

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Vancouver, WA
Before I modified my riser (combining an STC riser with it) I did the same. I put it on the hood with the inside facing up and just slipped it in. No resistence at all. The only 2 things I can of that may cause a problem (beyond the two sections of the riser not matching which seems obvious) would be to try putting it on with the rest of it attached or if the riser channel got smashed together on the end. With the modified riser I slip the STC channel on the top first and then slide it into the STC portion of the modified riser. That allows me to take the top down with completely removing it first.

OP
OP
jeffjess72

jeffjess72

Loc.
True Northern CA
Thanks :) I am following the instructions just like kxbronco. When I started to feed it in I could only make it about 1". I could tell it was going to be a very tight fit. I tried it a couple more times using dish soap and water to help make it slide easier and the help of my wife. I can get it to go almost half way. The material tore from me pulling on it (I didn't think too hard) not from the metal riser. The riser chanel looks good, not smashed that I can tell. I tried to feed it from the other side and has the same problem. I'm afraid to try anymore with out talking to the vendor that I purchased from to see if mine might be defective and I may be able to get another. Just seems like an impossible fit. Shouldn't be this hard :mad:

Thanks for the help again
Jeff

iwlbcnu

Bronco Guru
I would take the riser back off and feed it on the top to see if it does fit.

But w/ mine I take all the windows out, Kinda roll the top up and lay it on the hood and feed it thru w/ no problems.

OP
OP
jeffjess72

jeffjess72

Loc.
True Northern CA
Doesn't fit even when the riser is off. Called the vendor that I purchased from and they stated that I would have to send it to best top and have them evaluate it before they can get me another (may take a couple weeks). I called best top directly and they told me to soap in up (which I already did) and try it agiain, they said that if it doesn't go in or rips more to call them tomorrow and they would send me another top. Tried it again and it ripped more and I could only get it about half way onto the riser. So I guess I will be on the phone with best top tomorrow to see what we can do.

Again thanks for the help :)
Jeff

Jeepster

Bronco Guru
What a crappy way to install a softop. Bestop of all companys know how to make a better top with ease of installing it. My Lord. Their tops for jeeps are made with a flat plastic tab in the front that just push into the windshield channel. couldn't be easier. That will be the day that I will take the WHOLE top and lay it on the hood to install! Bogus.

Attachments

• Img_0182.jpg
    Img_0182.jpg
    138.6 KB · Views: 33
OP
OP
jeffjess72

jeffjess72

Loc.
True Northern CA
Well best top made it all good. Sent me another top that slid right into the riser. So easy that my wife finished up the install because I was out of town. Looking at the two tops you can see that the rubber piece that fits into the riser on the new top is much smaller than the first top. If anyone else has this problem, call best top. The vendor who I purchased from was no help! Best top's customer service was great and I am very happy with the fit and look of my new top.

Jeff