• Just a reminder that you won't be able to start new posts or reply to existings posts in the Archive forum.

This is where all the old posts go so they can still be used for reference and searched.
  • Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Please Help (running hot) Before I Sell This Thing!!

Saltywater

Loc.
Newnan
Ok, I realize these questions have already been asked and answered in the past, and believe me you, I have read them all. I'm a pretty patient man, but this thing is driving me crazy. Please help!!

Vehicle: 1976 EB, 302 V8, C-4. edelbrock intake, holley 600 carb:

Radiator (heavy duty) is two years old (and just professionally flushed), brand new thermostat, new factory type shroud, etc.. All the same stuff everyone normally replaces to fix an overheating problem. Here's my real issue as I'm sure every bronco owner has had to contend with. I only have a little over 2 inches between the water pump pulley and the radiator. To further complicate matters, I have a vintage A/C system installed and the compressor further restricts my room. I am running a fixed 6 blade (non-flex) fan. The fan is pretty rough and it looks rather dated but it is the only one I can seem to sandwich in this tiny space with a very odd spacer.

My ideas: I have not checked the timing (I don't have a light). Is there a way I can accomplish this without the timing light? Which way do you have to turn the distributor?

I believe my engine is running rich ( I have also read this may cause an EB to run hot? I don't even know where to start with the carb. I have rebuilt several old outboard motor carbs, but I have never messed with a holley.

I have considered buying a new (less restrictive and thinner) radiator, but I hate to throw good money toward one when mine is fairly new.

Also the water pump is new. Any suggestions you might have would be greatly appreciated. I have only owned the bronco for a short while and I'm really becoming frustrated with this problem. I think they should have added an extra 6 inches to the front end so you would have all the room in the world for mods.

Why in the world hasn't someone offered a custom core support designed to inset a custom radiator further forward so you could use say a mustang 5.0 shrouded electric fan? Thanks in advance everyone, I really appreciate it!!!

Saltywater

TOFIC

Bronco Wrencher and Fixer
Loc.
Redcliff Alberta
Dont sell it!! There is hope.

I have had exactly this problem, and I found the 2 causes on mine that were causing me grief.

My two problems were: a useless mechanical fan and a lower rad hose that collapsed when things were warm and flowing.

Although yours has AC and mine does not, here is what I did and my baby sits at the thermstat tempurature ALL the time without fail.

Ditch the fan, I used a Flex-a Lite model 365 in pull mode to replace it. It was the thinnest of the twin fan options that was available and came with its own shroud. I used push mode for the 'cool' factor but you can use the pull mode. This thing is only 3 inches thick and fit out front perfectly on mine. If you have a mechanical fan with a spacer this should work for you. Check with Flex-a Lite for the dimensions and then measure the room you need.

Check the hoses, both heater and rad. Mine was the lower one collapasing under load and heat. Bought both upper and lower moulded rad hoses with the spring inserts and ended that problem. Replaced the heater hoses with new high quality 3/4" Goodyear reinforced lines and I was done. You might want to check your heater core, if it is blocked it will really restrict flow and could cause you this problem.

Brief summary electric fan and new rad and heater hoses.

the old fart in Canada

OP
OP
S

Saltywater

Loc.
Newnan
Old Fart in Canada :)

Thanks for the advice! I'm curious, how did you manage twin electric fans in front of the radiator w/the huge hood latch?

Also, what temp thermostat ru using?

Thanks again!

Jeepster

Bronco Guru
It needs to be asked: do you have a fan shroud?

I have a 76 also. I also thought I had a heat prob. Antifreeze blowing out the purge bottle. Checked with a infrared heat gun and it wasnt really overheating. For me it was a timing issue,spun balancer. You dont need a timing light. just get a cheap (or good) vac gauge (you can do alot with a vac gauge)and go to http://www.buicks.net/shop/reference/engine_timing.html . I also have the same setup elderbrok intake, holley 4160......get a "trick kit" and rebuild. Its easy. Made all the difference for me.

Last edited:

TOFIC

Loc.
Redcliff Alberta
Saltywater said:
Old Fart in Canada :)

Thanks for the advice! I'm curious, how did you manage twin electric fans in front of the radiator w/the huge hood latch?

