• Just a reminder that you won't be able to start new posts or reply to existings posts in the Archive forum.

This is where all the old posts go so they can still be used for reference and searched.
  • Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Please tell me I'm not nuts

Braddw25

Loc.
Jersey Shore, PA
I just added another project to my stable this month. I was thinking about putting a 400 in my EB in place of the 170 six that's there now. I decided that I didn't want to do the mods needed to make that motor fit though and instead I'm going with a built up 250 six. The only problem is that I had already gathered EFI parts for the 400 I had sitting in my garage and wanted to put that motor into something. Well here she is. I paid $1525 for her on ebay. IT appears that all she needs is some relatively simple body work. I'm hoping that I"m not biting off more than I can chew though with my EB build still in progress. I just couldn't resist the though of replacing the 351M in this truck with my EFI 400 though. Opinions anyone???

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=120539537976&viewitem=&sspagename=STRK%3AMEWNX%3AIT#v4-37

bmc69

Contributor
Bronco Guru
And 'she' is..what ..exactly? Never mind..now I see it.

F-150 'highboy'?..snicker. Not. But anywho, that will sure be a nice truck with a fresh 400 EFI in 'er.;D

Devin

Bronco Kineticist
Should have put the 400 in the EB. I might be biased, though. ;D

Devin

Bronco Kineticist
Ha. I didn't even notice the "high-boy" in the title. hehehee. But, an EFI 400 would be nice in that. But a 250 EB? Come on, man. (just razzin' you.....well, sort of) ;D

OP
OP
B

Braddw25

Loc.
Jersey Shore, PA
Ha. I didn't even notice the "high-boy" in the title. hehehee. But, an EFI 400 would be nice in that. But a 250 EB? Come on, man. (just razzin' you.....well, sort of) ;D

I knew you darksiders would be dissappointed after all the advice you gave me about getting a 400 into my EB. ;D I just fell in love with the little six, and I got really hooked when I visted classicinlines.com. There are some really cool things that can be done to get more power out of the little sixes and I wanted to give it a try. Also, the conversion from straight 6 to 400 was a little more than I wanted to get into. An EFI 400 with Aussie heads is just a very cool motor though, I have to put one in something even if it isn't an EB.

I laughted at the Highboy part too. I don't know where the seller came up with that, but I thought it was a pretty decent truck anyway.

bmc69

Contributor
Bronco Guru
There are some really cool things that can be done to get more power out of the little sixes and I wanted to give it a try..

Hey I'm with ya there. Sooner or later an Aussie cross-flow 6 is gonna fall in to my clutches...muah ha ha ha;D

OP
OP
B

Braddw25

Loc.
Jersey Shore, PA
Hey I'm with ya there. Sooner or later an Aussie cross-flow 6 is gonna fall in to my clutches...muah ha ha ha;D

Funny you should mention that. The crossflow is one awesome motor, but the head won't fit on an American six without modding and the bolt pattern for the bellhousing is different so it won't bolt to US trannies either. The next best thing to a crossflow is an aussie 250 2V and guess who has one of those on a slow boat from down under......:cool::cool::cool::cool: That head will bolt right onto my 250 and breathe much better than the stock log head could ever hope to.

Devin

Bronco Kineticist
There are some really cool things that can be done to get more power out of the little sixes

I suppose that there are some cool things that you can do to a Honda four-banger to get more power out of them, too. Or you could do some really cool things to the 400 and get MASSIVE power out of it.

Just sayin... ;)

Explorer

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Raphine, Virginia
My original plans were for a 250ci, but couldn't find one locally so I built the 200ci. But I'm looking for a 66-69 Mustang for my youngest son and plan a 250 build for it. I've got a year to get-er-done, so hopefully I'll find one. Only bad part is it costs twice as much to hop up a six vs a V8.

Scoop

Contributor
Have Bronco, Will Travel
Loc.
Cuchara, CO
I think the 250 will require some mods too - like 302 engine mounts IIRC. I don't think it's straight bolt-in.

bmc69

Contributor
Bronco Guru
I think the 250 will require some mods too - like 302 engine mounts IIRC. I don't think it's straight bolt-in.

Nope. Bolts right in..just needs 302 bellhousing....;)

OP
OP
B

Braddw25

Loc.
Jersey Shore, PA
I suppose that there are some cool things that you can do to a Honda four-banger to get more power out of them, too. Or you could do some really cool things to the 400 and get MASSIVE power out of it.

Just sayin... ;)

No argument at all Devin. I know you are exactly right. I'm going to be probably paying twice as much for half the power, but as I said before, I really like the little six in my EB. Light weight, plenty of room under the hood to work on it, and really good power band for off roading.

The 400 is an awesome beast of a motor too. I absolutely love them. That is the main reason why I bought a 79 pickup. It's a much easier fit. Now I just have to find a dana 60 for the front and have the rear resplined to 35 spline axles and hopefully I'll be able to wheel this thing without frequent breakage. I'm just guessing, but I am planning on having over 450 ft-lbs of torque with the aussie heads and the cam I'm planning on using.

OP
OP
B

Braddw25

Loc.
Jersey Shore, PA
Nope. Bolts right in..just needs 302 bellhousing....;)

Yup, got that covered. Actually I'm using the flywheel and bellhousing off of a 300 six. The bell is exactly the same as a 302, but the flywheel is balanced right for a six unlike the 302 flywheel. I've also got an NV3550 and adapter kit on the way from AA. And yes, my wallet is starting to hurt but I'm having so much fun