Also, what temp thermostat ru using?

Thanks again!

Re the hood latch,
the fan unit I used (called the Sirocco fan unit) is not very large. This is why I used it. Get the Dimensions from FlexaLite. I put the unit at the lowest point on the rad that I could and still get the nose piece on. (Damn I am getting good at getting the nose piece off and on, can do it in 15 minutes now). In your case, if you go pull mode, put it covering the bottom of the rad. Remove all of your old fan parts, shroud, fan spacer etc. put in some short fine threaded bolts to hold on the water pump pulley and I will bet your paycheck it will fit perfectly. Use any kind of thermostat, relay system to control it and forget your problems. Flexalite makes one, but I am "frugal". They are pricey so I used the sensing thermostat out of a 1989 dodge charger and a relay I got from a ford pickup in the U Pick yard. System cost me 3 bucks and some wire. works great. Tip for you though, wire the relay power to key on power. That way when you switch off the Bronco the fans don't come on and scare the living crap out of you. Mine does, but it only runs for 2 minutes at most so I left it.

Re the thermostat.

Mine is a 195 degree unit. I got the one that when it fails, it fails open. Cost more but if the thing "goes south" it won't cook my motor. Had that happen by the way so I am a little gun shy.

the old fart in Canada.

feitctaj

FNG
Loc.
Group W Bench
Your fan is not your problem, although the fan needs to be 3/4 of an inch and not more than 1 1/2 inches from the radiator.
Jeepster is right about the shroud. Do not sell it because you have an over heating problem.
Mine was a combination of a small head gasket leak(did not show up on emissions wand test) , improper mounting of radiator and running too rich.
Mine ran at 220 degrees after idling for 5 minutes. Now it stays at 190.
Chin up and head strait forword, it WILL be solved. If you need more help , we will be waiting.

admin

Administrator
Just your friendly, neighborhood webmaster...
Loc.
Phoenix, AZ
Saltywater said:
new factory type shroud,
According to his first post he has a shroud. How far away from the shroud is the fan? Are there gaps around the shroud where air could be leaking past and not getting to the fan?

Slick

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Petoskey, MI
I had the same problem as well!!!

I would be fine as long as I was going OVER 20mph... fine on an open trail... but a tight single track or anything like it and POW... thru the roof!

I started with one of Duff's 16" pusher fans, as long as you don't mind switching over to hood pins it fits fine... a little head scratch'n but no problem.

That helped... it slowed the climb... a lil but still was a problem!

I then added a 2" body lift and one of Chucks radiators! while add'n the body lift the stock shroud no longer fit, so as of now I am run'n without a shroud at all and no problem at all!!!

I think it's MAINLY chucks radiator, but the lift added some air flow in the process. I did all this last fall and have not had any HOT days to really test it out with BUT at worst I'm sure all that'll need doing is ad a shroud.

FYI I also removed my C4 and swapped it for a ZF, so that may have a lil to do with it as well...

FOR YOUR situation... I might concider add'n a trany cooler to limmit the work the rad needs to do and switch over to hood pins, ditch the latch and add an electric AUX fan when at a crawl speed. You can install some lovers in the hood to further vent heat and try chucks 5 blade fan! it's not a flex fan but works well!! I herd of 1 last sugestion... Rulebreaker was have'n a similar problem as well, he adjusted his hood so there was ...like an inch gap still when closed, like a crude Ram Air deal...

If nothing else... try a WAY smaller pully on the H2O pump... that would make it pump more... cool more etc...

I'm no mechanic, but if ya do all this I'll bet you'll not be able to run over 180...

:cool:

mtkawboy

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Billings Mt
This will sound stupid but Ive seen it done on a vehicle bought into the dealership I worked at. Is the fan possibly on backwards?

TOFIC

Loc.
Redcliff Alberta
mtkawboy said:
This will sound stupid but Ive seen it done on a vehicle bought into the dealership I worked at. Is the fan possibly on backwards?

Never thought of this, real possible.

the old fart in Canada